Menu

I think I may have reached official Homeschool Veteran status

:cheers2: Well done!

We've only been going for just over two years and I'm beginning to feel exhausted and worn down. You have my greatest admiration.

Any advice for us novices? How do you keep going over the long term without totally burning out?

Best wishes

Cassy

January 2012 marks our 10th year anniversary of homeschooling. I started with my oldest in Kindergarten. In the fall, he starts high school. Wow. :w00t:

This weeks marks our ten year anniversary too. We made the decision to not return dd to ps after Christmas break. I cried for three weeks, but I was convinced we were doing the right thing.

I still am convinced!

Are you doing anything special to mark your date? I'd like to do something but I don't know what! Ten years is definitely a milestone!

I just hit 12 years. I find it amusing when people I don't know well give me hsing advice because I only have my littles with me. When I explain I have one in college, they tend to backtrack very quickly!

It does go by fast, enjoy every moment.

As far as tips for burnout, I just take a break, read books about hsing, and maybe something like Dumbing Us Down. I keep the newer version on my bookshelf for when I feel like I cannot do this for another 10 years + !! I probably have to do that about once a year or so. I didn't have to do it so often in the beginning. We graduated our ds in May of 2010. He went to a private school for K from August to December, then that was it. We haven't looked back!

Congrats on the veteran status.

Burn-out really isn't an issue at this point. I can't recall when it stopped. Perhaps it's just a way of life, and we don't remember it being different.

I do try new things. Sometimes the new thing may be a record keeping method or a curriculum. It may be moving the school room or switching to block scheduling. Changing things up periodically keeps it fresh and new.

Thanks Shari, that's really interesting and helpful. We are, of course, taking a break right now, and I'm already feeling a greater sense of perspective towards homeschooling, even after just over a week (we have another two weeks before we start back). I worked everyone pretty hard right up until the week before Christmas, which was a bit much with all the Christmas preparations going on too.

I also understand what you mean about the changes you make in the way you homeschool as you go along. Two years ago, when we first started, I had an image in my mind of what our homeschool should look like that was very 'unschooly'; now our days are structured to the extreme. It will be interesting to see how things develop as we go further along on this journey.

I was heartened to read that even veterans have days when they are ready to jump in the car and head for ps registration, I thought it was just me :D.

Good luck with high school, not that you'll need it, it sounds as though you've got homeschooling sorted :001_smile:.

Best wishes

Cassy