Menu

Economics and Statistics

My son in ps 8th grade want to look at economics and statistics (after reading money ball!!) I am comfortable with the math part, but what courses does he have to look at for economics?? If you have any online refs, please let me know

I got him "Whatever happened to Penny Candy" as an intro reading.

thanks

Are you just looking for pleasure reading that would give him an introduction to these fields? If so, Freakonomics and Super Freakonomics are great fun (though Super Freakonomics has a chapter on the economics of prostitution--not sure how you'd feel about that for your eighth grader, but I let my 13 yo read both of them).

Terri

My son in ps 8th grade want to look at economics and statistics (after reading money ball!!) I am comfortable with the math part, but what courses does he have to look at for economics?? If you have any online refs, please let me know./QUOTE]

Here are some online resources, many of them classics:

(not free, but very good)

(just for fun)

My son in ps 8th grade want to look at economics and statistics (after reading money ball!!) I am comfortable with the math part, but what courses does he have to look at for economics?? If you have any online refs, please let me know

I got him "Whatever happened to Penny Candy" as an intro reading.

thanks

The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford

Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell (1st editions is much shorter, 3rd edition has study questions in the back)

The Lexus and the Olive Tree by Thomas Friedman (as much as some recent columns by Friedman rub me the wrong way, I thought this was a good book to explore the ways that developments don't stay restricted to one country or economy).

A subscription to The Economist (there is a Groupon discount for a year at $51, which is very good. I think there are also student discounts.) I would get the paper subscription and not just read online, because there are so many interesting little articles that tend to get lost in a web edition.

We've also been able to get subscriptions to both The Economist and Wall Street Journal using airline miles.

My son attended a week seminar through www.fee.org this summer and I am counting that as his economics high school credit (he spent about 3 weeks in depth study reading their recommended reading list...very lengthy...following the seminar. If your child is accepted, the entire event is FREE, you just have to pay for transportation out there.

I can not recommend this program highly enough.

There have been some good threads on economics, if you do a tag search, such as this one:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324639

Probably mentioned on that thread, but things I have heard good things about on this board include:

- Economics in a Box (MFW uses this)

- Dave Ramsey's course (which has been cheaper thru Homeschool Buyers)

- TTC courses by Tim Taylor (which I've never watched)

- John Stossel, at least for presenting the more Libertarian view of things (along the lines of Whatever Happened to Penny Candy), and he is even used in local public schools around here, free short DVDs and for-sale lengthier DVDs (included in Economics in a Box)

Julie

Are you just looking for pleasure reading that would give him an introduction to these fields? If so, Freakonomics and Super Freakonomics are great fun (though Super Freakonomics has a chapter on the economics of prostitution--not sure how you'd feel about that for your eighth grader, but I let my 13 yo read both of them).

Terri

UMM.. my uncle who is dean of a business school gave me Freakanomics ( I think that is what it was) and I was appalled at all of the profanity in it. Just FYI.