Menu

Question about DIVE science

If you want to do the DIVE labs, you won't need the BJU lab manual. The teacher text is helpful for having answers to the student text review questions.

Are you skipping the DIVE review questions and using the BJU questions instead?

OP - You just need the BJU student textbook. All the questions, answers, tests, and labs are on the DIVE CD-Rom.

OP - You just need the BJU student textbook. All the questions, answers, tests, and labs are on the DIVE CD-Rom.

This is correct, you may wish, however, to use any workbook or questions found in BJU in addition to what the DIVE program provides. I don't know what BJU provides, but I am doing this using Singapore's Biology Matters. We don't do the lab materials, but we are using the text questions and regular workbook as well as the DIVE materials.

BJU has questions after every section of a chapter and at the end of each chapter. I find them helpful for making sure my dc understands ALL of the material, not just the things highlighted in the DIVE lecture and review sheet. I give the BJU tests at the end of the chapters (the tests are tedious, but I think they have helped my dc learn how to pay attention to detail and to study for tests), and we use the Georgia Public Broadcasting videos and worksheets first before watching the DIVE lectures. http://www.gpb.org/chemistry-physics The GPB ones explain things more clearly, in detail, and that helps my dc remember better, as does practicing vocabulary with www.quizlet.com. (Thank you to the person who recommended it!) The DIVE lecture and review sheet are more for the "highlights" - we watch at the end of the chapter before taking the BJU test. We do use the DIVE labs.

Since adding in the GPB videos, my dc is a HAPPY learner of this material, instead of just going through the motions. We are actually getting through the material faster since adding them in, because they make it so much clearer. If I had it to do over, I would probably just use the BJU videos so I didn't have to piece so much together.

BJU has questions after every section of a chapter and at the end of each chapter. I find them helpful for making sure my dc understands ALL of the material, not just the things highlighted in the DIVE lecture and review sheet. I give the BJU tests at the end of the chapters (the tests are tedious, but I think they have helped my dc learn how to pay attention to detail and to study for tests), and we use the Georgia Public Broadcasting videos and worksheets first before watching the DIVE lectures. http://www.gpb.org/chemistry-physics The GPB ones explain things more clearly, in detail, and that helps my dc remember better, as does practicing vocabulary with www.quizlet.com. (Thank you to the person who recommended it!) The DIVE lecture and review sheet are more for the "highlights" - we watch at the end of the chapter before taking the BJU test. We do use the DIVE labs.

Since adding in the GPB videos, my dc is a HAPPY learner of this material, instead of just going through the motions. We are actually getting through the material faster since adding them in, because they make it so much clearer. If I had it to do over, I would probably just use the BJU videos so I didn't have to piece so much together.

quizlet looks amazing. Thank you for mentioning it. I think my kids would like that better than the traditional flashcard. And think how much money I'll save on index cards.

I'm also curious about the show you linked. How does that work? Is it free? Do you purchase the worksheets? It's probably pretty obvious. I should get up and make the coffee before trying to figure it out.

How many hours does science take in a week doing all that? Doing just DIVE takes us about 4 hours. I can't imagine adding in all the BJU questions and tests too as they are complete in themselves. Glad it is working for you though!

Edited by HiddenJewel

How many hours does science take in a week doing all that? Doing just DIVE takes us about 4 hours. I can't imagine adding in all the BJU questions and tests too as they are complete in themselves. Glad it is working for you though!

Yep, wow! I can't imagine doing all of the terms, textbook reading, Dive lecture & review questions, labs, Dive quizzes, *and* adding in section reviews, BJU tests, and an additional video component. :001_huh: I'm sure it's preparing the dc for science-oriented education. I just don't have any headed that particular direction. We'd have to drop some other really important things in order to do what essentially equates to more than two science programs at once. Kudos to the poster who's successfully carrying that out! :cheers2:

This is correct, you may wish, however, to use any workbook or questions found in BJU in addition to what the DIVE program provides. I don't know what BJU provides, but I am doing this using Singapore's Biology Matters. We don't do the lab materials, but we are using the text questions and regular workbook as well as the DIVE materials.

Yes. I like them to have questions over the specific reading material in addition to the DIVE questions. I buy the whole set from BJU, but we are all about overkill in the sciences and my dc read text material quickly. We do the BJU labs that differ from the DIVE labs. We don't write out the definitions to terms, though, in DIVE.

You really only need the student book.

Edited by angela in ohio

quizlet looks amazing. Thank you for mentioning it. I think my kids would like that better than the traditional flashcard. And think how much money I'll save on index cards.

I'm also curious about the show you linked. How does that work? Is it free? Do you purchase the worksheets? It's probably pretty obvious. I should get up and make the coffee before trying to figure it out.

It's free. The notetaking guides are great! The worksheets are linked under the videos. Someone here has explained how to get answer keys, but so far I haven't needed them.

Yep, wow! I can't imagine doing all of the terms, textbook reading, Dive lecture & review questions, labs, Dive quizzes, *and* adding in section reviews, BJU tests, and an additional video component. :001_huh: I'm sure it's preparing the dc for science-oriented education. I just don't have any headed that particular direction. We'd have to drop some other really important things in order to do what essentially equates to more than two science programs at once. Kudos to the poster who's successfully carrying that out! :cheers2:

LOL! It does sound like a lot! However, we don't write out the flashcards, we use quizlet, which goes much faster here! There aren't any DIVE quizzes for this course, just quarterly exams (or am I missing something????), and we do all BJU section reviews orally.

LOL! It does sound like a lot! However, we don't write out the flashcards, we use quizlet, which goes much faster here! There aren't any DIVE quizzes for this course, just quarterly exams (or am I missing something????), and we do all BJU section reviews orally.

I don't think the DIVE Physical Science has quizzes as that was something new to us in Biology.