Menu

introduction: new member (again)

Hi

I thought I'd offer up an introduction. About 3 years ago, I used to post on the old board. For about 2 years before that, I lurked and gathered information, then couldn't help myself and participated in the boards. Then, I kind of dropped off, but still, whenever I needed information, these forums were the first place I looked, and inevitably found what I was looking for (and then some). The support and knowlege in this forum is invaluble.

Now, nearing the end of this school year, for some reason I can't explain, I'm pumped to start planning next year. Pumped? No, obsessed, actually! So, once again, I turn to these boards to reap the info and plan curriculum. And once again, I'm sucked in!

We are entering our 4th year of homeschooling the twins, 9y ds/dd. Both went to a private school for the first few months of 1st grade, but it wasn't working out for any of us, so at Thanksgiving they came home for vacation and never went back. It was the best move we've made with our children. We use Singapore Math, SOTW, going back to Voyages in English for this upcoming year, Rosetta Stone Italian (and a tutor), Spelling Workout, and rely heavily on WTM recommendations for the rest of our studies. We've experimented with various Latin programs and Writing Strands. We are also looking at adding an additional language (deciding between Mandarin, French or Spanish classes offered to hs'ers at the local college in the fall). Planning to use some of the Critical Thinking Co programs for logic next year (or perhaps even this summer - I've already ordered them!). Need desperate help with art classes.

That said, there are way too many good threads in here to stop myself from adding my 2 cents worth! So, I'm off:thumbup: !

Laura (in GB)

Thanks everyone! And, Cathy, Mark Kistler's books look great. Both my dc love art, and I'm just not all that artsy! I feel bad. Thought about real lessons from a local studio, but haven't done it (mainly due to the cost). We do crafts, but as far as really learning about drawing and painting, well, I stink. Will definitely order his books.

Welcome!

It was the same for me....we homeschooled for 3 years, dc went to ps for 2 years but I never left the boards. Whenever I have a question, this is one of the first places I go. I love this place! I find almost any other board difficult to read because of name calling or what seems to be....fighting just to be quarrelsome. People here are thoughtful, thought-provoking, and a real source of wisdom.

Anyway, welcome back!!:)