Menu

Mystery of History Volume I?

gratitude

We just started Mystery of History Volume I about a month ago and my oldest son loves it. He is 8. I am using Apologia Astronomy with it. I am also using Greenleaf Old Testament study that goes over the Old Testament as History and is great with MOH for pulling out the Bible as a part of the study.

My question has more to do with the elements I am missing in the curriculums that we have come from, and ways perhaps to round out MOH.

Up to this point we have used full curriculums. First Sonlight then MFW. The reason we came to Mystery of History is a desire for Bible/History integration and a need for my ds8 to reach his level of interest in subjects that he has in 2nd grade and to reach his comprehension level.

So the elements that I am missing are the following:

Literature/Read Alouds

Bible from the New Testament

Now do I need to put something together for these two areas? How have you rounded out Mystery of History?

My ds8 is doing really well with the notebook pages, time-line, and summary cards.

I think more than anything I am feeling a little lost without a TM. I keep wondering if I am doing enough. My DH keeps telling me that we can pull this together at a level that fits our son. The one thing I am really really liking though is pulling together all of my own Language Arts programs that make for a well rounded writing program.

So what do you use with MOH for additional history? Or do you use MOH as is and find that it is enough?

We used Sonlight literature/read alouds along side MOH. But MOH also has plenty of recommendations in the back for books to use. Plenty of people are happy with MOH on its own but my DS is one who always wants more and wants to go deeper, so using both worked for us. Have you looked at Bright Ideas Press Iluuminations program? It is specifically designed for MOH and schedules readers and read alouds etc.

As far as Bible goes, I think MOH1 is a great year to focus on Old Testament as it ties in with the history. New Testament doesn't tie in well even with vol 2 because the whole NT period is covered in just a few weeks. We did OT only with vol 1 then moved to Kay Arthur's childrens Bible studies after that.

We used Sonlight literature/read alouds along side MOH. But MOH also has plenty of recommendations in the back for books to use. Plenty of people are happy with MOH on its own but my DS is one who always wants more and wants to go deeper, so using both worked for us. Have you looked at Bright Ideas Press Iluuminations program? It is specifically designed for MOH and schedules readers and read alouds etc.

As far as Bible goes, I think MOH1 is a great year to focus on Old Testament as it ties in with the history. New Testament doesn't tie in well even with vol 2 because the whole NT period is covered in just a few weeks. We did OT only with vol 1 then moved to Kay Arthur's childrens Bible studies after that.

What Sonlight program did you use with it? Did you use all of the books.

Thank you for the information. I will look at the Bright Ideas.

I used MOH 1 as the spine for Sonlight B, in place of CHOW and Usborne.

Last year I started MOH 1 again with my 6th grader, along with the first half of SL 6, and some other books. This year we're doing MOH 2 and the 2nd half of SL 6. We've really enjoyed it!

For other books I've drawn from Winter Promise, Diana Waring, Illuminations, and MFW.

Merry :-)

What Sonlight program did you use with it? Did you use all of the books.

We used MOH1 with core B and then rearranged the books from cores C,D and E to go with MOH2 and 3. We did use all the books (exceptCHOW) but that is because DS always wants more. You certainly don't need to use that much.

We used MOH1 with core B and then rearranged the books from cores C,D and E to go with MOH2 and 3. We did use all the books (exceptCHOW) but that is because DS always wants more. You certainly don't need to use that much.

Thank you! You answered my next question too regarding MOH 2 & 3. :)