Menu

Does Latin still work for the Language requirement?

annabanana1992

As is said so often, it depends on the school. Some schools (like the academies) want currently spoken languages, but not all schools. You'll also want to check on what language requirements are for graduating from the school for the prospective major. You can save some hassle if you do dual enrollment.

I guess it depends on the school, but we didn't run into any schools who would not accept Latin for acceptance purposes. Some schools required a modern language as part of the college graduation requirements though. This wasn't a problem for us because ds wants to learn other languages.

Ds was 4 for 4 on college acceptances with 4 years of Latin.

I think 3 yrs of Latin looks significant, but 1 year of Spanish might get you an order at Taco Bell, but that's it! ;)

I would add in another year, and probably even two, or accelerate Spanish (which should be very easy with a background in Latin).

just my 2 cents.

jeri

Jeri,

I agree - one year of Spanish looks like nothing on a transcript and isn't particularly useful...

I just can't seem to let go of my PS mindset of having had 4 years of a language. Hence the thoughts of going for the 4th year of Latin... Perhaps 3 of Latin and 3 of Spanish will be ok???

Another idea, if your Latin program isn't too intense, would be to overlap and do both Latin IV and Spanish I in the same year. Both my dc managed this successfully with French I in 9th (ds did Latin II/French I; dd did Latin I/French I). At those levels, neither language took a tremendous amount of time, though after that it did get hard to do both. Ds spread French II over 2 years while he did Latin III and IV, and so managed to get 4 years of Latin and 3 years of French. Dd didn't continue the overlap--she did Latin III in 10th, and has now gone back to French, so she'll have 3 yrs Latin and 3 yrs French--which I think will be fine.

Anyway, you could try it, and you could always drop Latin IV if it gets to be too much. I do think it would be good to get started on the Spanish, and get through 3 yrs if at all possible. Sometimes certain programs in college want to see a modern spoken language.