Menu

Instead of birthday party?

DD will be 6 next month. She has been talking about having a birthday party for quite awhile now. I'm having some issues though because while DD calls all the girls in her dance class as well as from co-op (the one we don't attend anymore...) friends, I don't think any of them would come. The only people I expect would come would be her best friends, the children of my good friend.

I don't want to get DD's hopes up for a big birthday party and not come through. Soooooo, I was thinking that we could do something else instead. A day trip somewhere? I wish it was summer and I could take her to an amusement park instead. It's gotta be something good to make her WANT to give up the party. Depending on what it is, we could also take one or two of my friend's daughters.

Any ideas of something exciting in driving distance of MD? I was thinking maybe overnight at Great Wolf Lodge with one friend. I also considered overnight to NYC with just DD and I, but I'm concerned about the weather.... definitely don't want to get caught in a snowstorm or anything!

We've had this issue in recent years with ds11, except he knows he doesn't have many friends.

Last year we took 2 friends bowling and then headed back to our house where our family and dear family friends soon arrived to celebrate with cake and ice cream. It worked out good. He was happy!

I don't know what to do this year. He still has few friends. The people he enjoys spending time with at pokemon club or taekwondo aren't really in his age group so we can't invite them to a party. They are either much younger or older. We had decent size parties last year. I may just do a trip to the aquarium and dinner out.

Any of this help, OP? I kinda got to rambling.....

I'd keep it special and small, and definitely local. If she has just one or two friends come, you can do something like the museum or movie and lunch. What about a special event coming to town, ice skating show, circus, etc.?

If you do something overnight now, when she's six, what's left to look forward to for parties as she gets older? I'd save the NYC for when she turns 16, or 18, or a really special occasion. (Actually, we are. We'll take a trip to DC, NYC, or ?? when dd graduates from high school.)

I remember having so much fun planning the parties when my kids were little, no matter what the size. Some were larger, some were just a friend or two, but it was the time that was memorable, not the number of attendees. :001_smile:

Not sure where you are in MD, but what about Longwood Gardens? The conservatories are wonderful in the winter, and you should check the website for special events like organ concerts, fireworks, etc. Everything is on such a big, over the top scale that kids tend to be entranced.

http://www.longwoodgardens.org/

The Brandywine Valley has lots of tourist attractions and lots of hotels/inns. Longwood is in PA, but very close to DE border -- day trip might work, but there is so much to see that overnight might be better.

http://www.brandywinevalley.com/

http://www.thebrandywine.com/

Edited by Alessandra

Can't you talk her into a smaller party with your friends? Go to a fun museum and out for ice cream or play games and have a home party. I'm sorry this is difficult.

This is what I'm thinking. I guess I was just looking for a way to make it HER choice not to do the big party so Mommy didn't have to be mean.

We've had this issue in recent years with ds11, except he knows he doesn't have many friends.

Last year we took 2 friends bowling and then headed back to our house where our family and dear family friends soon arrived to celebrate with cake and ice cream. It worked out good. He was happy!

I don't know what to do this year. He still has few friends. The people he enjoys spending time with at pokemon club or taekwondo aren't really in his age group so we can't invite them to a party. They are either much younger or older. We had decent size parties last year. I may just do a trip to the aquarium and dinner out.

Any of this help, OP? I kinda got to rambling.....

It was definitely help. If nothing else, it makes me not feel so bad that it's just us! Honestly... it seems like it is only an issue at birthday party time. We are blessed to have great friends, but we split our year almost 50/50 at our home and my parents home, so our friends/family are spread out over a large geographical area. DD doesn't really realize that she doesn't have many friends, since she spends so much time with the ones she DOES have.

I'd keep it special and small, and definitely local. If she has just one or two friends come, you can do something like the museum or movie and lunch. What about a special event coming to town, ice skating show, circus, etc.?

If you do something overnight now, when she's six, what's left to look forward to for parties as she gets older? I'd save the NYC for when she turns 16, or 18, or a really special occasion. (Actually, we are. We'll take a trip to DC, NYC, or ?? when dd graduates from high school.)

I remember having so much fun planning the parties when my kids were little, no matter what the size. Some were larger, some were just a friend or two, but it was the time that was memorable, not the number of attendees. :001_smile:

I did think of a museum we could do. Port Discovery is in Baltimore, within a 2 hour drive for many of our friends (most of whom are cousins also). Maybe do something like that... You are right about saving the trip for another time, but we live within driving distance of NYC right now, and won't after next year so I thought now would be a good time to get it in,. :tongue_smilie:

Not sure where you are in MD, but what about Longwood Gardens? The conservatories are wonderful in the winter, and you should check the website for special events like organ concerts, fireworks, etc. Everything is on such a big, over the top scale that kids tend to be entranced.

http://www.longwoodgardens.org/

The Brandywine Valley has lots of tourist attractions and lots of hotels/inns. Longwood is in PA, but very close to DE border -- day trip might work, but there is so much to see that overnight might be better.

http://www.brandywinevalley.com/

http://www.thebrandywine.com/

Oooh. I'll definitely check this out. DD would LOVE an organ concert, and what kid doesn't like fireworks? Thanks!

We've done indoor rock climbing as a winter thing - I know they have it in Germantown, but I'll bet there's somewhere closer to you as well. And we love to go swimming in the winter - there are a couple of decent indoor pools near us with water slides and so forth in PG County - nothing like Great Wolf, but a big slide, two little ones, a couple of jets and a lazy river isn't bad for just a few dollars. Or maybe the trapeze school in DC? Slightly pricey, but very cool.

We've also done NYC in February for a couple days and it was fine. Yes, you're risking snowstorms, but your chances aren't horrible and a little snow adds to the fun.

We've done indoor rock climbing as a winter thing - I know they have it in Germantown, but I'll bet there's somewhere closer to you as well. And we love to go swimming in the winter - there are a couple of decent indoor pools near us with water slides and so forth in PG County - nothing like Great Wolf, but a big slide, two little ones, a couple of jets and a lazy river isn't bad for just a few dollars. Or maybe the trapeze school in DC? Slightly pricey, but very cool.

We've also done NYC in February for a couple days and it was fine. Yes, you're risking snowstorms, but your chances aren't horrible and a little snow adds to the fun.

I think DD is probably a little young for both rock climbing and trapeze... although, learning trapeze looks like so much fun! Can I have MY birthday there? :lol:

I didn't even think of an indoor water park around here. off to google...