Menu

I Need Writing Curriculum Help

TheAutumnOak

I need help with my plans for writing...These are my options...

- Use MCT as a stand alone all the way through

- Use WWE and WWS as a stand alone all the way through

- Use Writing Aids with TOG all the way through

Does anything properly prepare children for excellence in writing without being used with something else? :willy_nilly: ...I really would prefer ONE program if at all possible...

Why not start with EIW? We did with my children when they were 6 and 8. They are on their 3rd year and doing great.

We started with SWI A. The next year we did Medieval history (because we were studying it) now we are working on SICC A and this last semester I a class using All Things Fun and Facinating and youngest was enrolled.

Hinds sight: Would have gone straight to SICC, as my children LOVE Andrew and seem to like me HELPING them rather than teaching them. :thumbup1:

WWE and WWS are meant to be stand alone IF you are still using the techniques to write across the curriculum (ie, you're writing in history, science, lit). I plan to use these all the way through (if SWB can keep cranking out a book per year, maybe she'll get Writing With Style out by time my son needs it :D).

While I will be doing MCT, it won't be taking the place of WWE/WWS, and I'd be fine with WWE/WWS (and writing across the curriculum) being our only writing. I hear that Island level doesn't have much writing, and we may or may not be ready for the other levels of writing when we do the other books for those levels. We'll see. DS has to either get physically better at writing, or learn to type well (he got a typing program for Christmas, so it will probably end up being Option #2 that gets him there :tongue_smilie:).

I guess, take a look at each of your options and decide what you think is missing. Then make sure it really is missing by asking people here who have used the program if they think it's missing that item.

I need help with my plans for writing...These are my options...

- Use MCT as a stand alone all the way through

- Use WWE and WWS as a stand alone all the way through

- Use Writing Aids with TOG all the way through

Does anything properly prepare children for excellence in writing without being used with something else? :willy_nilly: ...I really would prefer ONE program if at all possible...

I would vote for WWE and WWS.

However, I think you can definitely go into WWS without having done WWE (in fact that is what we've done).

And I think that feeling like you must stick with one curriculum - all the way through - isn't really necessary. There are a lot of different skills in writing. Forming good sentences, mechanics of grammar and punctuation, outlining from sources, writing from an outline, revision, narration and summarizing what you read, skills of argumentation and persuasion. They won't necessarily be best learned or taught from one curriculum. Just as different cooking skills are learned from different books, shows and hands on practice.

Just to give you another option: If you want it all in one book some of the old Grammar and Composition texts are really pretty impressive. Now you are going to have to do some research to gather enough for several years but it can be done. (And enjoyed.):001_smile:

There's a group of them by Oscar Isreal Woodley that are grammar and comp, and almost have a creative feel to them--not just dry stuff like some of the texts can be.

Currently we are loving our CW Aesop, but I've got a budding storyteller and I'll probably want to add in some additional writing instruction for him. I don't sweat it, because I'm perfectly happy to use more than one thing at a time as he develops as a writer.