Menu

More MFW/AHL questions

I've spent hours this afternoon reading previous threads, and I know there are a few current ones too. I have several specific questions; I'm hoping you'll bear with me.

My ds will turn 14 at the end of August and be a very young 9th grader. In the past, we've chosen a lit-based history (usually SOTW), but he seems to forget everything within a few months. For the last year and a half, I've tried changing things up a bit, but I've been bad at following through and the curriculum (both formal and pieced together) did not click for him. He has no learning issues, does not seem to have a preference for learning style, and is willing and motivated enough to do schoolwork.

As he gets older, he's preferring to work more independently. He's a check the box kind of kid who does not get excited about large amounts of reading. I find MFW attractive because of the scheduling. I think ds would benefit from the variety of readings, catching different bits of information from different sources.

My questions:

How feasible is it to skip the book Taking the Old Testament Challenge? I'm not familiar with Ortberg and prefer to do our own Bible study, but I'd consider Ortberg if it were necessary for the program. Do I need the Ken Ham :glare: book? I suppose I could swallow that one if necessary.

I wouldn't use The Purpose Driven Life, and I would use our own study on the Book of Daniel. Am I correct in assuming these specific resources are less important to complete the curriculum, and that I can substitute something I feel is more appropriate?

Notgrass is spread out over two years. Is the book eventually read in its entirety? (While I loved Notgrass American History, older dd loathed it.)

My other thoughts/concerns. Will Notgrass be overwhelming--boring, as it was to dd? The lit selections are intense, but it is much less than what he's done in the past so should balance out. He's particularly interested in Greek/Roman mythology, so he'll like that. He's kept a timeline notebook, using those same figures, for many years, so that will be completely familiar to him.

Thank you for any suggestions/ideas/comments. It's quite an investment, even piecing together used, and I'll be praying about what to do.

Everyone's gone out or is sleeping at my house, so I hope I'm not board-hogging :)

My questions:

How feasible is it to skip the book Taking the Old Testament Challenge? I'm not familiar with Ortberg and prefer to do our own Bible study, but I'd consider Ortberg if it were necessary for the program.

I don't think you need the OTC, but I do think reading the entire Old Testament that year is pretty core, since it's the whole basis of comparison to the other readings. I also think that some kind of discussion or writing will help the OT not fly out of his brain, like it would if he just read it and did nothing afterwards.

We did most of the OT reading as a family at our house. We discussed using the basic questions from the Greenleaf Guide that I used with my older dd, and some other things (occasionally OTC questions). For the OT books my ds read on his own, he would either answer OTC questions or type a summary/comments. I think you have some flexibility in what questions you use, but reading the entire OT and doing something *with* it for retention are pretty essential, I think. And using the pre-planned lessons for that will always be the easiest course.

Do I need the Ken Ham :glare: book? I suppose I could swallow that one if necessary.

For us, it was an important part of ds's transition to "rhetoric" type thinking, as far as seeing more adult-level questions that go beyond "what mom says." My ds had just started thinking about things like how science might fit with his faith, or history, or current events. The book covers a lot of those topics.

I read the book aloud and we discussed our own and our extended family's views on some topics. I suppose you could accomplish something similar in other ways, and I've heard of folks who did (such as watching the short videos), but again doing it as written is always the surest ways to cover all the intended facts & skills.

I wouldn't use The Purpose Driven Life, and I would use our own study on the Book of Daniel. Am I correct in assuming these specific resources are less important to complete the curriculum, and that I can substitute something I feel is more appropriate?

I know lots of folks who have skipped or subbed those. Just in case it helps, I'll share what we got out of them at our house.

My son liked PDL because it showed grown-ups thinking about things that many teens think grown-ups don't care about, being that we're all bourgeois and all. Oh, that was me as a teen, sorry! Anyways, it showed my son that he was joining the grown-up club of faith, and that in this club, we do think a lot about actually *living* what we say -- which somehow this kid didn't get out of listening to 16 years of Sunday sermons :)

As for Daniel, neither of us is very big on "inductive" Bible studies, because they don't feel very inductive to us, I guess. So I considered skipping it, also. But in the end I had ds do the Daniel study because I thought there were useful lessons in doing it, for my particular child. He didn't mind all that much. But I'm sure there are other good Daniel studies around.

Notgrass is spread out over two years. Is the book eventually read in its entirety? (While I loved Notgrass American History, older dd loathed it.)

My other thoughts/concerns. Will Notgrass be overwhelming--boring, as it was to dd? The lit selections are intense, but it is much less than what he's done in the past so should balance out. He's particularly interested in Greek/Roman mythology, so he'll like that. He's kept a timeline notebook, using those same figures, for many years, so that will be completely familiar to him.

The Notgrass text is used up through Ancient Greece in AHL, which is less than the first half of the Notgrass set. Notgrass daily questions are also used. However, the quizzes and the extra readings are not used except I think the student answers the Notgrass questions at the end of one book (Bubastes), which are very short.

The rest of the text is used, in its entirety, in WHL. The chapter quizzes will be added, but again not much of the literature is used (I think we used the questions on Beowulf so far).

The Greek mythology will be visited in many more in-depth ways, including Bulfinch's Mythology, Iliad & Odyssey, and Usborne.

Thank you for any suggestions/ideas/comments. It's quite an investment, even piecing together used, and I'll be praying about what to do.

High school is a chunk of $$$, but in the end, I personally spent a lot more on my older dd, trying different materials, getting different supplements and books to read, including some things I never even used or used only one chapter. I've felt MFW high school was a good deal, but YMMV.

Oh, and the MFW syllabus for Rosetta Stone that brings it up to high school level--where can I get that? Is it on the website or part of the AHL package?

It is free with purchase of Rosetta Stone, or you can purchase it separately. I think I paid $15 for mine this year?

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

Not all of the literature titles scheduled in the Notgrass book(s) are scheduled in MFW. Of those that are, most of them are in year 2, beginning at about Week 15 or 16.

Of the extra-biblical resources you named, I would recommend keeping the Ken Ham book. However, some of the chapters are pretty lengthy and MFW schedules a large chunk of it at the beginning of the year, so it can be sort of like trying to drink from a firehose. I'd recommend reading those aloud together (perhaps as a family?) so you can discuss as you go, and/or get videos and other resources as Julie suggested.

We liked the OTC book alright, but my dd seemed to get more out of it when we did it together than when she was working alone. I thought some of the connections he tries to make between the Old and New Testaments were a bit of a stretch. (There ARE connections... but some of what the OTC author tries to do, we just didn't see it, or we had to "talk it out".) I ended up letting her not finish the OTC book, but she did finish all the Bible readings and related projects in MFW. Julie's idea of using the Greenleaf (or some other) guide is a good one.

We subbed another book for PDL.

I had dd do part of the Daniel study just to get the idea and become more familiar with the content of Daniel (aside from just "reading"), but I didn't have her finish the study... for various reasons.

Overall, MFW high school has got "good bones" as they say, but we had to adjust some of the resources and assignments to our family's preferences.

Taking the Old Testament Challenge is by J. Poling, who at one point in his life worked with Ortberg, but the book is not Ortberg's nor is his name mentioned. So while I know that one one point out there those two people knew each other, I don't see his name on the book.

The book itself is just a few comprehension questions to help think about what you just read. There is no interpretation or doctrine. It's basic comprehension questions.

The OTC is there to help you pause a moment and answer a question about what you read. The main Bible of the year is to read the entire OT. There were times in the book that my daughter answered with things like "I don't think the passage does say that. I think this....."

maybe I can dig out the book later and open it randomly and type some questions to help you preview it? I'm kinda hungry after a long road trip, so.. I might forget.

If you don't want to use PDL. ok. Have you read why MFW selected it? that might help to know what to sub.

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8417&p=56383

We liked it. had more of a reaction with it that was like Julie described.

We ended up skipping the Daniel study because my daughter just kept rolling her eyes. She didn't like the style of it. So I said who cares? read the book of Daniel and let's talk. by the end of the year - you know how it gets... :)

I have mixed feeling on Ham's book. We read it, discussed his attitudes and such. I don't buy into his point of view hook line and sinker, so we talked about the book.

Overall, I like the books, we use them for discussion. If there is someone whose point of view we don't like, we talk and discuss.

Notgrass - I'm glad we don't use it alone. ;) I get the idea that Notgrass World History and American History are very different.

-crystal

Taking the Old Testament Challenge is by J. Poling, who at one point in his life worked with Ortberg, but the book is not Ortberg's nor is his name mentioned. So while I know that one one point out there those two people knew each other, I don't see his name on the book.

The book itself is just a few comprehension questions to help think about what you just read. There is no interpretation or doctrine. It's basic comprehension questions.

I've heard this mentioned elsewhere, so I want to provide further information for those reading. When you do a google, Ortberg's name does come up as 'an' author of the OTC book/curriculum. So he definitely had SOME part in writing it, or contributing content material for it or something. No idea why his name doesn't appear on the book itself, though. :tongue_smilie:

http://www.christianbook.com/taking-testament-challenge-daily-reading-guide/john-ortberg/9780310249139/pd/49134?item_code=WW&netp_id=300001&event=ESRCG&view=details

http://www.amazon.com/John-Ortberg/e/B001H6O91W

Scrolling down and looking at the book description on the CBD website, I think this defines what we didn't like about it: "But this book is far more than a simple reading program. It will lead you to a devotional experience with God. Discover why Jesus was so passionate about the Old Testament and quoted from it so frequently. As you open this reading guide and your Bible, you'll see why the same ancient wisdom that Jesus treasured is just what you need for your life today."

That's not what I thought we were getting when I bought it. :confused: I was hoping for an actual study guide, not a "devotional experience" kind of book. And Jesus had a whole lot of reasons for quoting the Old Testament, mostly importantly, to show the fulfillment of prophecy and to rebuke those who challenged His teachings, as well as to show from prophetical Scripture that He is in fact, God Incarnate... not because of experiential feelings with the Old Testament. To me, that's doctrinal.

ok. I agree the marketing description is far over reaching of the actual book and could create the concerns that you are having, Donna.

But I don't think it's a devotional experience either. :lol: and it's not used like that in AHL in my opinion. It just isn't used like that. That's crazy marketing of the book, not actual book or how it is used in ahl. big difference!

I don't think the book is that big of a deal. It was more of a cross reference of "oh, we just read this verse in OT, did you know it is referenced in Paul's writing or Jesus's words in such and such in NT" or sometimes even OT to OT connections. Is it always a great connection, uh no. But

yes, I know that ortberg's name at one point had something to do with it at some long ago point. I know the CBD description says it.. but the actual book doesn't. I don't know why. I assume it is not in deceptive ways though. more along the lines of once upon a time this book was part of something else. People part ways. Poling is still with Willow Creek. Ortberg is not.

If someone one the internet hadn't told me it was with his name, I would not have any clue from the actual book. So, without being told on the internet how evil these people are.... kwim?

Here is my random open the book...

You get a "this week's prayer" p. 48 "Pray this prayer throughout the week. God teach me to enjoy seasons of blessing in ways that bring me closer to you."

(real scary stuff there, right?)

Monday questions on reading of 2 Samuel 7-9:

Does 1 Chron 22:7-10 more fully explain why God doesn't let David build the temple (2 Sam. 7:13)?

2nd Sam 7:16 is not an overstatement. HOw is it fulfilled in Luke 1:31-33 and Heb. 1:8-9

that's the kind of questions in the book. I know it's not for everyone. ok. but if that material would be helpful to see inside the book for content vs. descriptions, I hope it helps.

It does not give answers to those questions. So if you and your child think differently than the questions, then you still have right answers. Therefore I disagree with your conclusion that it is a doctrinal book. It asks questions and you have to come up with your own answers even if you say "no" to the question. :)

then again, if someone wants to totally not use the book, you will not miss anything.

-crystal

I agree the marketing description is far over reaching of the actual book and could create the concerns that you are having, Donna.

Well, just to clarify.... In my case, the marketing description defines the concerns I had when we were going through the book. It didn't "create" the concerns. I really didn't know what to expect with the book. Well, I know what I hoped it was.... and at a glance while looking through books at convention, it looked pretty good. Dh sanctioned it and said go ahead, let's give it a try, and he's more picky than I am. ;) But it wasn't what I hoped. I ended up "feeling" a lot of what CBD describes.

Just being honest. I'm sure it works out to be a great book for some folks to work through. :001_smile:

You all have been so helpful. I appreciate knowing that I can substitute books that I thought might be key. Julie, I especially hoped you'd chime in, since I'd read through so many of your other posts on MFW threads.

Ortberg is also mentioned on amazon for this book, although looking at it, I'm not sure why.

Thank you also for the link to MFW forums. I'm sure I never would have found them on my own (I didn't even know they existed!).

I'm pretty sure we're going to go this route next year, and it's quite different than my dd's high school path. I just love having to figure this all out again. :tongue_smilie:

Again, thank you.

But I don't think it's a devotional experience either. :lol: and it's not used like that in AHL in my opinion. It just isn't used like that. That's crazy marketing of the book, not actual book or how it is used in ahl. big difference!

I don't think the book is that big of a deal. It was more of a cross reference of "oh, we just read this verse in OT, did you know it is referenced in Paul's writing or Jesus's words in such and such in NT" or sometimes even OT to OT connections. Is it always a great connection, uh no. But

Here is my random open the book...

You get a "this week's prayer" p. 48 "Pray this prayer throughout the week. God teach me to enjoy seasons of blessing in ways that bring me closer to you."

(real scary stuff there, right?)

Monday questions on reading of 2 Samuel 7-9:

Does 1 Chron 22:7-10 more fully explain why God doesn't let David build the temple (2 Sam. 7:13)?

2nd Sam 7:16 is not an overstatement. HOw is it fulfilled in Luke 1:31-33 and Heb. 1:8-9

that's the kind of questions in the book. I know it's not for everyone. ok. but if that material would be helpful to see inside the book for content vs. descriptions, I hope it helps.

Our experience with this book has been nothing but positive. My ds has done quite well with this guide. It makes him stop and think about what he's read, and compare it with other scriptures. So instead of just reading the passages and closing the bible, he has to answer some questions and think about it. Here are a few random questions:

"How is touching the ark (2 Samuel 6:6-7) a clear violation of Numbers 4:15? What is something "holy"-person or principle-that you need to treat with greater reverence?"

"Saul's visit with a medium is the last-ditch effort of a desperate man. What has desperation ever driven you to do?"

"David honors the office in spite of the man who holds it (1 Sam 26:9-11). What's a modern analogy to this action?"

"What parallels can you make to the water (Ezekiel 47:1-12) flowing from the temple and the "living water" mentioned elsewhere in scripture (Isaiah 12:2-3; John 7:38; Rev 22:1-5)?

"Though educated in a pagan, secular environment, Daniel's character (Dan 1:8) and close connection to God (1:17) enabled him to have the best of both worlds (1:19-20). How has God used even secular culture to further His purposes in your life? How is secular culture a danger?"

None of these questions are answered for the reader, he or she must look up the scriptures and analyze them for themselves instead of just regurgitating something already written. I like this. My ds likes this. But, I agree that not eveyone will like it. ;) Reading the entire OT is pretty integral to AHL though, so that's kind of a must...but HOW you read it is entirely up to you.

As for the Daniel study, we haven't gotten there yet, but it looks really good to me. :confused:

Our experience with this book has been nothing but positive. My ds has done quite well with this guide. It makes him stop and think about what he's read, and compare it with other scriptures. So instead of just reading the passages and closing the bible, he has to answer some questions and think about it.

Melissa, you've hit the point just great. How is it working for the students!

You've described my daughter's reaction to the book as well. She even took the OTC book to her youth pastor and told him that the book helped her to slow down and think for a few minutes - which was exactly the lesson the youth pastor was teaching the high school leader group. Pastor had been telling them "slow down a bit when you read and think for a moment".

Youth Pastor liked the book too. Turns out the high school leader group are trying from January to June to read through OT and maybe into NT as well. part of a group team effort.

You're right... I didn't really talk about my daughter's reaction. She liked the book. When she disagreed with a question, she had her reasons. If she thought "this isn't making sense", she said so.

My reaction to the book when chatting out loud is more how people talk about someone the author used to know. That's the part that isn't "that big of a deal to me".

-crystal

As for the Daniel study, we haven't gotten there yet, but it looks really good to me. :confused:

I thought it did too. My daughter was just so exhausted at that point in the year, she said it felt like she just couldn't care. So, with all she was doing with church leader group, I didn't "make" her do that book, and she was in process of getting ready for a missions trip to mexico. so.... I let it go. blush.

-crystal

I thought it did too. My daughter was just so exhausted at that point in the year, she said it felt like she just couldn't care. So, with all she was doing with church leader group, I didn't "make" her do that book, and she was in process of getting ready for a missions trip to mexico. so.... I let it go. blush.

-crystal

Oh I can totally see me doing that as well. There's just something about the end of a school year. We get burnt out and exhausted, and I tend to let all sorts of things slide. For all I know, I will do that with the Daniel study as well. ;) Of course, from past experience it seems to be long writing assignments that get pushed aside...which is quite possibly the ONE thing that shouldn't. :tongue_smilie:

I think the Greenleaf Guide will be a good substitution in lieu of OTC for us. I've also been wanting to assign Do Hard Things, so it will be perfect instead of PDL.

I'm not familiar with the specific book used. When I hear "inductive," I think of Kay Arthur, and I don't care for the method. The MFW study must be through the MFW authors since it's part of the lit supplement? That intrigues me, but I need to proceed cautiously. My concerns with a Bible study are two-fold. I'm gunshy about just handing a bunch of books over to ds. I need to be sure what's being taught lines up with what we believe, and I don't want to spend time either fine-combing or trying to pick up on nuances during discussion. I've seen too many Bible studies that insert the author's interpretation. We have terrific audio teachings available to us from sources I trust. (Fwiw, we're Calvary Chapel, not some crazy obscure offshoot denomination. :lol:)

I need to make sure I watch the balance for my ds. This will be an intense curriculum for him, but I know he can do it and be motivated by his success. My older dd is more motivated to learn worthwhile information on her own, and I want more structure for my ds. Your encouragement, both in other threads and this one, has been a blessing.

I'm getting excited about using this for high school. We've never tried MFW; when it first came out, my kids, at least my oldest, were just a little too old, if I remember correctly. But I liked what I saw way back then.

couple of things come to mind....

Do Hard Things - is in MFW in year 4 of high school as part of Speech. So, you might do the book twice if you like MFW and stick with it. that's ok. just letting you know.

No, the Daniel Study is not part of the Literature Supplement. I'm confused there. The Literature Supplement covers Cat of Babustus, Bulfinch, and Odyssey.

Did you say Calvary Chapel background? You'll love this... one of MFW's senior consultants was an associate pastor in CC churches in some city in California for years. You might want to call the MFW office next week and ask to speak with Bret about any concerns from that angle. He'd totally understand as his CC roots run very deep. I know they don't attend one now, but maybe that connection will help you. It's completely ok to call them with those kinds of questions. Just ask for Bret. I do that a lot. He's become a good friend over the years. not everyone at MFW comes from the same church background by the way.

One of the things in MFW is the weekly conference where we get to sit down one on one with our children and see what they are writing in the Bible study and history and really engage them in conversation.

-crystal

rather than editing above post..

The Lit. Supplement is the SMARR guide with some adaptions by mfw.

The Daniel Study is not written by MFW author. It is c. 2004 Precept Ministries International. looks like one of those kay authur things that you don't like the style of. can't see a specific author but it's not mfw.

-crystal

In regards to The Purpose Driven Life, I've read it and even though I do NOT agree theologically with Rick Warren on a whole, I am going to have my ds read it. It did have some good stuff in it, stuff you can take away and apply, and I think a 14 yo would enjoy it, grasp it. My ds is pretty strong theologically, so he'll question the questionables when he runs into them. I have no fear that he'll be indoctrinated into falsehood, instead I think he'll see the clear message of the book which is basically you were CREATED for a purpose. Don't waste the life God gave you. ;)

Now having said that, I was initially put-off when I saw it was one of the books in AHL. I decided I would assign something else, because, gasp, I wasn't going to have my ds read the book that began what dh and I call the "40 days of fluff." :lol: Instead I thought I'd have him read John Piper's Don't Waste Your Life. But, I have since changed my mind. Piper's book, for me, was a somewhat boring read. I find Piper hard to follow at times so why make my ds read it when PDL is basically saying the same thing, and in a language anyone can understand and relate too. There is a reason PDL was so popular amoung the masses, it's simplicity can be grasped by one and all.

For a 14 yo, I think the good in it will out weigh any shallowness and I think he'll find it an enjoyable read. :001_smile:

Edited by Melissa in CA

I decided I would assign something else, because, gasp, I wasn't going to have my ds read the book that began what dh and I call the "40 days of fluff." :lol:

::snort:: :lol::lol: I think my big fear is that ds might actually *like* it.

I am half-joking. My ds would probably skim through and get nothing out of it. But I see a title like this in a mostly-unfamiliar curriculum, and it raises a red flag. Besides, if I can't tweak a curriculum to death, where would I find my joy as a hs mom? :D

You all are too funny! I keep chuckling at my in-box :)

The Daniel Study is not written by MFW author. It is c. 2004 Precept Ministries International. looks like one of those kay authur things that you don't like the style of. can't see a specific author but it's not mfw.

Yes, I remember trying to figure it out one time. Here's the thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2493855#post2493855

::snort:: :lol::lol: I think my big fear is that ds might actually *like* it.

I am half-joking. My ds would probably skim through and get nothing out of it. But I see a title like this in a mostly-unfamiliar curriculum, and it raises a red flag. Besides, if I can't tweak a curriculum to death, where would I find my joy as a hs mom?

Oh, now I can definitely relate to THAT! I actually initially didn't consider MFW for hs because of Purpose Driven Life. I mean, yes, I read it several years ago and it was shallowly enjoyable on a humanistic hey-look-at-me-and-what-I-was-designed-to-do kinda way...hahaha...but I thought no way, never would I consider it a school book for MY precious son (insert favorite obnoxious arrogant homeschooler gasp). :lol:

And now look at me...totally accepting of it. I guess that old adage is correct...never say never! :D

Of course ds hasn't read it yet. I may be singing a different tune in a few months when he decides to throw good solid biblical doctrine away for a post-modern, feel good, social self-help gospel. :glare::lol:

Oh, now I can definitely relate to THAT! I actually initially didn't consider MFW for hs because of Purpose Driven Life. I mean, yes, I read it several years ago and it was shallowly enjoyable on a humanistic hey-look-at-me-and-what-I-was-designed-to-do kinda way...hahaha...but I thought no way, never would I consider it a school book for MY precious son (insert favorite obnoxious arrogant homeschooler gasp). :lol:

And now look at me...totally accepting of it. I guess that old adage is correct...never say never! :D

Of course ds hasn't read it yet. I may be singing a different tune in a few months when he decides to throw good solid biblical doctrine away for a post-modern, feel good, social self-help gospel. :glare::lol:

This is hilarious!:smilielol5:

Pretty much sums up my comments, "I'm NEVER going to use Saxon," and "I'm NEVER going to use Singapore," depending on which year it was.

(I LIKE these MFW people!!!)

I'm in the process of deciding jr high/ high school history and lit. Looooving listenting to all the discussion. You ladies are fun! So, please tell me what is the doctrinal slant of MFW? And what do you love best about the curriculum as a whole? Rondi

Rondi,

Here is their official statement of faith from their website

My Father's World Statement of Faith

We believe that this world and all of its inhabitants were created by our loving God for eternal fellowship with Him. Man, by his sin, has become separated from God, and only through personally accepting the gift of reconciliation purchased by Jesus at the cross can he regain his fellowship with God. We believe that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light, and only through Him may people find peace with God.

We believe that the Bible is the truly inspired word of God, that it is fully accurate, and that it contains the wisdom of God that we need for our lives. As we read the Bible, the Holy Spirit instructs our hearts and minds to understand God's eternal truth and shows us how to apply that truth to our lives today.

We rejoice that God has adopted us as his children. We know that when we die we will be with Him in heaven forever. We look forward to worshipping Him with the multitudes from every tribe and nation. We believe that He has given us the task here on earth to enable others to hear (in their native language) the Good News that their Creator longs for them with an immeasurable love, and that He has made a way for them to be reconciled to Himself.

Then in the FAQ they say this

As a company we hold to a literal 6-day creation and this belief is reflected in our programs. We also understand this is a topic of debate in the Christian community. Our goal is to hold to our beliefs without excluding anyone from using our curriculum. This is a decision that each family and ultimately each person needs to make. The Bible is handled much in the same way. Scriptures and other books are provided, but interpretation is left up to each family.

Protestant.

More than that, MFW gives reading schedules for Bible, but interpretation is left to parents. I like that.

I also like that their staff people do not all go to the same church or denomination.

They use a wide variety of books from various authors.

What do I like best? hmm.. been using it since 2003. hard to say what's best...

here are a few of my favorite things :)

*I like the lesson planning style

*I like the multiple sources

*I've enjoyed how my children get to hear real stories and biographies and want to not just be doers of the word

*I like using Story of the World in the 5 year program

*my oldest child, 10th grader, is looking forward to keep using it for 2 more years.

*My middle gal has enjoyed the notebooking and book basket.

*I like that I can adjust for my teaching styles and their learning styles.

All of those are general up to high school years... but I just remembered this is the high school forum..oops

specifically in high school

*enjoyed the challenge of daughter reading entire OT in one year and NT in next.

*enjoyed watching my child's writing grow and develop.

*she's reading plenty. classics, plus fun stuff

*she likes being able to work more independently and check the boxes and grids.

Overall, since 2003, in my family, it's working. I don't feel overwhelmed and get a lot done on most days. Each day is doable and reasonable.

-crystal

specifically in high school

*enjoyed the challenge of daughter reading entire OT in one year and NT in next.

*enjoyed watching my child's writing grow and develop.

*she's reading plenty. classics, plus fun stuff

*she likes being able to work more independently and check the boxes and grids.

I don't feel overwhelmed and get a lot done on most days. Each day is doable and reasonable.

-crystal

:iagree: with what Crystal wrote in what I quoted.

My dd used MFW AHL for 9th grade last year and loved it! I loved it because she loved it! :D

DD's writing and understanding really improved throughout the year! This year she's taking an AP level English/Literature class (from some Homeschooling moms that are teachers at the Homeschool co-op), and is doing so well! She is really enjoying it, and her teacher is impressed with her work and essays! DD tells me she doesn't think she'd be able to even do this class if she hadn't done MFW AHL last year! It gave her understanding for writing, competence and confidence to go forward and work hard.

I know it doesn't work the same for every child, but honestly, it was the best thing we could've done for dd! Double thumbs up for MFW from our camp! :001_smile: