Menu

ALERT FOR ORTHODOX! 60 minutes piece

is on now regarding Orthodox monks - since it is the monastery is hovering over the Aegean Sea (sp?), I am going to make a wild guess that these are Greek Orthodox monks

very cool

Thank you for posting! I think it's probably a repeat from earlier this year, but I think it's very cool that they're repeating it on Christmas, don't you? What a great day this has been, celebrating the nativity of Christ. I don't know if the monasteries on Mt. Athos are all Greek Orthodox, but they are all Eastern Orthodox. My husband and son really want to go. Did you watch it? What did you think?

Edited by milovaný

I thought it was interesting when the host related the belief that Mt. Athos is the holiest place on earth citing that over a thousand liturgies are prayed everyday.

There were so many good points that it is hard to summarize it. I was filled with joy that the piece showed the secular world and the silly Christian world what holiness and peace actually look like. I tend to get dismayed when viewing people punch each other over overpriced shoes and toasters and putting rhinestones on their v@ginas.

I laughed when a monk laughed at the host. The host asked, "Why are you laughing?"

The monk replies," I am laughing because you think you can stop me from praying."

I am little bummed that I would never be allowed to visit Mt. Athos. The monks are right. Women would be a distraction and then it would be some some tourist attraction instead of a holy place.

One woman has been on Mt. Athos. I'm glad it's privately owned and not a part of a state government so they can enforce that rule to the benefit of their prayer life. While it would be lovely to visit as a tourist or even pilgrim (as a woman), my wish to do so should not supersede their desire for me not to do so. I'm thankful for their prayers -- they're praying for us all, so I hope they keep on with that. God knows I need their prayers.

One woman has been on Mt. Athos. I'm glad it's privately owned and not a part of a state government so they can enforce that rule to the benefit of their prayer life. While it would be lovely to visit as a tourist or even pilgrim (as a woman), my wish to do so should not supersede their desire for me not to do so. I'm thankful for their prayers -- they're praying for us all, so I hope they keep on with that. God knows I need their prayers.

I thought it might be She who has visited. :001_smile: