Menu

Noeo vs. Elemental Science :: Which do you prefer?

shukriyya

I've done a bunch of searches for this and there is no dearth of material discussing the pros and cons of each program. It seems that a lot of folks preferred ES but were discouraged by having to assemble the lab/project materials themselves and so ended up doing Noeo.

Is this your main reason for preferring Noeo over ES? Other reasons? Is there anyone doing ES who finds the gathering of materials within the realm of doable?

I just bought ES but am second-guessing myself now.

Since you've already bought ES, I think you should just jump into it and see if it's working. The lab materials are NOT that daunting, if that's the only problem. The programs look very similar. My reasons for dropping ES were more complex, since I was looking for something more story-like and ended up going with Apologia, a very different program. Also, I didn't admire the grammar and spelling mistakes, along with some of the poor artwork, in ES. However, I was prepared to live with these if the format had worked for our family. In the end, neither NOEO nor ES would have worked for us, I suspect, and I am happy with our "spine-based" science instead.

If you end up going with ES, I did write a few poems to go with because I didn't like the ones that came with the program. You can download them free here.

Thanks for both of your replies and Jay3fer thanks for the links to your poems.

The cost is less for ES except that it doesn't include any of the books so I'm thinking it works out to about the same if you don't buy the kits with Noeo. And looking at the spines they use I see a lot of overlap.

Would you say these two programs are equally meaty?

I wish I could give an opinion but I will bump this up again. I have bought Noeo 1st grade Biology and look forward to using it with my 2 sons. I was hoping to see more responses to this thread because I also decided between ES and Noeo. If Noeo does not work out for us, we will give ES a try but I am hoping Noeo will be a good fit.

Would you say these two programs are equally meaty?

Only having seen ES close-up, I'd say it's only as meaty as the readings you do with it, though I like the idea of the lapbooking component. The program itself is "bones-only"; a schedule, with activity suggestions and other materials, but almost no meat at all of its own. :-)

(but I suppose that's why I decided not to use it - and though I'm not using ES, we do still have the books, and we can read them whenever they tie into our current science program. I may NEVER crack open the Janice VanCleave ones, though; they look so dull...)

For anyone considering ES....I've been super impressed with Paige's prompt responses to my questions and her willingness to be available should I have more. I'll probably add a few more living books to the curriculum but am feeling like it's going to be a good fit. I found a couple of dvds for kids that focus on the scientists being studied so will add those in as well. I also like the way she has organized the lab materials needed both in terms of weeks and also in terms of unit being studied. This has lessened some of my concerns about gathering materials.

We are finishing up Earth Science & Astronomy. I enjoy it being as simple or complex as I want. I don't feel bad if we skip some experiments here and there or only read the suggested readings sometimes. Then I love when we go off into a deep study about this or that if my boys are really interested in something. I guess I like feeling the control of doing what we want not that since I've paid for all this we have to do it.

:auto: (only because my 9 year olds are looking over my shoulder and want the car on here).