Menu

If we wanted to try Singapore, what would I need?

PentecostalMom

Singapore has a supplemental series called Math Express Speed Maths Strategies. I haven't personally used them but they sound like they are specifically designed to teach mental math strategies. I would recommend trying a search to see if you can turn up any reviews.

I've got the first three in this series.

They are solely mental math and the first couple are just with basic arithmetic techniques. I think if I were using supplemental math only, I'd be going with the iExcel books (which are being replaced... I haven't seen the replacements). They have some mental techniques but also some really good work with word problem set ups.

I think the iExcel books can be used alone and could be a good supplement. I don't know that if you use the textbook and workbook if you'd really consider that supplement... at that point, you're pretty much using the program so that may not be what you're looking for.

I don't know that if you use the textbook and workbook if you'd really consider that supplement... at that point, you're pretty much using the program so that may not be what you're looking for.

I may possibly consider a complete switch, but I do want to try it first. My older ds excelled with Abeka and dd is doing good, but I think something different may be better for her as she has a different learning style. If I do choose to use both programs, I would only use parts of both, not try to get her to do all problems in both programs.

Would I need both textbook and workbook to try it, or can I get one or the other? Would I need the HIG? We did use the EB books a bit, but I wasn't impressed. I have read on the forum that the EB books are not a good example of the rest of the program, so I am willing to try again.

I personally like the HIG the most. The textbook has the problems that you work through while teaching from the HIG. The HIG will often have some examples to put up on the board, but also have you work through certain TB problems, but those problems aren't listed in the HIG (which I find annoying, because I want the problems in MY hands).

If you're using Abeka AND Singapore at the same time, I'd probably forgo the workbook for now. If you make a total switch, add the workbook back in, plus you'd want to get IP and CWP (the meat of the program).

We just switched over to Singapore from MM. I have HIG, TB, WB, IP, and CWP, but we were already using IP and CWP with MM. I felt like to really get the most out of Singapore, I should go ahead and get HIG, TB, and WB. I just got one semester worth to start, then once I had tried it for a bit, I went ahead and ordered the next semester with Christmas presents. :D

We didn't get the HIG until 3rd grade. When doing earlier level math you're sitting w/ you child working through problems which are simple and straightforward enough that the HIG isn't needed. Your daughter appears to have a full load, you'll want to keep is short and simple. Mental math at this age is just basic addition and subtraction/ flashcards. No book is req'd for this. We use the workbook and textbook, but find myself skipping the workbook half the time and going straight to the workbook.

We are using the Singapore HIG, textbook, and workbook alongside CLE math. I've also bought the CWP but won't try to squeeze that in for awhile. We are still getting our feet wet. I skip the mental math drills at the back of the HIG because my dd is getting enough facts practice in CLE. We've recently dropped the flashcards and speed drills in CLE because my dd is seeing the problems in both programs and is learning her facts through the Singapore games and all the problems across both. I like the Singapore HIG and we use the game suggestions a lot. Singapore is pretty quick in the 1A level so far. Our previous exposure to number bonds in Earlybird and RightStart A has helped a lot. CLE also introduces this concept with a triangle and related facts. So far this combo has been really good for us.

You could just get the 1A HIG, textbook, and workbook to give it a try and see if it works.

Kathy

Would I need both textbook and workbook to try it, or can I get one or the other? Would I need the HIG? We did use the EB books a bit, but I wasn't impressed. I have read on the forum that the EB books are not a good example of the rest of the program, so I am willing to try again.

Work book and text. This is for the 5 year old, right? I got the HIG but found it slowed me down. I kept trying to get my child to conform to her goals, and it didn't work. I'd come here and ask if child HAS to have X to go to Y, and was told no over and over. The Board didn't lie.

I no longer waste money on the HIGs. I could think up simple card and dice games on my own for the early years. If you start feeling lost, you can always add one to your pile. The supplement I like best is FanMath.

Just the text and workbook.

Sure, if you find you love it then later you can get other things to work with. But for now and really for the whole time you use it, you really just need the text and workbook. It's nice to have the HIG to have solutions so you don't have to spend time working something out AND they include nice mental math exercises in there, too.