Menu

Dh got his mother an ipad.

She is older, sick, has someone with her 24/7. He read somewhere that nursing homes were using them to engage their patients.

She will probably not be happy about the gift and he really wants her to do something to keep her mind alive and occupied.

I want her to be thrilled. Then dh would be thrilled.

I get too annoyed over stuff like this that really doesn't matter.

You might set up some one-on-one lessons for her so that she can get used to moving around in it. My son used to give internet lessons to seniors at the public library. It was a special free program they offered. He had a lot of seniors that he helped learn about email, downloading games, videos, photos etc. They really appreciated the one-on-one and sometimes it is better being taught by a person other than family too. :)

Maybe he can preload some apps she would enjoy so he can begin playing with them right away and pique her curiosity.

Disclaimer: I don't have an iPad! But I wondered if he might also be able to have the main screen show only a limited number of options, at least while she's getting used to it? That way she wouldn't feel too overwhelmed by trying to look at a dozen things. I don't know if you can set up the iPad like that. I'm just thinking of a computer screen where you could have icons for just a few favorite programs. The rest are available, but you'd never even have to look at them if you didn't want to.

My mom is older (not sick though) and my sister and I got her an iPad this year - mostly because her internet is still dial-up, so she rarely goes online, the iPad gives her the 3G to be able to go online and get email more easily.

I spent a good amount of time getting everything pre-loaded for her, including her email, Netflix, games she likes (scrabble, etc.), and the iTunes account so when she opens it, it's ready to go (it's also fully charged).

I think if your DH pre-loads it and gets it set up, that will make it that much easier for her to want to start using it.

I spent a good amount of time getting everything pre-loaded for her, including her email, Netflix, games she likes (scrabble, etc.), and the iTunes account so when she opens it, it's ready to go (it's also fully charged).
OT, but are you SURE you want to enable Netflix on an iPad which only has 3G access to the internet? Some carriers slow the service significantly above 2GB of usage and I believe others might even charge for data above that point. I would think that could very problematic!

OT, but are you SURE you want to enable Netflix on an iPad which only has 3G access to the internet? Some carriers slow the service significantly above 2GB of usage and I believe others might even charge for data above that point. I would think that could very problematic!

I know....she said she'd like to see how it worked, so I installed and set it up for her, explaining the data it'll use and that she'll likely blow through her 2GB before the end of the month if she tries to watch a lot of movies - it's one of those "I told ya" things - I'm sure she'll figure it out and drop it when she realizes the data it'll use (where she is ATT is pretty good for the 3G, I've used my iPad up at her house without speed issues).

I know....she said she'd like to see how it worked, so I installed and set it up for her, explaining the data it'll use and that she'll likely blow through her 2GB before the end of the month if she tries to watch a lot of movies - it's one of those "I told ya" things - I'm sure she'll figure it out and drop it when she realizes the data it'll use (where she is ATT is pretty good for the 3G, I've used my iPad up at her house without speed issues).
According to this article it looks like every time she passes a multiple of 2GB in a given month another $25 will be added to the bill by AT&T. That could get expensive, considering at 3G speeds it would be straightforward to do that daily or perhaps even more often.

Anyway, I agree that setting things up ahead of time with a limited set of options is a good way to go. If she likes it, she will either ask for more or will figure out how to do more on her own. I hope it works out for you!

She is older, sick, has someone with her 24/7. He read somewhere that nursing homes were using them to engage their patients.

She will probably not be happy about the gift and he really wants her to do something to keep her mind alive and occupied.

I want her to be thrilled. Then dh would be thrilled.

I get too annoyed over stuff like this that really doesn't matter.

That is a very thoughtful and caring gift. I hope that she will recognize that and be thrilled at the intention of the gift even if she is not immediately thrilled by the actual gift itself. I also hope that, given the opportunity to use it and get used to it, she ends up being truly thrilled all around.

She may need a tutorial, and have some apps preloaded, email set up, etc. but after that it's so intuitive... my 1 1/2 year-old uses ours, which inspired my husband to get one for his computer illiterate grandfather. Within an hour, he was taking and emailing photos.

iPads: good for toddlers, teenagers, and grandparents everywhere. ;)

Of course, it's also good for Mamas, but as I have to share mine with the toddler and the preschooler, I almost never get to use it!

Disclaimer: I don't have an iPad! But I wondered if he might also be able to have the main screen show only a limited number of options, at least while she's getting used to it? That way she wouldn't feel too overwhelmed by trying to look at a dozen things. I don't know if you can set up the iPad like that. I'm just thinking of a computer screen where you could have icons for just a few favorite programs. The rest are available, but you'd never even have to look at them if you didn't want to.

Yes, you can.

You can also make folders.

You can create photo books in iBooks (use Book Creator - can add captions, etc. too) and then at the touch of a finger she has photos to look at, show off.

Show her how she can enlarge text , too - makes for easier reading.

Dh's cousin got his mother an ipad and she absolutely loves it. She uses it for taking pictures and videos. Small enough to hold in her hands, lift, move around etc., and large enough that the pics are very easy to see.