Menu

How do you do stockings?

When I was growing up, my family's tradition was that when we all came downstairs on Christmas morning, we could open our stockings right away. Then we had to eat breakfast before opening any of the wrapped presents. Isn't that a sadistic tradition? I guess it was because we had a large family, and unwrapping could take a long time.

We haven't really come up with a good routine to replace it. Stockings are more of an afterthought, an anticlimax after the bigger and better presents have been opened. It kind of makes me wonder why we do them.

When and how do your kids get their stockings? Any suggestions for us?

Our stockings are free game. I always put food in them so I don't have to make breakfast. Little boxes of cereal, fruit, granola bars. I will be making a breakfast this year before we head to church.

Everything else is going to be wrapped or in cloth bags so they won't be opened till after church this year so I made sure to pick up some little toys for the stockings.

Stockings can be unwrapped as soon as the kids wake up - on their own if everyone is asleep. We have a rule that the sun has to be up (after many 4 am "Santa's Come!" wake ups) before anyone can look under the tree.

We do unwrap before breakfast, but I have a breakfast casserole that cooks for an hour while we unwrap gifts.

DH and I get to make our coffee before the presents get done!!!

Of course, this "civilized" Christmas morning only came about after the kids were about 10. Before that.... chaos.

Well, our stocking tradition is a little odd, in that our kids have two stockings. :D I bought a new stocking for each kid as they were born, and then when the last one was born I bought matching ones for our whole family, but we still have the old ones. My kids wouldn't let me NOT put them out, so they're hanging from their bed posts in their bedrooms, and Christmas Eve I put a small toy (or this year, slippers), and some candy in there to entertain themselves with in their bedroom until I'm ready to have them come out for the "main event" in the livingroom. We then do our main stockings one at a time, youngest to oldest, before opening the presents.

We don't eat breakfast until we're done, BUT we do snack on our stocking treats as we do all the unwrapping, and breakfast is usually something quick (like this year it's going to be biscuits and gravy, but the biscuits are already made, and I'll be browning the sausage tonight. just have to add the gravy mix and milk in the morning).

Our stockings are usually stuffed pretty full, especially with treats, because breakfast is the ONLY meal I cook on Christmas. We do our main meal on Christmas Eve, and then it's "fend for yourselves and eat the leftovers!" on Christmas day. :)

I've always stuck to my guns and insisted that stocking are last. It eases the transition after the crazy, exciting opening of larger presents. While we open presents one at a time (to admire, and so I can accurately write everything down), stockings are done more individually. We might stay in the same seat, or get down on the floor, pulling things out. Some of the stocking gifts are wrapped (paper only), some not.

I think of it as being like sweet dessert after a great dinner. :D

My kids get up really early (3 or 4 am) to open all the things in their stockings, it's their tradition. They aren't supposed to wake me or DH up but most of the time they get so excited and loud I can hear them.

They aren't allowed to touch the Christmas gifts until everyone is up and grandma has gotten here.

Kids can go through their stockings without us, but they can't touch the presents. They have to wait for the sun to come up before they bug us.

I put something in their stockings to keep them busy. Dd11 is getting a book she's wanted to read. Dd9 is getting a little kit about DaVinci. Dd7 is getting a Lego set. Dd5 is getting a notebook and Crayola Twistables. Dd3 is getting a sticker book. They'll also get candy.

We open presents one at a time and stop for breakfast when people are hungry. We are fine with presents taking hours as kids stop to play with stuff.

When I was growing up, my family's tradition was that when we all came downstairs on Christmas morning, we could open our stockings right away. Then we had to eat breakfast before opening any of the wrapped presents. Isn't that a sadistic tradition? I guess it was because we had a large family, and unwrapping could take a long time.

We had the same tradition and only 2 kids! It made me crazy, especially because it was practically the only day of the year that we had a big family breakfast! But I grew to love it over the years and now subject my children to the same torture. :lol:

Stockings were an afterthought in my childhood but not for my husband. He grew up in a large family where stockings were fair game as soon as one awakened. We found this was the way to go when our son was younger. We hung his full stocking on his door knob. The small toys (usually Lego sets) would keep him amused until we (including my visiting parents) were sufficiently awake and coffee was made. Santa gifts came next, followed by family gifts. A leisurely breakfast followed.

Of course it helps that we attend a Christmas Eve service--not one on Christmas day--so there is never a time crunch.

Growing up, my sisters and I opened our stocking gifts on Christmas Eve night. I started doing that with my own kids but found it to be too hectic. Every Christmas Eve we go to my grandparents house and get back so late.....the kids never really got to enjoy their stocking gifts because they would have to go immediately to bed and then open their bigger gifts the next morning.

So now I make sure the kids have an equal amount of gifts. And I count backwards from Christmas and let the kids begin opening them, one per day (for example...if they have 10 stocking gifts, they would begin opening one a day starting on December 15th all the way up till Christmas Eve). The kids really enjoy this because it gives them something to open each day and they get to enjoy those small gifts more.

Generally stockings are last here.

Christmas Eve morning the kids open their sibling gifts. That gives them something to play with during the day while I'm wrestling the turkey and running last minute errands for MIL. Then we head to the ILs for dinner and ultimately open the PJs as well as the grandparent gifts before heading home. Christmas morning whichever child is up first wakes the house.... I make coffee before the extravaganza starts. Then we take turns opening the gifts under the tree and finally, after the paper is cleaned up, we dig through our stockings.... And then it's time for breakfast!

Our dc could open the stockings as soon as they got up. Sometimes we put very nice things in there, so the stockings weren't just afterthoughts. :-) We also put a kiwi fruit in the toe. :D

Anyway, dds got up and went through their stockings--they had strict instructions NOT to wake their parents--and when Mr. Ellie and I got up, we opened everythng else. Then we had breakfast.

We do a treasure hunt. I give the kids the first clue and send them all over the house and outside in search of more clues. At the end of the hunt they find their stockings, and we get breakfast goodies and start opening presents.

I can't tell if it burns off some energy or makes them even more hyper, but they love it.

Edited by WordGirl

Like we did it in my house growing up: Stockings "opened" right away, with no waiting or taking turns (well, there's just the three of us, plus two bunnies). While opening stockings, we light a fire and I make my cup of coffee. Then we start on the presents; we take turns opening them.

This year, I'm thinking of making a breakfast casserole or something (usually it's just bagels). So I'll put that in the oven before we start the presents.

Wendi

We opened presents Christmas Eve when I was a child and Santa Stockings were Christmas morning. My dc due to church scheduling open one present Christmas Eve, stockings Christmas morning, church and then presents. They get used to whatever plan you give them. Have fun!

The kids open stockings while we get coffee going and the presents are being sorted by person. After we are settled in, then the big presents are mauled.

We go out for Christmas breakfast about 10 or 11 so in the morning it is just snacks.

I do know that some kids really need to eat before the chaos of the morning so I understand some families waiting for after breakfast.

My kids each have a pile from Santa and the stocking will be lying by the pile. They just pull stuff out whenever, as Santa gifts aren't wrapped. We usually open our gifts to each other before getting breakfast and showered. Then, when other family members arrive, we eat lunch and exchange gifts with them.

I think I might insist that after Santa gifts everyone showers and eats before more gifts are opened. I think it would flow better and also be nice to eat together.

We haven't really come up with a good routine to replace it. Stockings are more of an afterthought, an anticlimax after the bigger and better presents have been opened. It kind of makes me wonder why we do them.

Our tradition is the same as your family-growing-up. :)

The kids open their stockings and their present from Santa when they wake. Then they play until we eat breakfast. I get my dd from her dad's house, and we open presents together some time before noon.

Santa fills the stockings, brings each child one present, and puts a book basket filled with books, a movie and a game or two on the hearth, so there is plenty to do before we do our family gifts. :)

My younger kids still have a hard time waiting for the "big" presents, but the 11 y.o. and and his sisters have all said that they love the stockings because there are always some tried-and-true stocking stuffers (a chocolate bar, an orange) and some surprises (this year I found tiny sketch pads and tiny pencils, for example).

I like waiting. It stretches out the celebration over the day.

Cat

We feed the kids a "quick" breakfast (frozen waffles) upstairs in their bedrooms while we await for grandparents to arrive in the morning. The kids are allowed down at 7:30am and will open their stockings and Santa gift first (items in stockings and Santa gifts are not wrapped). Then we pause for the kids to "mess" with some of their new stuff while the adults start a breakfast casserole. Then we open presents until the casserole is ready (around 9am). After breakfast, we proceed with opening the rest of the presents. We usually finish around noon.

We usually distribute the stockings and take pictures. Mom and Dad drink coffee and try to wake up - rising too early mixed with too much spirit Christmas eve. LOL I put the breakfast casserole in the oven & we go open presents. We take turns and ooh and ah over gifts. Then we clean up and have breakfast.

When I was growing up, my family's tradition was that when we all came downstairs on Christmas morning, we could open our stockings right away. Then we had to eat breakfast before opening any of the wrapped presents.

This is what we do and what my family did growing up. Stockings and Santa presents (unwrapped) are free game anytime after 6 am. Wrapped gifts are from other family members and we open one at a time after breakfast. I think it helps to focus a bit on giving to go slower on the wrapped gifts.

I leave juice, milk and breakfast bread where kids can get it first thing (to go with the chocolate :D), because we do breakfast casserole and it takes a while to cook.

That's how we do it. My husband thinks I'm a little nuts on this, but I grew up slowly opening and discussing presents one at a time. He calls it my Little Women childhood. :001_smile: Anyway, so far my kids have gone for this approach. We do an enhanced stocking though that has a bag beneath it for other small things that don't fit into the stocking but I don't want to wrap.

We do stockings first and its a free for all, though they do have to wait until we are all up!

Then we do gifts. I may at least go fill my coffee before gifts, but no breakfast until all is done. They always get treats and fruit in their stockings too. They can snack.

This is how we do it too, except that since Christmas is a Sunday, we are going to church before opening presents. But I don't plan to make that standard. :)

We do stockings first and take our time. It's more fun that way instead of everyone just diving in.

Then we take turns unwrapping presents until we are done. Makes it last longer and is much more fun than a free-for-all. We don't require breakfast first though.

we pick the order which people will open presents. We let one person go first, and usually the kids have it all picked out. Surprisingly, this has worked out REALLY well. They are insisting I go first this year.:D

The person opening gifts will open all theirs and the stocking does come last. It's not anti-climatic, but the kids pretty much get the same things every year so they know what to expect. I sometimes throw in a surprise or two.

Stockings first here, though we usually wait until everyone's up. Then we deliver sticky buns to friends before we come back to the gift opening and breakfast. Breakfast is an informal affair and we eat sticky buns while we open gifts. Gift opening is more formal--one person and one gift at a time.

Santa doesn't wrap here so stockings and Santa gifts kind of go hand in hand. The kids are supposed to wait until we get up, but I cannot say they haven't gotten a peek or two before. They have to wait until I have my contacts in, hair brushed, and camera ready before they can come out. Then we normally have breakfast and get dressed before opening the rest of the gifts. This year I am doing a casserole for the kids' breakfast, so we might open presents before breakfast.

Kids have to make sure everyone is up before they dive into their stockings fully. I'm sure this will change as the kids get older and I can feel comfy with them just going through their own and not everyone else's too....hehe!

We don't require breakfast but we do require COFFEE to be in our hands and to have a seat selected. Then we sort the gifts and begin opening one at a time.

I have a potato and egg pie that bakes for our breakfast while we open gifts.

Edited by mamaofblessings

That's how we do it. My husband thinks I'm a little nuts on this, but I grew up slowly opening and discussing presents one at a time. He calls it my Little Women childhood. :001_smile: Anyway, so far my kids have gone for this approach. We do an enhanced stocking though that has a bag beneath it for other small things that don't fit into the stocking but I don't want to wrap.

We always took turns opening gifts one at a time when I was a kid and still do it this way at our house and when we spend Christmas with my parents. DH's family dives in and opens presents all at once in rapid succession as if there's a prize for getting it done in record time. I know it's their tradition, but I hate it! Once my MIL opened one of my gifts by mistake, and we didn't even notice until after the presents were opened because of the chaos.

We've always done stockings as fair game as soon as you're up.

Presents don't get opened until everybody is awake and ready. We generally eat breakfast too. Now that the kids are older and the things they are interested in are a lot more expensive, there are a lot fewer presents, so I tend to work really hard at deceptive wrapping. Each of the kids has 4 gifts under the tree from us and then they each got their sisters a gift too, so they each have 6 gifts total to open.

I am alittle crazy but, I need to shower first. I only take like 5min to get showered brush my teeth and get dressed. The kids take this time to use the bathroom and wake up daddy from his bed. Then we do stockings first. Then presents one at a time. The stockings have candy bars. Which hold us over untill brunch.

My kids get up too early for my taste. The stocking buys me 30 extra minutes of sleep. :D We don't eat breakfast before opening the wrapped presents though. I did that *one* year. Did not go over well. :tongue_smilie:

When I was growing up, my family's tradition was that when we all came downstairs on Christmas morning, we could open our stockings right away. Then we had to eat breakfast before opening any of the wrapped presents. Isn't that a sadistic tradition?

This is pretty much what we do. My kids have always been happy with their stockings, so it works.

My kids are up (who knows how early) stalking their stockings, but not allowed to touch or open until hubby and I get up, which is often later than normal since I'm usually up late Christmas Eve putting the finishing touches on the next morning. First, all the kids gather around the tree and their stockings (which get removed from the mantle the night before and laid on the ground stuffed full of goodies) for a picture. Then, before stockings, I present each child with his own ornament and t-shirt. Each one has something to do with an experience, accomplishment, or something fun about that child from the previous year. Each boy is getting quite the stash of ornaments as the years go by. Then, they all open their stockings at the same time. After the contents are dumped out and picked through, they each clear all their stocking stuffers and put them in their rooms, then we start passing out presents. But stockings are always before gifts. That's how my parents did it for us when we were growing up, too. And we weren't allowed to open our stockings until the folks were up, either.

The kids can open their stockings as soon as they get up. They are supposed to let us sleep in. We do pretty awesome stockings though, so it keeps them busy for awhile. After we get up, we open gifts (we celebrate Hanukkah too, so our family Christmas is pretty small) and then we have a big breakfast/brunch.