Menu

Cinnamon rolls made from refrigerator pie crust ???

I have a box of Pillsbury pie crust (the refrigerated kind) that I didn't use, so I am trying to find a way to use the pie crusts.

I was thinking that it should be easy to make cinnamon rolls out of dough. I thought I could roll the dough a little thinner - maybe in a rectangle shape to make it easier. Then brush melted butter over the dough and add cinnamon and sugar then roll up and make slices for the rolls.

My questions are 1) will this work and 2) would I need to let the rolls rise and 3) anything else I need to consider?

Thanks!

No, it won't work for cinnamon rolls. Pie crust isn't made to rise as it has no yeast. However, my mom used to do what you are talking about with left over pie crust trimmed off her pies and I still do it too. It is basically just a cinnamon pie crust taste. They are tasty but really not too much like cinnamon rolls.

No, it won't work for cinnamon rolls. Pie crust isn't made to rise as it has no yeast. However, my mom used to do what you are talking about with left over pie crust trimmed off her pies and I still do it too. It is basically just a cinnamon pie crust taste. They are tasty but really not too much like cinnamon rolls.

Any ideas on what I can do with the pie crusts for breakfast (probably something on the sweet side since I was craving cinnamon rolls)?

Any ideas on what I can do with the pie crusts for breakfast (probably something on the sweet side since I was craving cinnamon rolls)?

You could make homemade "Pop Tarts". I cut out circles, place whatever filling I want, then fold over and close. Use a fork to pinch them shut like an empanada and brush with egg whites. You could even make a powdered sugar frosting to drizzle on them when they come out of the oven.

You could make homemade "Pop Tarts". I cut out circles, place whatever filling I want, then fold over and close. Use a fork to pinch them shut like an empanada and brush with egg whites. You could even make a powdered sugar frosting to drizzle on them when they come out of the oven.

Mmmmmm...

This would work well if you cook some apples up in a pan with brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, then fill the circles with the filling.