Menu

cat update...pancreatitis

test results back...not a "foreign body" after all. She has pancreatitis. Dr. gave some meds and said that getting her to eat is critical. The next few days will be very telling if she is going to make it or not. Vet also warned about "fatty liver" which occurs when a cat hasn't eaten in 48 hrs. I had no idea that a liver shutdown could occur so soon after regular eating has stopped.

Please pray she will begin to eat and drink more. She has had a little food and kept it down so far....not enough food to stop her body from going into a dangerous "starvation mode" I fear.

Thanks for listening to my worries.

Our family dog had a severe case of pancreatitis, doc said she had a 3% (yes he said THREE!) chance of living unless we left her with them to receive IV fluids/meds...she was our baby and stressed immensely if she was not with us, so I knew I had to take her home...he was convinced she would die.

We fed her rice with chicken broth only...it took a full week to see marked improvement but she did great and lived 7 more years!!! Take good care of her!

Take a bit of tuna on the end of your finger and rub on her gums and lips. Sometimes getting a taste of something yummy will encourage a cat to eat.

Hope your kitty gets better fast!

please be extremely careful doing this as food items right now could set her into another pancreatic attack!

Nutrical is extremely helpful in times like this! If she has stopped vomiting then boiled chicken can be helpful and there are some prepared foods that are gentle on the stomach that your vet can help you with as well!

FYI, if you can't get her to eat substantially soon, then the vet can force feed her. (Presumably you'd be looking at an ER vet at this point given the holidays.) Once hepatic lipidosis starts, the vet often needs to force feed for a couple days (along with other support, typically IV fluids, etc) and then, once they have the nourishment, they are cured and begin eating again and all is well. This is a fairly common problem, and is why it is vital to get the pet to the vet ASAP if they stop eating for more than a day, as once whatever (usually treatable) illness or other trauma stops the cat from eating for a few days, hepatic lipidosis can kick in, and their appetite disappears completely, and it is a downward death spiral if not reversed with nourishment.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1455

I am scared. My vet, though nice, isn't being very helpful. She sent me home with some Rebound Liquid Diet, but no recommendations for food/eating. I spent several hours last night petting my sick Missy Moo and reading online about recovery diet. It seems like a terrible catch 22. I have to get her to eat, but if she eats food that isn't the right balance (too much fat etc.) it will irritate the pancreas and the vomiting will begin again. She won't touch the Rebound stuff from the vet. I force feed a couple of droppers full, and she was getting stressed so I stopped. She ate a few bites of canned food, but I know it is no where near enough. Thank-you ladies for your advice!!! I think I'll try the chicken broth and baby food next.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I am scared. My vet, though nice, isn't being very helpful. She sent me home with some Rebound Liquid Diet, but no recommendations for food/eating. I spent several hours last night petting my sick Missy Moo and reading online about recovery diet. It seems like a terrible catch 22. I have to get her to eat, but if she eats food that isn't the right balance (too much fat etc.) it will irritate the pancreas and the vomiting will begin again. She won't touch the Rebound stuff from the vet. I force feed a couple of droppers full, and she was getting stressed so I stopped. She ate a few bites of canned food, but I know it is no where near enough. Thank-you ladies for your advice!!! I think I'll try the chicken broth and baby food next.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Is there another vet you can call for advice? Do you have any cat-owning friends who love and recommend their vet? Or is there an emergency vet clinic?

One thing my cat loved was little shreds of chicken. You could try offering bits of chicken breast (less fat) dipped in warm chicken broth. Some cats really love the baby food chicken too.

I realize this is different but my son was not to eat anything by mouth during the attacks.

He was on IVs though, But he didn't even get water to drink.

it is a catch 22. stuff going into the mouth, makes the digestive system work.

I guess I want to say let your cat be the guide on what she will take in.