Menu

Logic/Critical Thinking Workbooks

Wildwood

We have always used the Building Thinking Skills series and they have always been a great asset to their education. I once taught in a Christian school using Abeka Math. It was plenty rigorous so I thought that the kids would be prepared for the yearly testing. But when they saw activities like "What would this paper look like if it were unfolded?" and other spatial thinking and critical thinking type activities they were lost and got very upset. I knew then that my kids would be doing those kinds of activities. My 9 year old is using BTS 1 and my 7 year old is using BTS Hands On. My 4 year old is using BTS Beginning. Sometimes the activities are way too easy and sometimes they are quite challenging for them and they need a little help. I grew up in the gifted and talented program in my school and we always did these kinds of activities. So even though they are not necessarily considered classical I think they are very useful and practical for both testing and preparing them for logic in the future.

stm4him

More ideas for you:

workbooks / puzzle books:

- Critical Thinking Activities in Pattern, Image, Logic (gr. 1-3) -- by Seymour

- Puzzlemania series (gr. 1-5) -- best of Highlights magazine variety of puzzles

- Gifted and Talented series (K-4 gr.) -- by Amerikander, or others

- Lollipop Logic

- Primarily Logic

- Connections series (by grade level)

- Hidden Picture Puzzle books -- collection of hidden picture puzzles from Highlights

downloadable/printable puzzles:

- mazes

- connect the dot, or dot-to-dot puzzles

- very simple crossword puzzles

- very simple sudoku or ken-ken puzzles

- word search puzzles

software:

- Logic Journey of the Zoombinis (by grade level)

- Revenge of the Logic Spiders (by grade level)

games:

- Set

- Duo

- Secret Door

- Blokus

- Scan (old Parker Brothers game, usually available on ebay)

- Clue

- Mastermind

solo logic activities:

- Logix

- Scramble Squares

- Tangrams

- Rush Hour Junior

• 5 weeks later...

Wow! My DH and I were just talking about logic last night. We decided to use Critical Thinking Company- though we will have to compare them to other resources once we go to buy & see how our wallets like it! :D

In the early elementary years, how much time do you devote to critical thinking? I was thinking like maybe an activity or two a week? Or less? More? What has worked for you..

In the early elementary years, how much time do you devote to critical thinking? I was thinking like maybe an activity or two a week? Or less? More? What has worked for you..

We did about 5-10 minutes per morning (2 pages), 4 days a week. It was part of our "together time", and we thought of it as a fun "brain warm-up" activity, rather than a formal subject.

In addition, in the elementary grades, twice a week, DSs also were allowed 30 minute computer turns with educational software (some were specifically critical thinking, although some focused on other subject areas). And about once a week we played games just for fun outside of school. Many of the games were logic-based or required critical thinking in various areas. At other times, DC enjoyed just doing puzzles, crosswords, etc. on their own time for their own amusement.

So, a VERY rough estimate would be about 2 hours a week -- but spread out, not all school-based, and a lot was informal. Hope that was of some help! Warmest regards, Lori D.

We did about 5-10 minutes per morning (2 pages), 4 days a week. It was part of our "together time", and we thought of it as a fun "brain warm-up" activity, rather than a formal subject.

Thanks so much! I haven't looked at the books (outside of the online samples) and my children are much too young. But that definitely seems like a fun warm up!

We use Critical Thinking Skills and Lollipop Logic here and love both of them. My oldest daughter is still fairly young, so we work through them together. Check out Think Tonight. They have a huge variety of resources, broken down according to skill type. They are really knowledgeable and have excellent customer service. I'm constantly comparing prices and they consistently have some of the lowest and they also offer free shipping on orders over $25.

• 2 months later...