Menu

Paging Dr. Hive: my 7yr old stepped on something

that went right through his croc and into his foot. I don't know what it was. We got the bleeding to stop (this happened earlier today), put a bandaid & neosporin on it and he was okay.

Tonight, though, we've noticed that his foot is purplish and swollen on the topside. There's almost a flattened lump there. Sigh...

Unless things get worse during the night, I won't be calling the dr. But if it looks the same in the morning, should I? He can put weight on it and can wiggle his toes. (The puncture is towards the end of his foot, near his toes.)

He has had tetanus shot - way back at ~2 yrs old, I think.

(This is the same kid who smashed his finger in the door and cost us a trip to the dr earlier this week!)

If his tetanus shot is more than 5 years old, I'd definitely consider a fresh one tonight. Otherwise, I favor the cautious approach of seeing the doctor when in doubt. Good benefits and healthy but klutzy children may make this an easier position for me to take, however.

I have two I absolutely must get in for boosters very shortly after the new year (and would have to take to emergency for boosters if they got a serious cut or puncture wound before that is done...). I am ashamed to admit that it took a recent episode of House to get me to dig out their shot records and discover this fact.

Is it like a bruise purple or an infection purple? I am always one to err on the side of caution. Is there any chance that whatever it was is still in his foot?

Obviously over the internet it is hard to know what to say but I would likely be calling the doctor and going from there.

If you notice ANY red/purple streaks AT ALL I would head right to ER.

I have 4 sons, youngest now 13 and didn't run into the doc for every little thing, but I would for this. His tetanus shot is pretty old and they are likely going to recommend a booster. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tetanus/DS00227/DSECTION=prevention (Maybe you got the recommended shot at 4-6 years and don't remember it. If you did, they probably won't re-boost ) Whenever my kids got a dirty cut (and through the shoe is considered dirty plus you don't know what actually went into his foot. The "rusty nail" thing is not the issue--it's whether it would have dirt on it that might contain the microbe that causes tetanus). I would be concerned about the bump on the top of the foot from a wound to the underside as well. You don't need to rush in for a tetanus shot--I think you have like 72 hours, but since that would put you still in the holidays, I'd just go in tomorrow--or at least call and see what your doc says.)

I'm glad you are going. Deep puncture wounds need to be seen and anything over 5 years needs a tetanus booster.

:grouphug: to you and your little guy. The more he moves the arm in the morning (assuming he gets the booster) the less it will hurt. Tylenol does help that pain.

Thanks, everyone!! You guys are so helpful!

They bandaged him up & gave us a script for ciprofloxacin. It was a long ordeal getting it filled last night (involving a trip back to the er), and when I attempted to give it to him, he gagged and I ended up wearing most of it. :(

It's a pill that I have to crush & give to him. Any tips? Yogurt didn't work.

Oh, and they asked if he was up to date on all his immunizations, but did not give him a tetanus. I didn't even think to ask about it when we were there. :confused: Sigh...

I would see if he can just swallow the pill instead of crushing it as they can taste really nasty crushed. My girls could swallow pills well before 7 so he might surprise you. That would make it easier---a chaser of pop might make things easier as well :-) (if you allow that at all).

The tetanus is in the DTaP vaccine, according to a quick google, there is a booster due at 4-6 years old. I think it's a series of 5. When my dd stepped on a metal dog comb and it stuck:001_huh:, they were going to give a tetanus, but I remembered "for sure" that she had gotten the DTaP at 6 and was completely caught up on all vaccinations until 11.

So, I would find a shot record/call the pediatrician today. While you're at it, ask about a different medication. My dd (8) can swallow little pills--not big. The ER may not be as child friendly about prescriptions.

Edited by snickelfritz