Menu

S/O Favorite cookbook to give to 20yods who likes to experiment

We have a cookbook called "The Bachelor's Guide to Ward Off Starvation"

It's probably over 20 years old and I'm not sure where you can get it these days, but it's a great little cookbook. It's filled with all kinds of cute little jokes, too, like a list of "must steal items" from your mom, sister, or favourite aunt.

ETA: I just googled it and it's available at Amazon

Edited by momtokea

Since he likes to experiment, what about an ethnic cookbook?

Are there any foods or cultures he is particularly interested in, that would help guide suggestions?

I often see easy but interesting (non-gender specific!) cookbooks at the used book store. You could flip through some to get ideas, then buy new at a B&N if it's a gift and that matters.

I would say something from America's Test Kitchen where they explain how they made the choices they made and have detailed pictures, instructions, etc. I love the New Best Recipes and Cooks Illustrated magazine. Actually, I'd recommend the Cooks Illustrated, each magazine is chock full of recipes, tips, reviews, etc. No advertisements. They're gorgeously produced on quality paper and keepsake quality. You could pick one up at a local newsstand (or Whole Foods) to have something to wrap.

A couple of other masculine ideas: I was considering Tyler Florence's new cookbook for my brother for Christmas (we drew names instead). He loves to cook and is good at it. The new Voltaggio brothers book, Volt Ink, looks fascinating (I flipped through it at Williams Sonoma), but I'd never cook anything from it (too fancy and difficult!), but great for inspiration.

Some friends have spoken highly of this cookbook:

Look, Dude, I Can Cook!; Four Years of College Cooking Made Easy by Amy Madden

The book description from Amazon:

"When Amy Madden's son, Mark, went off to college, he would frequently call her for recipes of the home-cooked meals he was missing while learning to live on his own. Amy's daughter Megan who was already a junior and knew her way around the kitchen also called often for cooking advice. Finally, Amy decided to write down her recipes for Mark and Megan, which gave her the idea to create a resource for helping every college student make fun and nutritious meals to get them through their first years away from home. Look, Dude, I Can Cook! is divided into four sections: Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior. In progressive fashion, students can start with simple recipes and work their way toward fuss-free gourmet pleasers for everyday cooking and fun occasions alike. Look, Dude, I Can Cook! will provide students with the know-how and confidence to cook healthy and delicious meals, along with shortcuts and money-saving tips. Also included are lists of essential cooking utensils and pantry items, as well as a glossary of cooking terms."

Regards,

Kareni

in the kitchen? I'm already wrapping up some spices for him. He is still living with us. He is good at rice and eggs. LOL--not a chef, but likes to cook. Something easy? Something...manly?

These don't 'seem' manly, but hear me out:

"Rachel Ray 30 minute Comfort Foods" She's not manly, but her recipes are hearty and easy and leave you feeling like you can make anything if you don't overcomplicate it.

"Fast Food Fix" originally designed to take care of fast food cravings and reduce the fat. Turns out it's not humanly possible to put as much salt and fat into anything you cook at home. I make the recipes from the book, but if it calls for low fat cheese, I just use regular. The point is this book gives you recipes for a Big Mac that taste eerily like the real thing . . . Taco Bell Mexican Pizza, Chick-fil-a chicken strips, all the big fast food places. It's just cool, and most recipes are quick and easy and made in less time than it takes to go for the real thing. The cinnabons are by far the most involved and time consuming recipe. It's just cool, and can be comforting for someone who moved away from a coveted fast food place that's not available in their new town. My son loves this book.

How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman for fool proof recipes and America's Test Kitchen for someone who likes to experiment. ATK has been amazing in taking my cooking and baking to the next level. After a few years of reading Cook's Illustrated and every ATK cookbook available, I've found I can easily tell if a recipe will fail and what modifications I need to make a recipe suceed.

How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman for fool proof recipes and America's Test Kitchen for someone who likes to experiment. ATK has been amazing in taking my cooking and baking to the next level. After a few years of reading Cook's Illustrated and every ATK cookbook available, I've found I can easily tell if a recipe will fail and what modifications I need to make a recipe suceed.

:lol::lol::lol: I should have read the whole thread and just quoted you.