Menu

Just to clarify

I appreciate any genuine "Merry Christmas" greeting and return it in same.

I think I have heard a couple of dozen "Merry Christmas, Audrey"s today, and have returned just as many "Merry Christmas"es back.

I am happy when people are happy. I don't care what holiday you celebrate or don't.

:001_smile:

I knew you were a kind person, Audrey. Merry Christmas to you!

And I am similar to you- anyone can wish me a Happy Hannukah, whatever you say on Diwala, or any other greeting that is meant in a good way. I am happy to share anyone's joy for anything as long as it isn't for something bad like joy that someone is dead.

I was kinda thinking about this today (not about any individual, just the way greetings have evolved). Were any real people actually upset about hearing "Merry Christmas" or did the more generic greetings show up pre-emptively, out of fear that someone theoretically might get upset?

My cousin is flying into town today for the next week or so, to visit family. She posted this on her facebook, and for some reason it surprised me to see all "happy holidays" wishes in the comments. It made me wonder if the people commenting know she's atheist and try to not offend, or if they are non-Christmas people but trying to be polite and wish her well even though she celebrates differently than they do, or if they are caught up in the general atmosphere of giving everyone a generic greeting because you don't know what they celebrate and if it agrees with yours or not, even if it has the same name. Wow, that was a long sentence.

And how did it come to be "happy holidays" - why don't we say "happy winter" to accommodate those who don't celebrate any holiday this time of year?

I've gotten a lot of "Happy Yule's" from church. If someone is kind enough to wish me merriness or happiness, I am very grateful and return in kind.

Audrey ~ May you enjoy this beautiful winter season when the Earth sleeps to rest and repair. May you be refreshed as well during this time.

Happy Yule!

Why did it become bad to say happy holidays. I use that interchangeably with Merry Christmas. I'm Christian and celebrate Christmas. I'm not trying to be pc. It's just what I do. It doesn't matter to me what others say. It's nice to have a warm greeting, but now there are all these people who want to say Happy Holidays is wrong.

I think the op was referring generally to the warm greeting idea, but it bothers me that some people insist that some greetings are somehow wrong.

Why did it become bad to say happy holidays. I use that interchangeably with Merry Christmas. I'm Christian and celebrate Christmas. I'm not trying to be pc. It's just what I do. It doesn't matter to me what others say. It's nice to have a warm greeting, but now there are all these people who want to say Happy Holidays is wrong.

I think the op was referring generally to the warm greeting idea, but it bothers me that some people insist that some greetings are somehow wrong.

Yes, I was referring to that. I also gladly accept and return Happy Holidays, Happy Yule, Merry Solstice, Happy Hannukah, or any other greeting of the season.

I think there is no such thing as a bad greeting if the person saying it means it with genuine kindness.

I was kinda thinking about this today (not about any individual, just the way greetings have evolved). Were any real people actually upset about hearing "Merry Christmas" or did the more generic greetings show up pre-emptively, out of fear that someone theoretically might get upset?

My cousin is flying into town today for the next week or so, to visit family. She posted this on her facebook, and for some reason it surprised me to see all "happy holidays" wishes in the comments. It made me wonder if the people commenting know she's atheist and try to not offend, or if they are non-Christmas people but trying to be polite and wish her well even though she celebrates differently than they do, or if they are caught up in the general atmosphere of giving everyone a generic greeting because you don't know what they celebrate and if it agrees with yours or not, even if it has the same name. Wow, that was a long sentence.

And how did it come to be "happy holidays" - why don't we say "happy winter" to accommodate those who don't celebrate any holiday this time of year?

I don't know about others, some of the "happy holidays"-sayers are probably being pre-emptive, but personally I like to say "Happy Holidays" because I am celebrating more than one holiday during these few weeks (Christmas, New Years, family birthdays, solstice) and I am happy about that, the more the merrier! :)

But yes, if someone says "Merry Christmas!" I return it in the spirit it was intended. :001_smile:

I've gotten a lot of "Happy Yule's" from church. If someone is kind enough to wish me merriness or happiness, I am very grateful and return in kind.

Audrey ~ May you enjoy this beautiful winter season when the Earth sleeps to rest and repair. May you be refreshed as well during this time.

Happy Yule!

Happy Yule to you, too, Cindie! :001_smile:

Yes, I was referring to that. I also gladly accept and return Happy Holidays, Happy Yule, Merry Solstice, Happy Hannukah, or any other greeting of the season.

I think there is no such thing as a bad greeting if the person saying it means it with genuine kindness.

:iagree: totally from another non-Christian.

I don't know if you mean here or in general, but yes I have had people get quite angry and snippy on hearing "Merry Christmas."

And Audrey, thank you.

I think I have heard a couple of dozen "Merry Christmas, Audrey"s today, and have returned just as many "Merry Christmas"es back.

I am happy when people are happy. I don't care what holiday you celebrate or don't.

:iagree:

I don't know if you mean here or in general, but yes I have had people get quite angry and snippy on hearing "Merry Christmas."

I meant in general. I don't mind whatever greetings, just saw a bunch the same in a row and it made me wonder about the source. It wouldn't have occurred to me that people would actually get angry, but I learn a lot here!

:iagree::D