Menu

Supplemental Reading Programs for older kids

My 10yr old is in a Montessori school and one nice thing is they don't have much homework. However, he's a struggling reader. We've spent the 2 previous years with reading tutors and this year he has a tutor who comes to school...but she is mainly focusing on his memory and comprehension. This is the area that is the weakest... but it definitely affects his reading. (i.e. he'll read a word at the top of the page but cannot remember that he just read it a few sentences later).

We read with him about 20 min a day after school, but I'd like to work on some other things too. I've noticed that some of his previously learned skills are slipping. He's constantly forgetting to use the long vowel on a vcv (like "home") in words. He used to have that down pat.

Most of the phonics programs I used or looked at when homeschooling were for younger kids. I've got an old Victory Drill book that I might use, but wondered if there was something else for older kids who struggle to read.

First off, I LOVE Montessori, and I use to teach ps K-4. What you are describing to me, at ten years of age is perking my ears up in an on-alert way. Have you considered asking your school district to evaluate your ten year old for a possible learning disability? Even if you are going to private school, the school district by law still has to help.

I'm sorry if I've freaked you out. I'm not trying to be overzealous. There might be ten posters after me who say that I'm wrong and that their ten year olds did that and it turned out just fine. But if it were my child, I would send a written request to the school district requesting evaluation. The memory/processing issue is what would concern me.

P.S. I also have some free/cheap Sylvan Learning Center Alternatives on my blog, but I'm not sure if that would help you in this case.

Edited by jenbrdsly

My 10yr old is in a Montessori school and one nice thing is they don't have much homework. However, he's a struggling reader. We've spent the 2 previous years with reading tutors and this year he has a tutor who comes to school...but she is mainly focusing on his memory and comprehension. This is the area that is the weakest... but it definitely affects his reading. (i.e. he'll read a word at the top of the page but cannot remember that he just read it a few sentences later).

Memory is enhanced by the production of a chemical in the brain called BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor). Some kids naturally make a lot while others don't. One way to increase it is by exercising. For boys, bursts of anaerobic exercise throughout the day would be ideal, but any movement is better than none.

Interestingly, schools of various demographics have set up running programs before school (monitoring heart rate, not speed) to help with reading comprehension and memory, and they've been helping. You can read more about this in John Ratey's book Spark.

http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Revolutionary-Science-Exercise-Brain/dp/0316113506

Good luck. Hope you find something that helps.

Hi Jen,

You're not freaking me out..it's okay. We've had him tested - although not the full psycho-educational testing. That's how we know part of his issues are with memory - although it had some other fancy name I can't remember :001_huh: Anyway, I've had two other kids go this route. One we did end up putting in a school specifically for kids with LD...it helped tremendously. But, she was older and her problems were more severe. The other dd did just fine with a year of tutoring - it was AMAZING! She was still being homeschooled then, but is now in private school too.

If he continues to really struggle without much advancement over the next 2 years we'll probably look more closely at the LD school we put his older sister into. The thing is they were EXPENSIVE!! As much as college.

Memory is enhanced by the production of a chemical in the brain called BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor). Some kids naturally make a lot while others don't. One way to increase it is by exercising. For boys, bursts of anaerobic exercise throughout the day would be ideal, but any movement is better than none.

Interestingly, schools of various demographics have set up running programs before school (monitoring heart rate, not speed) to help with reading comprehension and memory, and they've been helping. You can read more about this in John Ratey's book Spark.

http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Revolutionary-Science-Exercise-Brain/dp/0316113506

Good luck. Hope you find something that helps.

Wow, this is very helpful. He goes between being a couch potato and energentic. I may try to come up with something for him to do before school. Thanks!!

Wow, this is very helpful. He goes between being a couch potato and energentic. I may try to come up with something for him to do before school. Thanks!!

:)

Along that line I remember hearing Mel Levine from All Kinds of Mind suggest chewing mint gum while you were engaged in an activity that was difficult. That wouldn't work very well at school, but maybe for reading time at home?

Another idea would be to have a "fidget toy" that your son could hold in his hand and play with while doing reading work in class. The Beyond Play catalogue has some, but really a Koosh ball would work too.

Hmm... I'm now recalling that my old school paid for me to go to a three day All Kinds of Mind workshop. Those are apparently the only take-always I remember. They and if your child has ADHD you should have the pediatrician try prescribing sleep medicine BEFORE you tried ADHD medicine, because sleep deprivation can often mimic ADHD symptoms.

I wonder if your local library has any of Mel Levine's books "The Myth of Laziness" for example, or "A Mind at a Time". That might have more ideas.

Were you aware the Wilson Reading has a new program specifically for older students called Just Words? A quick google search should bring it up. It's very costly but you may be able to find someone trained in it or purchase the minimum for enrichment.

Check out this link too, they have a list of the more reputable programs on the sidebar.

http://http://www.edweek.org/tsb/articles/2011/10/13/01moore.h05.html

Aly in Va.