Menu

famous homeschoolers

DH and I were talking in the car today about famous people who homeschool. He couldn't think of any :tongue_smilie:, and the first to come to mind was Tim Tebow (QB for the Denver Broncos) and Glen Beck (conservative talk show host).

Without googling, who comes to mind first? Add in who they are just in case someone is not familiar with them.

I was flipping through a People magazine this week, the one with the $exiest actor (don't know who he is) on the cover. One of the blurbs about ... shoot, can't remember her name either, but she was the little girl in that vampire movie with Tom Cruise a million years ago. Spiderman, too, I think? Blonde young lady.

Anyhow, one of the things she mentioned in her blurb was advice to others; hers was along the lines of going to regular school and "not do homeschool" -- so I took that to mean she was homeschooled during her heydey. And not happily, apparently.

The Wyeth family (artists) Andrew Wyeth (painter of Christina's World, for instance) was homeschooled by his parents including father NC Wyeth, who illustrated many classic children's books. In turn, he and other family members homeschooled his son, Jamie Wyeth after elementary school.

I think it's difficult to know which modern day stars are homeschooling in the way we here think of homeschooling.

I was watching old episodes of 16 and Pregnant (don't make fun of me!) and one of the girls was "going to homeschool"... as in, getting up, getting in the car, and going to be taught by someone not her parent.

Another girl met with her "homeschool teacher" periodically, which I assume is what we really call homeBOUND instruction.

Many Disney/Nick stars are said to homeschool. I think some do, but others just mean "I don't GO to school."

I think it's difficult to know which modern day stars are homeschooling in the way we here think of homeschooling.

I was watching old episodes of 16 and Pregnant (don't make fun of me!) and one of the girls was "going to homeschool"... as in, getting up, getting in the car, and going to be taught by someone not her parent.

Another girl met with her "homeschool teacher" periodically, which I assume is what we really call homeBOUND instruction.

Many Disney/Nick stars are said to homeschool. I think some do, but others just mean "I don't GO to school."

How do you think of defining homeschooling???

Here in Australia the definition is that the child is Homeschooled when they are not attending a school public or private, and are being educated at home. This can include through correspondence, with a tutor, or by a parent. And often a homeschooled child might be doing a mixture of parent instruction, a tutor for some subjects and maybe a few courses through correspondence.

How do you think of defining homeschooling???

Here in Australia the definition is that the child is Homeschooled when they are not attending a school public or private, and are being educated at home. This can include through correspondence, with a tutor, or by a parent. And often a homeschooled child might be doing a mixture of parent instruction, a tutor for some subjects and maybe a few courses through correspondence.

I think of "homeschooling" as parent-directed. Parent picks the resources (books, whole program, selected outsourced courses), and is responsible for following any applicable regulations as well as, ultimately, the outcome.

I'm not judging choices. I just think the.... "essence" of "homeschooling" doesn't really apply when public school teachers come to deliver public school work, yk?

I was watching a documentary about Henry VIII the other day in which they think they have proof that he was homeschooled, probably along with his sister, for several years before he was given a tutor who directed his education. The proof--his handwriting. He had an atypical way of forming particular letters-went against the style that would have been normally taught. However-his style was nearly an exact match for his mother's handwriting. There is a bit of confusion at this point as some historians seem to think that Elizabeth may have taught her son and others think his maternal grandmother may have been responsible. Either could lead to the handwriting situation above.

I was flipping through a People magazine this week, the one with the $exiest actor (don't know who he is) on the cover. One of the blurbs about ... shoot, can't remember her name either, but she was the little girl in that vampire movie with Tom Cruise a million years ago. Spiderman, too, I think? Blonde young lady.

Anyhow, one of the things she mentioned in her blurb was advice to others; hers was along the lines of going to regular school and "not do homeschool" -- so I took that to mean she was homeschooled during her heydey. And not happily, apparently.

Kirsten Dunst. It was in response to a question about advice she would give aspiring actresses, I believe. I was mildly annoyed as well, as I hate when little jabs are taken towards us in the media...especially by one who was homeschooled. Doesn't exactly help my case against naysayers as some people in this country take a celebrity's opinion as gospel. But that's another thread...

Many working child actors and athletes are 'homeschooled' in that they are taught by a tutor on the set or use a correspondence course. And I am guessing that many of the very rich celebrities mentioned aren't correcting math, but hire private teachers that live/travel with them. More along the lines of an old fashioned governess. It is an issue of privacy and safety.

I personally don't consider that homeschooling. That is more like a very exclusive private school. :lol:

Many working child actors and athletes are 'homeschooled' in that they are taught by a tutor on the set or use a correspondence course. And I am guessing that many of the very rich celebrities mentioned aren't correcting math, but hire private teachers that live/travel with them. More along the lines of an old fashioned governess. It is an issue of privacy and safety.

I personally don't consider that homeschooling. That is more like a very exclusive private school. :lol:

I tell people my kids go to a very exclusive private school. Very.Exclusive.

Here is a list:

Famous Homeschool Parents

The other pages lists famous people that were/are homeschooled.

I took a brief look at the homeschooled people. Many date from a time when upper middle/upper class people were tutored at home by governesses/tutors before being sent off to boarding school. This was common even into the 20th Century: my mother had a governess in the 1930s - because her mother didn't like the idea of her going to the village school - before she was sent away to boarding school. I don't think this pattern is quite what we think of as home schooling. Jane Austen, CS Lewis, Shackleton, Winston Churchill, Malthus and John Locke fall into this group.

Walt Whitman, Charlie Chaplin, David Livingstone and Charles Dickens would be better described as autodidacts, having been forced out of school and into employment at an early age.

George Bernard Shaw, according to this account, seems to have attended school. Robert Frost attended and graduated from high school (I can't find information about his earlier schooling).

And I don't think being tutored along with a group of other aristocrats by Aristotle (as was Alexander the Great) really counts as home schooling.

I think that home school activists do themselves a disservice by fudging the definitions so much. I could write a list of 'Famous People who Attended Boarding School' that would overlap the home school one to a large extent.

It's a shame, because there are good examples of genuine homeschoolers on the list, like John Stuart Mill.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

[i think Tom Cruise homeschools his kids

I don't think so - Last I read Suri goes to a Scientology school.

The Jolie-Pitt kids all have individual tutors - the adopted ones have tutors that speak their old language. I think they "homeschool" because they travel so much rather then any personal philosophy.

I'm pretty sure I saw an inteview with Will Smith and his kids where they said they weren't really homeschooling - rather his kids had other interests he was allowing them to take up and they "unschooled".