Menu

Why do people do this? Birthdays and FB.

I'm trying to understand why people post that it's their little kids' birthdays on their (parent's) FB page. I'm talking about people who have small kids, all the way down to one year old. The kids don't have FB, so I'm not sure what the point of this is. Is it so that the parents' FB friends will all respond, "Happy Bday to XYZ!" ?? What's the point? When it's someone I know well and they do this, I feel somewhat obligated to Like it, or post a response, even though I'm not sure why. I mean, most of these little ones can't even read, and some are babies, so it's not like mom can pass on well wishes, kwim?

I'm not being snarky about this, I'm really curious to know if any of you do this, and if so, what the purpose is. It's never occurred to me to do this for my dc, so I don't get the motivation.

Thanks, and feel free to let me know if I'm being uncharitable or plain clueless. :)

Many of my FB "friends" are far flung relatives. It's a way of communicating about family issues that would otherwise not be celebrated or communicated. I'm never offended if people don't "say" anything, but most like to know "how old the kids are now."

I'm not sure why you'd question it, unless your Facebook functions in a different role.

I'm trying to understand why people post that it's their little kids' birthdays on their (parent's) FB page. I'm talking about people who have small kids, all the way down to one year old. The kids don't have FB, so I'm not sure what the point of this is. Is it so that the parents' FB friends will all respond, "Happy Bday to XYZ!" ?? What's the point? When it's someone I know well and they do this, I feel somewhat obligated to Like it, or post a response, even though I'm not sure why. I mean, most of these little ones can't even read, and some are babies, so it's not like mom can pass on well wishes, kwim?

I'm not being snarky about this, I'm really curious to know if any of you do this, and if so, what the purpose is. It's never occurred to me to do this for my dc, so I don't get the motivation.

Thanks, and feel free to let me know if I'm being uncharitable or plain clueless. :)

Being a very intimate participant in the actual birth of said child and remembering that event on the anniversary of it's occurrence is worthy of a facebook post imo. :001_smile:

I have always wondered this too. Like when people say "Happy Birthday sweet Gracie POO!! You have made this year incredible. Happy first Birthday Sweetie!!"

I think it's their way of letting people know it's a special day in their house.

I think I am confused. I have no problem putting it out on FB that its my childs bday. I am more confused by why people say Happy birthday to their child on FB when their child is to young to be on FB and/or even read it. Off to read the Op again..

:confused: You answered your question well and then reasked it. It's just a fun way to phrase "it's gracie poo's 1st b-day today" no biggie.

I am more confused by why people say Happy birthday to their child on FB when their child is to young to be on FB and/or even read it.

Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone here... But, I have this same feeling about people who post messages TO deceased friends and relatives on FB. I am referring to posts along the lines of "Dear sweet Uncle Fred. I miss you so very much. I know you are in a better place." (and the person is no longer among the living) Seriously? Is there FB is Heaven? (or wherever they think Uncle Fred may be...)

:confused: You answered your question well and then reasked it. It's just a fun way to phrase "it's gracie poo's 1st b-day today" no biggie.

I didn't mean to do that. I think it is their way of letting everyone know. I just think it's a weird way to go about it. I just say something like Little Johnny is 5 today, can't believe how time flies! I still always scratch my head when people address it TO their child. :D

Well, I'm one of those who will write something along the lines of "One year ago today we were bringing A home from the hospital!" I'm not trying to get people to respond. I post about what is going on in my life- if someone wants to comment, great, if not- that's fine too. I WANT to know what is going on in the lives of my fb friends- that's why I friended them. I assume the same is true of them, but if it's not- I really hope they unfriend me.

Seriously, people spend too much time judging other people. If people's posts annoy you, it's your own fault. Use the unfriend button.

This is why I do it. My child's birthday is a big event in our family and it would seem really weird to ignore it. It honestly never occurred to me that it would offend some people.

Er, offended? Nope. Thought that was clear what with the smilie and all.

;)

It hadn't occurred to me that people would post their kids' bdays so that other family members who live at a distance would remember and say something about it. Makes sense.

I do because then some of the distant relatives or friends might call or email letters for the child. Also, my distant friends like to know how old my kids are or what our birthday day plans might be.

My oldest has been able to read for a couple of years now, so I show her the "happy birthday" messages people leave on my FB wall when I post that it's her birthday (although those closest to her post without my having to make it my status :D ).

Many of my FB "friends" are far flung relatives. It's a way of communicating about family issues that would otherwise not be celebrated or communicated. I'm never offended if people don't "say" anything, but most like to know "how old the kids are now."

I'm not sure why you'd question it, unless your Facebook functions in a different role.

:iagree::iagree: :D

Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone here... But, I have this same feeling about people who post messages TO deceased friends and relatives on FB. I am referring to posts along the lines of "Dear sweet Uncle Fred. I miss you so very much. I know you are in a better place." (and the person is no longer among the living) Seriously? Is there FB is Heaven? (or wherever they think Uncle Fred may be...)

I think that is more of a grieving, processing thing. I do that. My dad died VERY unexpectedly at 52. This April will be 5 years. I still have a VERY hard time with it. That time of year really REALLY hits me hard and its kind of a way to get it out ya know? That way also people will know why I am not myself. Distant relatives might be different but I know that just helps me. I could care less if anybody reads it or not its just something for me, and my brother and other relatives that were close with him.

I don't think you are being uncharitable or clueless. I agree it doesn't really make any sense if the child can't read it, but I also don't think Facebook is really meant to be taken quite as seriously as some people take it.

I have only been on Facebook for about 5 months, and that's only because I allowed my teenager to join, so I joined, too. It's really quite meaningless and well .... stupid ... but I don't take any of it seriously. I don't get all the hype or all the issues with Facebook. It's just silly and meaningless to me.

Just my 2 Cents on Facebook.

It doesn't "offend" me, but I think it's myopic.

I've posted to my mom (died 6.5 years ago). Many people on my FB knew my mom, but I posted because it was how I was feeling at that time and more meaningful than a lot of stuff I've seen on FB.

There seem to be some *literalists* in this thread. I'm an English major at heart, that's why I can accept a wide range of truth that is not literal. Creatively using words to communicate is my heart.

Yep, I think it's weird, too. But, as Joanne mentioned, we literalists sometimes have a hard time ;).

An acquaintance of mine once posted a lovely happy anniversary comment to her husband, something along the lines of, "I'd say yes all over again, Honey." But Honey isn't on FB. I think that's weird.

Tell everyone it's your anniversary, sure. Tell us all you'd do it all over again, sure. But to address Honey, specifically, when you know Honey isn't going to read it? I don't get it.

See? I totally get that. It's a public affirmation to her love, committment, and marriage. It's a lovely gesture, and why anyone would feel it's odd or inappropriate baffles me.

I'd much rather an ode to a person not on FB than some of the stuff I do see. :D

I WANT to know what is going on in the lives of my fb friends- that's why I friended them. I assume the same is true of them' date=' but if it's not- I really hope they unfriend me.

Seriously, people spend too much time judging other people. If people's posts annoy you, it's your own fault. Use the unfriend button.[/quote']

Yes, exactly. Good grief.

I think that is more of a grieving, processing thing. I do that. My dad died VERY unexpectedly at 52. This April will be 5 years. I still have a VERY hard time with it. That time of year really REALLY hits me hard and its kind of a way to get it out ya know? That way also people will know why I am not myself. Distant relatives might be different but I know that just helps me. I could care less if anybody reads it or not its just something for me, and my brother and other relatives that were close with him.

I post about my dad too, who I lost almost 3 years ago. It's much harder than I expected it to be, even this far out.

To each his own, I suppose.

Yep, I think it's weird, too. But, as Joanne mentioned, we literalists sometimes have a hard time ;).

An acquaintance of mine once posted a lovely happy anniversary comment to her husband, something along the lines of, "I'd say yes all over again, Honey." But Honey isn't on FB. I think that's weird.

Tell everyone it's your anniversary, sure. Tell us all you'd do it all over again, sure. But to address Honey, specifically, when you know Honey isn't going to read it? I don't get it.

My husband reads my facebook page. In fact, quite a few of my FB friends are his side of the family. He doesn't see the need to set his own up since I have one.

That said, I still wouldn't do it. He lives here. :confused:

See and I have stopped trying to post info like this due to internet safety. I don't need somebody stealing my child's idenity.

:iagree: This would be why I wouldn't post identifying info. FB is always getting hacked, and their is one's kid's name and dob for all the world to see. More than likely a city or at least a state.

I post about my dad too, who I lost almost 3 years ago. It's much harder than I expected it to be, even this far out.

To each his own, I suppose.

:grouphug: I lost my dad eight years ago. I still do a double take when I see a truck on the highway that looks like his. He wasn't the most loving dad there ever was, but he would drop by and we would have coffee and talk.

My son was born just hours later on the same day. His birthday was kind of hard for a few years. I'm glad he was too young to remember a melancholy mom on his special day. :001_unsure:

Well' date=' I'm one of those who will write something along the lines of "One year ago today we were bringing A home from the hospital!" I'm not trying to get people to respond. I post about what is going on in my life- if someone wants to comment, great, if not- that's fine too. [b']I WANT to know what is going on in the lives of my fb friends- that's why I friended them. I assume the same is true of them, but if it's not- I really hope they unfriend me. [/b]

Seriously, people spend too much time judging other people. If people's

posts annoy you, it's your own fault. Use the unfriend button.

THANK you!! :iagree:

:grouphug: I lost my dad eight years ago. I still do a double take when I see a truck on the highway that looks like his. He wasn't the most loving dad there ever was, but he would drop by and we would have coffee and talk.

My son was born just hours later on the same day. His birthday was kind of hard for a few years. I'm glad he was too young to remember a melancholy mom on his special day. :001_unsure:

Oh gosh, wow, I am so sorry. That would be so hard!! My dad died right between two of my kids birthdays. I was really scared he might die on one of their birthdays (or mine, which was a month later, but I would have handled that better). Anyway, it's hard to lose a parent. My only son was born a year later and he has the same expressions as my dad. Kind of bittersweet.