Menu

Different styles of education

RainbowSprinkles

I currently have a fourth grader and a first grader. You can see in my signature what we are using for this school year. Originally I had planned on adding a "Waldorfy" feel to our school, but it hasn't quite worked out for a few different reasons. One being that I decided that too late and I couldn't afford spending a lot all at once. The other was that I had my baby in October, so I wasn't sure I wanted something very time-intensive.

Anyway, my younger two are almost 3 and just about 3 months. Obviously if I wanted to go more Waldorf with them, I would have a few years to get what I need.

I was wondering if anyone has ever done something like this? Teach older kids a completely different way than their younger kids? And what was your experience?

Edited by RainbowSprinkles

I was very strict with my oldest 2 kids when they were 1st grade/2nd grade, but I'm basically unschooling the 1st grader we have now. It's weird, because she's at the exact same level (reading, math, etc) the older kids were at that age (when I was strict). :confused: Weird, eh? Our house is like a big experiment in homeschooling pedagogy.

I'm really starting to think a lot of stuff is environment, too. I can't quite put my finger on it (I know that sounds very scientific), but I notice kids pick up so much from just listening to adults, read-alouds, traveling, etc. You could use any curriculum out there, but I think it's ultimately the teacher and environment that has the most influence.

Is Oak Meadow not an option? We've used a little bit of their stuff. They're a lot cheaper than some of the other Waldorf curricula out there. Also, I wonder if there isn't a "make your own Waldorf curriculum at home" book or something.

Is Oak Meadow not an option? We've used a little bit of their stuff. They're a lot cheaper than some of the other Waldorf curricula out there. Also, I wonder if there isn't a "make your own Waldorf curriculum at home" book or something.

I just don't know where I would put both of them with Oak Meadow. Plus, what my older two are doing is definitely working. It's just me thinking it would be so much fun.

We use a Waldorf curriculum (Christopherus) with DS11 and have done since we started homeschooling in 2nd grade. Its great, and very rigorous. They have recently put out an early years book. You could try A Little Garden Flower for some early grades stuff - the books aren't an open-and-go curriculum, but do have lots of info to set you up. Its also worth looking at Marsha Johnson's yahoo group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/waldorfhomeeducators/), where you will find lots of info about early years stuff, a lively forum and files relevant to each grade level.

While we aren't Steiner purists, I don't view Oak Meadow as a Waldorf curriculum. It may have been in its early editions, but I think it now has lots more in common with the classical model. Its a great, solid curriculum, though.

Any Steiner source will cheerfully tell you that your littlies don't need a curriculum. I think the best books on this age level are "You are your child's first teacher" by Rahima Baldwin Dancy, and any of Petra Berger's books on playing and toymaking with young children.

HTH

D

Edited by Deee
added a bit!

I was wondering if anyone has ever done something like this? Teach older kids a completely different way than their younger kids? And what was your experience?

Not the same situation as yours - but I absolutely use different schooling methods for my two children, because they have very different personalities and need different things to motivate them.

DD, a high achieving perfectionist, benefits from a structured approach, loves completing things, and likes schedules, plans, deadlines, assignments.

DS, a relaxed minimalist, benefits from an almost unschooling approach, does best with interest led learning and likes to fully immerse himself in a topic.

Obviously, I will have to change methods a little bit when he hits high school, but the basic differences in character and personality remain and must be taken into account to give each the education that is best for him or her.

Not the same situation as yours - but I absolutely use different schooling methods for my two children, because they have very different personalities and need different things to motivate them.

:iagree: ...only I have 3 dc, and I don't change styles completely. I'm a CM/Classical mix, and I lean towards CM for ds8 and Classical for dd6 (huge fan of FLL:tongue_smilie:). The jury is still out for ds5.