Menu

WWS Question: how much additional writing?

I just got my copy of WWS, watched SWB's video, and listened to her middle grade writing MP3. (I'm not planning on starting dd with this till the fall, but am compulsively planning ahead, as usual! :D)

In the middle-grade writing MP3 (which predates WWS), SWB suggests that the 5th grade student do short, daily writing assignments across the curriculum. She suggests two outline assignments from science or history, 2 summaries, and 1 literary analysis. Here is my question: Does WWS replace those assignments, or are you guys assigning a daily WWS lesson, *and* an additional writing assignment, in history, science or lit?

WWS looks pretty intense to me, and seems like it would be enough direct writing instruction, but I'm wondering what those of you who are using it are finding. Thanks!

At the convention, SWB said if you're doing WWE (and I would also assume this applies to WWS) your history and science notebook will be a lot smaller. WWS has an outline each week. So I would then do one in either history or science to show how it transfers to their own work - that's the point after all. In WWS there are two summaries. That changes mid-way when she begins to give DC details and they re-write from those details. Lit analysis doesn't come in until the near the end. Honestly, with writing in Latin, Spelling, History (combo of HO and K12HO student pages) and WWS, it's more than enough writing for my phobic DS. We aren't doing much writing at all in science at the moment. It's read and discuss, watch a demonstration. Yesterday it took an hour getting out a good paragraph for history. On such a day, i would have just done the outlining lesson in WWS rather than Day, Day 3 or 4.

:bigear:

Granted with WWS, I imagine a lot of families are still figuring this out. Didn't SWB have a thread for feedback and conversing with her? I imagine there would be reference to this exact question.

Edit:

I knew I had read it somewhere. On the Logic Stage subforum (where we're at), the 2nd or 3rd thread down is specifically for WWS. Your question is addressed on pages 4 and 5. There may be more feedback on later pages if you continue to read. I am slowly wrapping my head around what this needs to look like for 5th grade as I start the planning process. Thank you for making me think about this. :)

Edited by sewpeaceful

In the middle-grade writing MP3 (which predates WWS), SWB suggests that the 5th grade student do short, daily writing assignments across the curriculum. She suggests two outline assignments from science or history, 2 summaries, and 1 literary analysis. Here is my question: Does WWS replace those assignments...

In light of WTM and those audio lectures, I think it does. I think WWS is the detailed fleshing out of the ideas in WTM and the audios.

c'mon, I know lots of you out there is using WWS . . . are you assigning additional writing in other curriculum areas, like science, lit or history? or is WWS "enough" writing for your 5th grader? :bigear:

My 5th grader does a "day 5" writing assignment. WWS has assignments for four days (although in a new promo video, SWB mentions that some of those assignments may spill over to day 5, understandably so). On weeks where dd does the four days within four days, she has a writing assignment on day 5 in history, science, or literature. I just have her practice skills she has been learning in WWS, on her content-area reading. If I were to add content-area writing assignments every day *in addition* to WWS, that would be way too much for her.

No, I am not assigning additional writing beyond what we do in CC and WWS. DD10 is in 5th grade this year, and that is keeping her busy enough. She does other writing with her Latin translations, typing, cursive work practice, and does keep a timeline and short summaries in history. I have 'occasionally' had her do additional writing in history, but maybe only twice this semester.

My boys do two history outlines, one literature narration/plot summary, and two lists of facts from history and science each week in addition to WWS. My middle son is also beginning TCW to use at his own speed. Writing is something I wanted to emphasize this year, but I don't think I'd be comfortable not assigning at least a little more writing than what's in WWS.

My ds is in 7th. I have him do 3-4 lessons of WWS. He has outside classes 2 days a week, with homework, and doing 4 days isn't always possible. Then he also does one outline and one summary from his history reading every week. Also, whenever he finishes a literature or historical fiction book, about 2 per month, we discuss them and then he writes a beginning lit analysis essay.

Welll, the plan laid out in the newest edition of TWTM for fifth grade would include a formal writing program 4 days per week, writing letters regularly, writing about a page on each book the student reads for his "school reading" (I'm thinking this might be once a week, or a bit less, depending), dictation twice per week, and a history outline and written summary, each once per week.

(I haven't gone over the science section again yet, but I'm pretty sure there's a lab write up and/or summary in there. I'm not sure yet how many of those I'm going to require, though).

We are just starting WWS, so I'm not sure how intense the assignments later on are going to be, but I'm planning to follow the recommendation in the video to limit the program to 30-45 minutes per day, even if that means it takes us a little longer to complete the work. I am planning to include one other assignment each day (either a dictation, summary/narration, or outline).