Menu

Quirky holiday traditions

My brother and his wife spent the day after thanksgiving with my family and we had the big family thanksgiving dinner here with my extended family. On thanksgiving day, my brother took his wife and 2 dd's to Mc Donalds just for fun. He said it was awesome and will continue the tradition of Mickey D's on Thanksgiving day.

This morning I was scouring the area for corn nuts. I already bought beef jerkey. My kids and dh eat corn nuts and beef jerky for Christmas breakfast each year, as that is what is in their stockings. (:eek::ack2:)

Anyone else have any quirky traditions to share?

I bake pretty much only around Christmastime. And I bake a lot of stuff. On Christmas morning I put out all the cookies and treats, and candy. The boys can eat whatever they want. It's their only day of unrestricted access to sweets (we do have the "if you start acting crazy, we reserve the right to cut you off" disclaimer). Around lunchtime I put out a plate of cheese and lunch meat, and we have leftovers for dinner. The boys love this tradition and make sure that I'm continuing it every year. Surprisingly enough, they regulate pretty well.

Until a couple of years ago, my grandma hosted Thanksgiving. For years we had the traditional skeet shooting contest in her backyard, complete with a traveling trophy. You know you're having a redneck Thanksgiving when Grandma calls you and reminds you to bring your gun :lol:.

Growing up, every year after Christmas we had the annual Christmas Tree burning. We'd stand the tree in the yard and light it up. It was great! It burned in flash! Unfortunately we can't do that where we are, but I miss that tradition. :tongue_smilie:

HA!

We do this too. My kids think it is great.

One year we caught the whole back field on fire. Note to self---don't try to burn the Christmas tree in a dry field on a windy day.

The first year my parents were married (54 years ago) they wanted to host a Christmas party for their friends but they didn't have much money. They ended up having a great party (I'm told) and feeding all their friends White Castles and champagne.

To this day, I've had White Castles and champagne for dinner every single Christmas Eve of my entire life. The tradition continues this year, and I get to introduce my fiance to it this time. :-)

I bake pretty much only around Christmastime. And I bake a lot of stuff. On Christmas morning I put out all the cookies and treats, and candy. The boys can eat whatever they want. It's their only day of unrestricted access to sweets (we do have the "if you start acting crazy, we reserve the right to cut you off" disclaimer). Around lunchtime I put out a plate of cheese and lunch meat, and we have leftovers for dinner. The boys love this tradition and make sure that I'm continuing it every year. Surprisingly enough, they regulate pretty well.

Until a couple of years ago, my grandma hosted Thanksgiving. For years we had the traditional skeet shooting contest in her backyard, complete with a traveling trophy. You know you're having a redneck Thanksgiving when Grandma calls you and reminds you to bring your gun :lol:.

Why, Judomom, that's incredibly Remudamom of you! :D