Menu

Breastfeeding, Losing Weight, Sparkpeople (?)

Okay, after nearly being in tears at the dr's today, I tried to sign up for Sparkpeople. They wouldn't let me sign up unless I clicked the "I'm not pregnant or breastfeeding". It said that I'm not allowed/can't use their diet plans or recipes. They wanted to transfer me to "Babyfit". Are they serious? Can someone please explain why I wouldn't be able to safely lose weight with them while breastfeeding?

Also, can someone explain why my pants are looser a month after buying them if I'm supposedly GAINING significant weight? (I really thought I was losing weight) :glare:

FWIW, Weight Watchers has a program for nursing moms.

Sparkpeople probably just doesn't want the liability. It's not about whether or not it's actually safe, it's the hassle of dealing with lawsuits claiming injury because of them not doing enough to ensure safety.

WW isn't free. This is something I have to do on my own.

I'm not one for lying, but it's lying to a computer, I could live with that. But would your conscious allow you to check Yes and then just mentally add in the extra daily calories you need while breastfeeding?

I did. I figured that I know what is too little with breastfeeding...I have nursed eight children. Yeah, it could be a liability issue. Just irks me that they act like nursing women should eat THAT much differently. Just felt like, "oh, you're nursing, so you just need to stay fat". The young nurse irritated me at the office today.

The concerns with weight loss during breastfeeding are malnutrition and too few calories. Losing weight is perfectly safe, just account for a few extra calories for breastfeeding, and make sure you are drinking plenty of water. If you are currently having supply issues, you want to take that into consideration.

I am not familiar with the program. Is it a rapid weight loss type of thing?

After having my youngest, the Dr. told me that rapid weight loss produsses a hormone that would be passed on via breast milk and could cause weight loss in baby. It has been over a year, so I can't remember the specifics, though. Maybe that is why.

HTH

Danielle

Okay, after nearly being in tears at the dr's today, I tried to sign up for Sparkpeople. They wouldn't let me sign up unless I clicked the "I'm not pregnant or breastfeeding". It said that I'm not allowed/can't use their diet plans or recipes. They wanted to transfer me to "Babyfit". Are they serious? Can someone please explain why I wouldn't be able to safely lose weight with them while breastfeeding?

Also, can someone explain why my pants are looser a month after buying them if I'm supposedly GAINING significant weight? (I really thought I was losing weight) :glare:

I still used the regular program while bf'ing. I think it's just a liability thing, too.

Have you been exercising already? Maybe you are gaining muscle and that's why your weight is up, even though your clothes are looser?

I still used the regular program while bf'ing. I think it's just a liability thing, too.

Have you been exercising already? Maybe you are gaining muscle and that's why your weight is up, even though your clothes are looser?

Could also be that the slack, jiggly, "baby belly" is getting firmed up too. I always hated how you look like a deflated balloon after delivery. If things are going back to normal your pants would be fitting better.

Good luck on your weight loss journey! If you're an 8 time veteran, you know what you're doing!

You need 200-300 extra calories a day in the 3rd trimester when pregnant (this is above your maintenance level, which you would have to calculate-- there are lots of online calorie calculators).

You need 500 extra calories when you are exclusively breastfeeding-- again this is above your maintenance level.

Women should not go below 1200 calories a day, so the bare minimum you should eat is 1700 a day if you are exclusively breastfeeding.

As far as why your pants are loose, if you are recently post partum, it can take many weeks for your uterus to shrink back to normal and to stop retaining water, and even longer for your abdominal muscles to start healing/ getting back to normal. So as this happens your pants will be looser.

Baby was born in April. My belly looks like it does, because I've gone through so many pregnancies.

I am exercising more, after feeling trapped in my home for a few years (one of the things I hate about the city...I need SPACE!). I've been going to the barn with my daughter and helping muck the stalls and carry bales of hay. It's not a lot of exercise, but it's something. Belly might be slightly firmer, but I really don't think that there is any cure for it's condition.

Baby was born in April. My belly looks like it does, because I've gone through so many pregnancies.

I am exercising more, after feeling trapped in my home for a few years (one of the things I hate about the city...I need SPACE!). I've been going to the barn with my daughter and helping muck the stalls and carry bales of hay. It's not a lot of exercise, but it's something. Belly might be slightly firmer, but I really don't think that there is any cure for it's condition.

Yep. At a certain point I think those muscles just get ripped up beyond repair! I have noticed that my stomach gradually "holds together" more as the post partum months go by. But I'm still not sure what is loose skin, battered muscle, or fat!