Menu

Literature based preschool activities?

Crazyderiver

I plan to start some literature (picture books) activities for my 3yo. I know about FIAR and MP Story Treasures, but what else is out there? I kinda want a unit study approach to good children's books. I am :bigear:

Info to know...

We have a poor library system.

I am a planner and like structure.

30 minutes 3-4 days a week.

I'm not creative and need guidance, variety, and clear directions for hands-on.

3yo doesn't write (in case your 3yo does).

Thanks in advance for saving me endless hours scouring the Internet!

We are using this: http://www.amazon.com/Picture-Book-Activities-Preschoolers-Childrens/dp/0743216172. The only downside is you would have to find and purchase the books your library does not carry. A bunch of the books are in my 20th Century Children's Book Treasury (http://www.amazon.com/20th-Century-Childrens-Book-Treasury/dp/B00509CNZ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324562984&sr=1-1) from our Sonlight P3/4. Come to think of it, we had a great time with SL P3/4 and it comes with all the books! Picture Book activities have more activities per book and I structured it around a letter per week so dd could learn her alphabet. Best of luck!

I really like Journeys of Imagination from Winter Promise. The book choices are excellant for my 3 year old. HOWEVER, I would never again buy an entire package from them because of shipping issues. I would by the TM and then get the books used on Amazon, Ebay, where-ever. My three year old also is not writing yet, so we are adding in the Rod and Staff About Three series when we resume in January to boost pre-writing skills and we also do reading eggs.

I am sure this doesn't count as quality children's lit in many eyes but we read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom every day (and most weekends) and we have a big coconut tree on the wall. Every week we put a new letter on the tree. My little DD-2.75 yrs, can pick out A, B, C, D, H, M, O, R, S, T, W, X, Z (and probably more but I know she knows those letters.) M,O,T and D are letters for our family's first names and she also recognizes the letters of her name SARAH. We don't force letters on her but she always wants us to write our names on paper and she points to the letters she knows on signs, shirts, at the grocery store etc. She is very irriated that her sister's letter O is on the grocery store and her S isn't (the grocery cart says THANK YOU on it). I know not quite 3 is probably early to teach letters but she soaks it up so we give it to her.

Not a program, but I wanted to share an activity my three year old loves. I've gotten several flannel board storytelling books from the library. I copy the blackline pictures on paper and cut them out. I read the story, then using the picture pieces she retells the story to me and then we play the story together. I've also been able to find pictures online to print and use for retelling stories.

We've done The Gingerbread Man, The Three Pigs, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, The Frog Prince and Little Red Riding Hood so far. This is by far her favorite 'school' activity we do together. There was one book in particular that I copied most of the above stories out of, but I can't recall the title, sorry. I searched the library site and amazon to no avail. I will post it if I remember. All of the books I found at the library had reproducible patterns.

We have a felt board, but the paper retelling is easier and she just loves it. You could color the pieces or have your child color them, use cardstock or laminate if you wanted. I just use regular printer paper and leave them black and white, then store the pieces in a sheet protector when not in use.

BBC website has some blackline pictures for fairy tales and other stories. I printed out The Frog Prince and dd enjoyed it, but if I print another story from there I won't print the entire story and backgrounds, but be selective and only print the minimum necessary for a good retelling.

You said you know about FIAR. I picked it up once and perused through it before tossing it back on the shelf and walking away.

Luckily, I found this site and actually found blogs where people showed the amazing things they did with FIAR (and BEfore FIAR) and that peeked my interest enough to spend more than a passing glance with it.

I blogged about a few of our activities and lessons with FIAR. It was such an awesome start to "school". Gentle and fun but very educational. Feel free to check out my posts and see Fiar in action.

Check out the stuff available at Homeschool Share. Your son is probably at Level One. Note that many of the books should be available at even a "cruddy" library (or maybe your friendly local yard sale/thrift store), such as Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?; Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom; and The Poky Little Puppy.

I hope this helps you get started, at least! If you do decide to go with Before Five in a Row or Five in a Row, Homeschool Share has many wonderful resource to supplement those programs, as well, particularly if your son enjoys making lapbooks. (Mine did!)