Menu

So, I was flipping through the Magna Carta the other day....

Seriously! We went to the university museum a couple of weeks ago, and we got to hold and peruse a handwritten, illuminated copy of the Magna Carta from 1350! How cool is that?!

It was part of a touring exhibition by The Remnant Trust and will be at Mount Saint Mary's College in Emmitsburg, MD next. Other parts of their collection will be at Ivy Tech Community College in Columbus, Indiana and Spalding University in Louisville, Kentucky during the Fall 2008 semester. If you can go, I highly recommend it.

I posted pictures on my blog of all the different books we saw... and held. It was so cool!

ETA: Oops! I got a tad wordy at the beginning of my blog post. Scroll down a bit to see the pics.

Seriously! We went to the university museum a couple of weeks ago, and we got to hold and peruse a handwritten, illuminated copy of the Magna Carta from 1350! How cool is that?!

It was part of a touring exhibition by The Remnant Trust and will be at Mount Saint Mary's College in Emmitsburg, MD next. Other parts of their collection will be at Ivy Tech Community College in Columbus, Indiana and Spalding University in Louisville, Kentucky during the Fall 2008 semester. If you can go, I highly recommend it.

I posted pictures on my blog of all the different books we saw... and held. It was so cool!

ETA: Oops! I got a tad wordy at the beginning of my blog post. Scroll down a bit to see the pics.

How cool. I would love to go see it in MD. I'm jealous! :glare:

That is so cool!

No white gloves, or anything?

What did they smell like?

Were the pages fragile?

I am so jealous! How totally wicked!

(My kids are in the next room, watching Finding Nemo, and the language keeps creeping into my fingers. Sorry)

What a great day!

Suzanne

that you were able to handle the books at all. (This is not directed AT you; I'm just amazed at the organizers of the exhibit.) Antiquities conservators would insist on wearing white gloves, and, if the pages were turned at all, they would be turned by a museum employee. I'm also very surprised that you were able to take photos. I've been told that flash photography ages artwork 200 times more rapidly than direct sunlight.

In Rome last month almost all of the moms (most of us were very interested in art history) were shocked to see the carelessness with which the antiquities were treated. In the Vatican Museum the windows were open -- on a warm, humid day -- directly across from priceless wall tapestries. Direct sunlight and humid air were all over the tapestries. At the ancient ruins, children were able to walk all over crumbling walls and foundations.

But -- back to the historical books exhibit -- what a great opportunity for you! I'll have to find out more about the upcoming Maryland showing.