Menu

Older special needs kids and public meltdowns ?

jelbe5

My son had a meltdown at the public library last Saturday when he was there with my dh. My dh is a big guy so he can force our son out to the car, but my son is as big as me and I worry about incidents like this when he's with me. I also worry about the comments and unkind looks; I know I should not but I do. Any experience or tips to share?

My dd is still little, but I used to work in a group home with autistic boys, ages eleven to twenty, so I've been there many times. There isn't much you can do when people glare at you. I think most people figure out pretty quickly that the person has special needs, and for those that don't, I would just smile and shrug. They might still be annoyed, but that'll usually get them to stop staring at you.

As for getting the child physically out of the situation, there's not much you can do. Bribery can be helpful. :D One of the boys (who was over six feet tall and probably two hundred pounds) was an elopement risk, so he wore a special harness with handles on it at certain times.

:grouphug::grouphug: I don't really have any specific tips, but wanted you to know that you are not alone. There are always going to be those people who just don't get it. Dealing with special needs is truly one of those times that people do not understand unless they are walking in your shoes too. It is very hard since our kids don't look different, so most people don't realize that they have a disability and (sometimes) judge without knowing the facts. Honestly, I have been guilty of that in the past, before having children and special needs diagnoses.

My ds11 has autism. He had a meltdown in a restaurant last Sunday after church because he wanted a hamburger and they were only serving breakfast. We did get stares from people sitting around us, which really embarassed his twin sister and younger brother. We got through it, but it is hard when we are just never certain when he will lose control. Sometimes it is over quickly, and other times it seems to go on forever. Medication has helped him somewhat and I am not someone who ever wanted to give my son medicine. It just seems to take the edge off so he is not as explosive as he used to be in the past.

I once saw a shirt that said "I have autism. What's your excuse?" Not very nice, but it would get the point across.