Menu

Help with quick bread recipe (baking soda or powder???)

Can someone help with this? Here is a recipe for pumpkin eggnog quick bread, but baking powder is listed twice. One of them must be baking soda, but which? Thanks!

⅓ cup butter

1 cup brown sugar

2 cups unbleached flour

½ T. pumpkin pie spice

¼ t. cinnamon

½ t. baking powder

1 T. baking powder

½ t. salt

2 eggs

1 15 oz can pumpkin puree

2 T. pumpkin butter

½ cup eggnog

1 cup pecan pieces

Can someone help with this? Here is a recipe for pumpkin eggnog quick bread, but baking powder is listed twice. One of them must be baking soda, but which? Thanks!

⅓ cup butter

1 cup brown sugar

2 cups unbleached flour

½ T. pumpkin pie spice

¼ t. cinnamon

½ t. baking powder

1 T. baking powder

½ t. salt

2 eggs

1 15 oz can pumpkin puree

2 T. pumpkin butter

½ cup eggnog

1 cup pecan pieces

The soda is 1/2 tea and powder is 1 teas. I'd bet $1,000 on it.

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 Tablespoon baking powder.

I have to disagree. I just made Raw Apple Bread from Beard on Bread.

1/2 C butter creamed with 1 C sugar then add 2 eggs

Sift together 2 C all purp flour with 1/2t salt, 1/2 t BS, and 1 teas BP. Add to the creamed mixture alternating with 2 T of butter milk. Stir in 1 Cup chopped apples and 1/2 C walnuts. Bake at 350 in a well buttered 9" pan.

(This recipe doubles and quadruples well.)

T. is usually tablespoon and t. is teaspoon.

The larger quantity is almost always baking soda. Baking powder is a more concentrated product.

Plus a Tablespoon of baking powder AND more baking soda sounds like way too much for a 2 C of flour.

:iagree:

It does sound like too much. However, I don't have a single recipe that calls for as little as 1/2 tsp. of baking powder in any cookbook I own regardless of the amount of flour used. Even my pancake recipe that only called for 1 cup used a whole teaspoon. Very few of them include baking soda though, unless there is some particular reason baking soda would be needed (when there is more acidity for instance--like in buttermilk pancakes).

I doubt that both baking soda and baking powder are actually needed in this recipe, but I sure wouldn't try it with a tablespoon of baking soda. I would think it would be salty. And from the ingredient list, it just does not look that acidic to me. I think I'd ditch the baking soda entirely, and use 2 tsp of baking powder. Seems to be the standard amount for 1 loaf of a quick bread w/out acidic ingredients.

I found a recipe that looks pretty close and has no baking soda (2 tsp. baking powder though) at all:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/eggnog-quick-bread-2/

Now I need to make some. Too bad I have five ripe bananas that mean I'll be baking banana bread instead :tongue_smilie: