Menu

WWYD...DS 8 saw stocking gifts

My DS who is 8 and still believes in Santa looked in my closet and dug around :glare: and evidently saw some of the stocking gifts I had planned on giving his brother....he thinks they are gifts for DH. Also in the bag (but not mentioned by DS) are captain america pj's that were going to be part of his stocking gift. Any thoughts on how I should handle this? I am torn between switching out gifts under the tree and rewrapping for stocking gifts and just using the gifts originally planned as stocking gifts. Has anyone else experienced this before....what did you do?

Thanks!

Diane

My kids have always liked to get surprises for everyone to put into the stockings. So, our stockings are usually somewhat stuffed even before Christmas morning. We've always just said that our stockings are filled by each other & Santa tops them off w/ a little candy or a few small items.

Don't know if you could work that somehow, but it would save you having to switch out gifts, rewrap, etc....

:tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the hugs and advice :001_smile: Yeah...I think I am going to rearrange some gifts. Shouldn't be too difficult and as this is probably his last year to believe in Santa I would like for it to be still magical for him when he wakes up on Christmas morning!

I can still remember the the feeling of excitement, wonder, and magic I felt and want that for him as well.

Diane

At age 8 I probably would just give the gifts as planned and see if he mentions it. If so, and you want to continue the Santa thing, you could just say Santa stores some things at your house. We always figured when the kids stumbled across gifts and were old enough to question it, they were ready to hear the truth about Santa.

I told my son a couple years back that santa left the stockings up to us. That we were santa's helpers and took care of that task for him. He bought it.

This the last year we will be doing Santa gifts. My asperger's kid is having a hard time giving him up even though he knows.

Thanks for the hugs and advice :001_smile: Yeah...I think I am going to rearrange some gifts. Shouldn't be too difficult and as this is probably his last year to believe in Santa I would like for it to be still magical for him when he wakes up on Christmas morning!

I can still remember the the feeling of excitement, wonder, and magic I felt and want that for him as well.

Diane

Sounds good - and sounds like you're over the initial upset. If it was just gifts from you I'd agree that he just spoiled some of his surprise but I understand you not wanting him to find out about Santa that way. It does get harder as they get older!! My oldest was 7 last Christmas and figured it all out.

I have the exact same issue! DD found the nerf darts that go with the nerf guns in the stockings.

I think I'm going to have to wrap the darts from us, and carry on with the guns in the stockings, but it's frustrating as the Stockings get opened about 6am and the rest not until at least mid morning so they won't have the darts to play with for a few hours :(

Been there, done that. And yes, I swtiched gifts, but I absolutely love the excitement of Santa and surprises (as do my DSs) so maybe I went overboard. Here we make the new pjs a gift from Mom and Dad opened Christmas eve - maybe you could at least do that? The Captain America pjs sound too cool to give up!