Citadels

Carcassone

Bang

Jungle Speed

Balderdash

Dutch Blitz

Stone Age

Dominion

Check out boardgamegeek.com for information on just about every game ever made.

Do they like board games, card games, party games, strategy games? If you narrow it down, I could probably help more. Also, how many players would there be?

Off the top of my head:

Ticket to Ride

Citadels

Carcassone

Bang

Jungle Speed

Balderdash

Dutch Blitz

Stone Age

Dominion

Check out boardgamegeek.com for information on just about every game ever made.

Do they like board games, card games, party games, strategy games? If you narrow it down, I could probably help more. Also, how many players would there be?

Probably at least 4 people if not more. They always have company, girflriends and friends over. They like card games or board games that make you think - no drawing or anything just mainly things that would be mentally challenging.

And, no adult games in the way of being x-rated. That's not what I was looking for either by saying adult.

And, no adult games in the way of being x-rated. That's not what I was looking for either by saying adult.

Hijack warning:

A month ago we took a road trip from Colorado to Florida. On many of the interstates there were nasty stores, all with huge signs that usually only said "ADULT" in huge letters. While we've not really discussed it, our older teens understand that the stuff in there is smutty.

So, my 15 yodd says we should open a big, windowless store and put ADULT in huge letters. We'd sell things like denture cream, retirement planning books, canes, prunes, high-waisted men's pants, velcro closure shoes, Depends, etc.

I thought that was sort of funny.

Back to board games:

Ticket to Ride is my absolute favorite.

Carcasonne

Mexican Train Dominoes

I can not recommend Tsuro highly enough.

It is a fantastic tile game that lasts about 15-20 minutes per game. It's really fun, easy to learn, kind of strategy, kind of maze-brain game.

It's a great ice-breaker or for when guests come over. Better than cards! It's for 2 to 8 players, can be enjoyed by kids as young as 8ish and great for teens and adults. EVERYONE, from all sorts of game/non-game backgrounds we've ever introduced this game to, absolutely loves it.

Edited by jadedone80
add link

I thought of a few more that can support more than 4 players:

Incan Gold -- a push-your-luck type of game

Dixit -- a thinking person's party game

Time's Up -- party game

Coloretto -- quick card game with interesting decisions to make

Blokus -- great abstract strategy game for four

For Sale -- fun filler that works for up to six people; easy to learn

If you go to the boardgamegeek site, click on the Holiday Gift Guide in the top left hand corner to get game ideas that include number of players, ages, and descriptions. Check out the previous years' guides as well (linked within the first guide). This is probably one of the easiest ways to peruse games.

Is there an over 21 version of boulder dash?

Balderdash is a fairly ageless game. I think it actually plays much better with adults than with kids, because kids don't really make up convincing definitions. A table full of creative, intelligent adults makes Balderdash one of my all-time favourite games.

Wise and Otherwise! This is similar to Balderdash, but instead of making up definitions, you complete a saying or proverb from around the world.

This is a favorite in our family. It is our standard play with company game, and I know several people with whom we have played have bought their own game.

Apples to Apples and The Game of Things are our two favorites right now.

We also like The Game of Things very much.

Regards,

Kareni

This is a favorite in our family. It is our standard play with company game, and I know several people with whom we have played have bought their own game.

Are there any chain stores that sell Wise and Otherwise. I don't know if I have time to order from Amazon. Kmart, Target, Walmart, Barnes and Noble? Anything that might be local?

Thanks

Are there any chain stores that sell Wise and Otherwise. I don't know if I have time to order from Amazon. Kmart, Target, Walmart, Barnes and Noble? Anything that might be local?

Hmm, I don't know if Wise and Otherwise is carried by any chain stores; however, I did see it at our local mall in the seasonal calendar and game store.

I hope you can find it!

Regards,

Kareni