Menu

For those who jog or even run??

I have a big question for you all, I would really appreciate your advice! I am looking to start jogging and have found the Couch to 5k approach to be very successful. But I am a little worried about my legs getting bulky, as my legs are already kind of bulky, I do not want them to remain or even get bulkier than what they already are. I'd like for them to slim down more while still retaining a good quality of muscle, I enjoy jogging but don't want to commit if it means bigger legs. All my friends who jog have slim but tonned legs, and I want that, but since I seem to retain more muscle I am wondering if is a wise thing to do.

As of right now I am power walking and hoping to alternate between the two for my daily workout, and then I do scissor kicks, lunges, squats, sit-ups, and push-ups along with my workout (not everyday but probably every other day). Is there anyway to tone down my legs??

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!:bigear:

You can't get 'more bulky' by running. And you can't change your genetics. If you're built a certain way, don't fight it; embrace it! :D (says this girl with big thighs who loves to run.) If you are built more 'thick' in a certain area, one specific kind of exercise isn't going to make it worse. It would take a lot of specific weight training to make any one muscle area bigger. BTW, Couch to 5k is a GREAT program to start out with. Enjoy your runs. You'll feel great and look great.

You can't get 'more bulky' by running. And you can't change your genetics. If you're built a certain way, don't fight it; embrace it! :D (says this girl with big thighs who loves to run.) If you are built more 'thick' in a certain area, one specific kind of exercise isn't going to make it worse. It would take a lot of specific weight training to make any one muscle area bigger. BTW, Couch to 5k is a GREAT program to start out with. Enjoy your runs. You'll feel great and look great.

Thanks BrookeValley, my mom told me the same thing, and the Couch to 5k has so far been awesome, I love the pace it goes at and how you can adjust it to your own pace if need to. Thanks for the encouragement!:)

My thought exactly. You may also be noticing "bulk" that happens when you build muscle tone but haven't lost the fat layer over it. This, too, shall pass. ;)

I also have very suggestible muscles, and dancer's legs (as opposed to the long, lean runners' legs)... In my experience, my legs will never be skinny, so I'll go for ample and muscular rather than ample and fat. Because BrookValley's right: you can't change genetics.

My thought exactly. You may also be noticing "bulk" that happens when you build muscle tone but haven't lost the fat layer over it. This, too, shall pass. ;)

I also have very suggestible muscles, and dancer's legs (as opposed to the long, lean runners' legs)... In my experience, my legs will never be skinny, so I'll go for ample and muscular rather than ample and fat. Because BrookValley's right: you can't change genetics.

Okay, maybe you are right on having muscular legs rather than ample and fat! My friends said I looked fine and that they were jealous of me!:001_huh: But I get where you are coming from, thank you and no I can't change the genetics!:D

I say run and don't worry about it. As a runner, you will never have a tendancy to have thunder thighs. You will lose weight and the added muscle will only make your legs look muscular not fat. The more muscle you have, the more fat you will burn. Believe me, you will be pleased. :001_smile:

I would invest in a really good pair of running shoes, though. I can make all the difference and prevent injury. Brooks is a really good brand. Also, take it slow. A lot of injuries occur when people just assume running means just starting off running. I would walk a lot and, if possible, uphill so that you can build up strength in your legs. Weight are good for this also. Then begin to add slow jogs into your walking routine and before you know it, you'll be off. And no "thunder thighs".

Good luck!

I have been running since the summer and my legs have definitely NOT bulked up, but have gotten slimmer as I've lost the weight. My hiney is about gone, and my thighs are smaller than they have ever been. My calves are much more defined but I wouldn't say bulky. I always thought I was bulkier, but I really just had layers of fat over the muscle. :lol: Start slow and enjoy it! I find it quite addictive now.

Some people have more muscle mass than others, and there's no way you're going to shrink it. I'm just the opposite; I've been weight training for a few years now, and while my legs are definitely more defined, they are still skinny. I've also been running for awhile now (working up to a half marathon) and I've seen absolutely no increase in bulk. Like previous posters have said, you can't change genetics. My dad has even skinnier legs than I do. I'm jealous! I'd love some more bulk, but it just isn't going to happen! :glare:

One thing about your strength training exercises, though: I would do lighter weights and more reps. Heavier weights will lead to bigger muscles.

Thank you all so much for your advice and encouragement, I always thought that I would get bulkier if I started jogging, but now that that myth is slashed, I will finally be able to enjoy running. It's funny because I am the only one in the family that seems to carry more muscle, my brother said he was jealous and so were my friends! They said that they wished their legs looked like mine, funny how they are just now telling me all this when I have been trying to get legs like theirs! :tongue_smilie:

Thank you all again for your advice, I feel more confident now and can't wait until I can run marathons!:001_smile:

Also keep in mind that "muscle bulk" looks and moves differently than "fat bulk". Fat bulk is often a bit dimply and wiggles in waves (at least mine did :p ), fat bulk is smooth and when your thighs "jiggle" they jiggle as one "unit", rather than in that wavey motion that fat jiggles. Nobody's going to mistake muscle bulk for fat bulk. :)

Thank you all so much for your advice and encouragement, I always thought that I would get bulkier if I started jogging, but now that that myth is slashed, I will finally be able to enjoy running. It's funny because I am the only one in the family that seems to carry more muscle, my brother said he was jealous and so were my friends! They said that they wished their legs looked like mine, funny how they are just now telling me all this when I have been trying to get legs like theirs! :tongue_smilie:

Thank you all again for your advice, I feel more confident now and can't wait until I can run marathons!:001_smile:

:leaving::leaving:(fairfarmhand goes to tie on the running shoes to jog before the rain comes in)

Take it from a swim and gym mom who has watched dozens, maybe hundreds, of girls go through years and years of the exact same workout: some girls get long and lean muscles; some get bulkier muscles. With the exception of ballet dancers, who mostly all get long and lean, I think you are going to get what you are going to get. Even if you took up dancing for 20 hours per week, I suspect that you are too old to get the dancer body. Sorry to be the one to break it to you!

Your legs will look great from running, long and lean or not!

I feel more confident now and can't wait until I can run marathons!:001_smile:

Be careful what you wish for... ;) I'm just back from 19+ miles for the day. I'm hoping not to pass out before swim team tonight! Oh, and at 47, I'm just glad to be able to walk afterwards. The shape of my thighs is irrelevant currently. :tongue_smilie:

Be careful what you wish for... ;) I'm just back from 19+ miles for the day. I'm hoping not to pass out before swim team tonight! Oh, and at 47, I'm just glad to be able to walk afterwards. The shape of my thighs is irrelevant currently. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: Don't worry, I won't rush the process.

Go for it! Crossing the 26.2 finish line will provide a sense of satisfaction and empowerment. Make sure you go to a real running shop and get properly fitted for shoes that will best fit your foot/gait. Enjoy!

Good job! Are you training for a specific event?

I wish I weren't, but I've been roped into the Disney marathon by friends. (I've got this lingering metatarsalgia (sp??) that's giving me fits. But at Disney entry prices, there's no way I'm a DNS!)

My maintenance is usually about a 40-45 mile week with a 13 mile run as my longest run. Some weeks less. ;)

I wish I weren't, but I've been roped into the Disney marathon by friends. (I've got this lingering metatarsalgia (sp??) that's giving me fits. But at Disney entry prices, there's no way I'm a DNS!)

My maintenance is usually about a 40-45 mile week with a 13 mile run as my longest run. Some weeks less. ;)

I'm not a Disney kinda marathoner, but I hope you have a great run. Is it your first? Sounds like you're well-prepared given your mileage base. Sorry about the ongoing injury. I've been battling issues with my peroneal tendons since last May myself, but like all stubborn runners, I keep on truckin'.:tongue_smilie:

Go for it! Crossing the 26.2 finish line will provide a sense of satisfaction and empowerment. Make sure you go to a real running shop and get properly fitted for shoes that will best fit your foot/gait. Enjoy!

Thank you Colleen, so far I am halway through week one of Couch to 5k, I didn't realize how hard it is to run!:001_smile:

I am so loving it though and thank you for the advice!