Menu

Which Saxon Math DVDs are the best?

Which Saxon Math DVDs do you prefer?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which Saxon Math DVDs do you prefer?

• Saxon Teacher
    • Teaching Tapes
    • DIVE

Thank you all for your responses. Regarding the Art Reed and Saxon Teacher DVDs, can you tell me approximately how long each lesson is? My DD does not enjoy learning on a computer, but with 4 other children, I need to be able to pass some teaching time off.

For the Art Reed, your best bet is to look at the samples on the website. I haven't used any of them yet, but like those samples the best. It's just been a bit since I actually looked at the samples personally. Saxon is designed for short teaching sessions, so I don't imagine the instructional piece is all that long, don't know about working out the problems. You could also contact him directly. He has free long distance, so if you email him your phone number, he is happy to call back at no charge to you. He was very helpful to me last year when I had some questions about placement for my daughter. We spent a good 20 minutes or so on the phone and I've not purchased anything from him yet (though I plan to when we need them).

Edited by KarenNC

Thank you all for your responses. Regarding the Art Reed and Saxon Teacher DVDs, can you tell me approximately how long each lesson is? My DD does not enjoy learning on a computer, but with 4 other children, I need to be able to pass some teaching time off.

We've only used Art Reed Algebra 1; I would guess that they are about 10 minutes give or take a few minutes. There is only one long lesson that I remember ~ 20min; it's a review of arithmetic - lesson 4.

Call or email Art, and he will give you more details. You'll find him extremely helpful (so I've heard).

I'll be a dissenting voice...

I like the DIVE CD-Roms with Saxon. There are two things that DIVE has that the others don't:

One, the instructor infuses a Biblical worldview with the lessons, which is an important issue for our family.

Two, the examples and explanations that Dr. Shormann (sp?) uses are NOT in the textbook, which gives yet one more angle of instruction.

And I actually like that it's only the whiteboard and nothing else. There is less distraction that way.

Thank you, Karen...do you happen to know how long each lesson is? I, too, would like a Biblical worldview.

I like the DIVE CD-Roms with Saxon. There are two things that DIVE has that the others don't:

One, the instructor infuses a Biblical worldview with the lessons, which is an important issue for our family.

This is the reason DIVE isn't an option for our family.;) I just want math in our math books.

Two, the examples and explanations that Dr. Shormann (sp?) uses are NOT in the textbook, which gives yet one more angle of instruction.

The Art Reed dvds do NOT use the examples and explanations in the book. He uses his own examples and adds to the lesson that which he feels a good teacher would tell their students.

We've used both DIVE and Art Reed with Saxon alg. 1. We prefer Art Reed.

Another plug for Art Reed! We have used his video's from Alg 2 and now advanced math. Each video is about 10 minutes. Really not that long. He uses problems that are not in the math book, love that! He also gives the kids tips sometimes on how to do things better. I remember one lesson he said you will not learn this until lesson X but it is just easier to do it all now and taught the kids. After my dd did the lesson she agreed.

We have also emailed him on several occasions. He called my dd and spoke with her on the phone one time when she was not understanding something!

Lynda

Another Art Reed fan here. We also use Saxon Teacher, but that is just to show how to do the problems--something a solutions manual can do.

And I can vouch that Mr. Reed is very accessible. I met him at a convention and he said to call/email any time. I did, and he promptly followed through. I like him b/c he's so old school. My dd really enjoys him as well. Ds was just ok w/the dvds. He's doing Chalkdust now and prefers that program.

Laura

• 3 weeks later...

I am SO glad to find this thread!!!! My ds will be starting Saxon Algebra I in March. I had bought the Saxon Teacher CDs, but I was leery about just having the whiteboard instruction because he has CAPD and does much better when seeing the teacher. And he definitely doesn't need a fast-talking teacher! The Art Reed DVDs look like just what he needs!:D

I originally posted for Saxon Teacher. And, I do prefer Saxon Teacher to DIVE. However, we have started using Art Reed dvds this month and love them!! Dd has had so many "ah ha" moments, that we are going back and reviewing a great deal before going on to the next lessons. After spending a couple weeks with these dvds, I've changed my plan for Adv Math. I'm going to use the Art Reed dvds with the Adv Math text and solutions manual and skip purchasing the Saxon Teacher dvds. IF we find we need more help on solutions, then I will get the Saxon Teacher dvds, but I'm hoping to avoid them completely.

I originally posted for Saxon Teacher. And, I do prefer Saxon Teacher to DIVE. However, we have started using Art Reed dvds this month and love them!! Dd has had so many "ah ha" moments, that we are going back and reviewing a great deal before going on to the next lessons. After spending a couple weeks with these dvds, I've changed my plan for Adv Math. I'm going to use the Art Reed dvds with the Adv Math text and solutions manual and skip purchasing the Saxon Teacher dvds. IF we find we need more help on solutions, then I will get the Saxon Teacher dvds, but I'm hoping to avoid them completely.

Thank you for this! I just pick our Art Reed DVDs up from the post office and my DD will start using them tomorrow. I am hoping for some "ah ha" moments for her, too.

• 2 weeks later...

We have used DIVE and Saxon Teacher...and much prefer the Saxon DVD's over the DIVE. Both are similar, but for us having the exact problem explained...and every lesson and every test question and every investigation problem...is a huge help. Sometimes having a similar problem is not as helpful as seeing the exact problem you are struggling with worked out. My son who doesn't have a difficult time with math in general, said he thought the Saxon DVD was far better and he felt more confident using it to help him work through the occasional problem he couldn't figure out when I was busy with the other kids.

Cindy

• 5 months later...

Sorry about old thread but I have a question:)

What is the Advanced Math text and solutions? Is this an Art Reed product? Any links?

What is the Advanced Math text and solutions? Is this an Art Reed product? Any links?

Saxon Advanced Math is part of the Saxon high school math sequence. It's the text that traditionally follows Algebra 2, and covers precalculus, analytic geometry and trigonometry.

CBD, Rainbow Resource and Amazon all carry the home study kit for Saxon Advanced Math.