Menu

creating a curric on my own?

faiths13

i would like help figuring out how to make a curric for my kids on my own. we have been with a charter because curric is expensive, but i would like to be independent. someone gave me a good link on another thread to design your homeschool, but i would like something less religious. also it was very informative, but not exactly helpful to create a curric. i love most everything about the classical approach and the charlotte mason approach sounds great too. I want to use literature to create an la prorgram - im kind of understanding how i can do that. anyway, more links or advice would be wonderful! i have 4 kids i need to teach.

The WTM book lists a lot of literature, you could start with that. You can also look at the books used at Ambleside Online (CM), and put together a program using those resources. I sort of designed my own curriculum for US history using The Complete Book of US History plus reading suggestions from SL, Guesthollow, and members of this board. It's going well. I've found that it helps if you find a book you like for a "spine" and build around that, though you could look at a grade level scope and sequence or simply figure out what you want your children to learn and go from there.

I don't want to do grade levels - I don't want to do scope and sequence. I want the curricto go with where the kids are at individually. I don't want to do anything text books either. I guess that's where I get lost. Its easy to research curriculum and pick one and do what it says.

I'm a bit confused.

When we "make up our own curriculum", it just means that we do not use a boxed curricula; we research and purchase textbooks, workbooks, or living books that work with what we want to teach, on the levels we want to teach it.

I'm confused on what you actually want. Can you give an example?

I think you're talking about unschooling in the responsible/true sense of the word.

It is a loaded term, because it can mean so many different things, but I think what you are describing is what responsible unschooling is supposed to be; interest-driven reading, writing, exploration, based on the individual student, without being bound to someone else's curriculum design. You are right that following a curriculum is easier. Unschooling in an effective way I really think is a LOT of work. It means constantly being flexible, constantly providing resources, opportunities, thinking outside the box as a teacher to give the students what they need.

In short, there is no easy answer here. Use your library a ton, look into community resources, internet resources, etc.

Edited by zenjenn

I pull things I like best from different curriculums. I'd pick a math and science program you like (we use Math-U-See and Apologia). For history, lit., and the rest I'd look at www.amblesideonline.com as mentioned or www.simplycharlottemason.com. I'm going from memory, hope I got those links right! But both are free curriculum guides. If you'd like some worksheets for planning and are drawn to CM, Simply Charlotte Mason sells a "Planning Your CM Education" guide that is very helpful to make sure all bases are covered, and you can download daily, weekly, etc. plans. HTH some:) Gina

That's what is confusing me. She said she doesn't want to choose from WTM suggestions and no textbooks.

I'm trying to get a picture of what she means, but it isn't coming to me...

I pull things I like best from different curriculums. I'd pick a math and science program you like (we use Math-U-See and Apologia). For history, lit., and the rest I'd look at www.amblesideonline.com as mentioned or www.simplycharlottemason.com. I'm going from memory, hope I got those links right! But both are free curriculum guides. If you'd like some worksheets for planning and are drawn to CM, Simply Charlotte Mason sells a "Planning Your CM Education" guide that is very helpful to make sure all bases are covered, and you can download daily, weekly, etc. plans. HTH some:) Gina

No not so much unschooling. I don't want to hand the reigns over to my children. I want to be in charge and pick what we do. I want to use lots of literature to make up curriculum. Like using literature for spelling, writing, and grammar instead of texts and workbooks. And I guess doing something similar in other areas. Im just insure of how to put it together and make it work. I want to incorporate life into learning. Right now its all workbooks and texts and its not working for us.

That's what is confusing me. She said she doesn't want to choose from WTM suggestions and no textbooks.

I'm trying to get a picture of what she means, but it isn't coming to me...

I just don't want workbooks and texts. I don't have a list of WTM suggestions (waiting on the book) but it can't be all workbooks I assume.

I would recommend using literature for spelling, grammar, and writing ONLY if you have a very, very firm grasp on not only the content areas, but also how to TEACH them to others who do not have that claim to knowledge (ie your children).

I'm not a fan of suggesting to new homeschoolers that they simply hand their children books and assume they can learn what they need to learn from them. Once you get your footing, you can go there; but I would suggest, until then, that you invest in some quality textbooks for science and math, use living books for history, and buy workbooks (such as the author of WTM sells) for grammar and writing.

I just don't want workbooks and texts. I don't have a list of WTM suggestions (waiting on the book) but it can't be all workbooks I assume.

No not so much unschooling. I don't want to hand the reigns over to my children. I want to be in charge and pick what we do. I want to use lots of literature to make up curriculum. Like using literature for spelling, writing, and grammar instead of texts and workbooks. And I guess doing something similar in other areas. Im just insure of how to put it together and make it work. I want to incorporate life into learning. Right now its all workbooks and texts and its not working for us.

IMO what we do to create a curriculum is read lots of advice books. I've never done a formal spelling program with my daughter - she has naturally picked it up. I tried the same approach with writing but that didn't work - we use WriteSmith Apprentice for that and grammar. For math I use a workbook - Singapore - because IMO that needed a workbook with counting bears approach. We use SOTW for history but not the activity guide. Actually, my daughter listens to it on her iPod and then we talk about it to make sure she understand it. We have a good home library because the public library is dated and small.

Maybe not exactly what you want to use, but the schedules here would be a great springboard of ideas. She has lit schedules for all 4 years of the History rotation (free of course).

I create my own curric based on what I like from my favorite publishers (SCM, SL, WP, AO, etc) and schedules I find online free.

Another site you may enjoy perusing is Guest Hollow. Jenn has some wonderful schedules and it is very easy to leave out any religious books (again, not that you would USE her schedules, but seeing different layouts is what helped me in my planning many moons ago ;)).

If you really want to plan our own curric without looking around, I suggest using A Book in Time for History lit.

Cindy

I do this for various things. I know what you're trying to describe. You can see how I planned science this way on my blog, but I'm doing our US history this way this year and am doing writing this way too right now. I find doing a scope and sequence really helpful, even if it's individualized. I also find it useful to have a spine or encyclopedia for me.

I would recommend using literature for spelling, grammar, and writing ONLY if you have a very, very firm grasp on not only the content areas, but also how to TEACH them to others who do not have that claim to knowledge (ie your children).

I'm not a fan of suggesting to new homeschoolers that they simply hand their children books and assume they can learn what they need to learn from them. Once you get your footing, you can go there; but I would suggest, until then, that you invest in some quality textbooks for science and math, use living books for history, and buy workbooks (such as the author of WTM sells) for grammar and writing.

we are not brand new hs'ers. we have been doing this for a year and a half. that is long enough for me to move beyond forward to try other things besides textbooks. they arent working for us and havent worked for us. i never stated i was ever going to simply hand my children anything and expect them to understand it. i really dont understand the tone of your post at all - it seems kind of insulting.

The Charlotte Mason approach might be good for you. Ambleside Online is CM and so is Simply Charlotte Mason and Charlotte Mason Help. All have some schedules and stuff you can look at. Queen's Homeschool has a lot of learning-through-literature too.

I don't think it would be too difficult to teach at least spelling and grammar using literature. Personally I'd probably consider going with something like the teacher's book for Writing with Ease and using that as a guide to designing your own writing program (it has some grammar too), but that's just me. I think you could do science through literature + experiments too, or maybe look into BFSU which isn't a traditional textbook approach. Truthquest is a literature-based history program (it's an extensive booklist with commentary).

I apologize. I assumed that since you've been going through a charter, it was like a K12 program (not homeschool; but virtual public school). I was obviously mistaken. Apologies again.

we are not brand new hs'ers. we have been doing this for a year and a half. that is long enough for me to move beyond forward to try other things besides textbooks. they arent working for us and havent worked for us. i never stated i was ever going to simply hand my children anything and expect them to understand it. i really dont understand the tone of your post at all - it seems kind of insulting.

If you want to do grammar, spelling, writing through literature, I think you should read more about Charlotte Mason's approach. That's pretty much how she advocated learning language arts and she has a lot of good ideas.

As for the other subjects, I agree with po who suggested finding a book you like as a spine. There are a lot of those things like "First Encyclopedia of ________", things like the human body, astronomy, etc. I would use one of those just to guide you through a subject and introduce you to each topic. Then you can go to the library and get more books to go along with them. You can also find books with tons of science experiments (Mudpies to Magnets comes to mind), or little projects to go along with various history topics. Or you could just google ideas for supplemental activities. That's what I would do. You could use those encyclopedias in the way you mentioned, by maybe letting your kids choose which topic they want to study next. That way, you're choosing the overall subject, but you're also following their interests for specifics.

thanks for all your responses and info. it is really appreciated. i looked into them all and honestly i am now even more confused, lol. i have an idea of what i want to do and i am overwhelmed by all the info and methods etc. the one thing i do know is using workbooks every day is not teaching my kids. we move from one subject to the next in the books every day, with some review, and the kids do not remember what they did a week later. some thing yes, lots of things no. so i am wasting my time every day trying to get them to do all this work really for nothing if they are not learning it. thats why i like the idea of copywork, dictation, classic literature, memorizing poems, lving books etc. it seems stimulating and interesting and doing alot of repetition to help memorize things. building up confidence is also key.

I know that I left some links to this site on your other thread, but there is so much info here about the style of thing that I think you are looking for. I have found the site so helpful and inspiring.

http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/p/free-curriculum.html

Even though this is set out in grade levels, you wouldn't have to do it that way. It's more about the method and progression of skills than actually using a certain book in a certain year. Also, the links down the left have all sorts of ideas on how to apply the Charlotte Mason method to whatever books you choose to use.

HTH

If you want to do grammar, spelling, writing through literature, I think you should read more about Charlotte Mason's approach. That's pretty much how she advocated learning language arts and she has a lot of good ideas.

I agree. Either CM or Ruth Beechick's methods might be what you're looking for. Beechick has a book The Three R's (it is actually 3 little books in one, one on language, one on math, and one on reading) that explains how to teach these subjects without textbooks or workbooks. It's not very hard (I used her methods my first couple of years homeschooling), but it does take more work on your part, especially if you are teaching more than one child at once.

ETA: Just noticed the ages of your kids. The Three R's is for K-3. She has another book called You Can Teach Your Child Successfully which is for grades 4-8, is much thicker, and covers all subjects except foreign language, if I remember right.

Edited by Homemama2

thanks for all your responses and info. it is really appreciated. i looked into them all and honestly i am now even more confused, lol. i have an idea of what i want to do and i am overwhelmed by all the info and methods etc. the one thing i do know is using workbooks every day is not teaching my kids. we move from one subject to the next in the books every day, with some review, and the kids do not remember what they did a week later. some thing yes, lots of things no. so i am wasting my time every day trying to get them to do all this work really for nothing if they are not learning it. thats why i like the idea of copywork, dictation, classic literature, memorizing poems, lving books etc. it seems stimulating and interesting and doing alot of repetition to help memorize things. building up confidence is also key.

Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum is a very simple book. It is Catholic, but it is the easiest book I have seen for clarifying the how tos. It could be simply used to help you understand how to do it and then you build your own. (I am Catholic and I do not use her recommendations!)

There are other books I would recommend, but most of them are no longer available. (I was learning how to do this in 1994, way before the WTM was published.) This website might be helpful, (I only skimmed it) http://www.curriculumconnection.net/living%20books%20approach.htm

Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum is a very simple book. It is Catholic, but it is the easiest book I have seen for clarifying the how tos. It could be simply used to help you understand how to do it and then you build your own. (I am Catholic and I do not use her recommendations!)

I've been wanting to read this for months. I need to just buy it!

I also set up our own curriculum. I had a nervous breakdown thread here :D: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286345&highlight=considering+writing+my+own+curriculum

It's been going very well, BTW. We will be starting a new round of stuff in January. My kids are almost completely combined (except for math and LA).

I use a curriculum for LA, Math and Foreign Languages. For everything else, I draw up my own scope and sequence and piece together sources, spines, reading lists, projects, experiments, writing assignments, etc.

I also get input from my oldest two kids (10 yro and 9 yro). They seem to have very specific things that they are interested in (they are HUGE into science)...and I've pretty much tailored the entire curriculum to them. My 1st grader seems to like reading about history...so as she gets older, it will be interesting to see how I need to add her interests to our schoolday.

If you read The Well-Trained Mind, that will help you so much. She has booklists, spine recommendations, etc. I don't know how I would homeschool without that book. :001_wub: Also, another good read is The Latin-Centered Curriculum. That's a great book, too.

Also, I gather ideas from unschooling blogs. There is some good stuff out there.

disclaimer: Excuse my grammar this morning. I've been up since 3am and I'm just really tired. :D

I agree. Either CM or Ruth Beechick's methods might be what you're looking for. Beechick has a book The Three R's (it is actually 3 little books in one, one on language, one on math, and one on reading) that explains how to teach these subjects without textbooks or workbooks. It's not very hard (I used her methods my first couple of years homeschooling), but it does take more work on your part, especially if you are teaching more than one child at once.

ETA: Just noticed the ages of your kids. The Three R's is for K-3. She has another book called You Can Teach Your Child Successfully which is for grades 4-8, is much thicker, and covers all subjects except foreign language, if I remember right.

I actually saw that the other day and asked for it to be put on hold at the library. anxiously awaiting it!

I've been wanting to read this for months. I need to just buy it!

I also set up our own curriculum. I had a nervous breakdown thread here :D: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286345&highlight=considering+writing+my+own+curriculum

It's been going very well, BTW. We will be starting a new round of stuff in January. My kids are almost completely combined (except for math and LA).

I use a curriculum for LA, Math and Foreign Languages. For everything else, I draw up my own scope and sequence and piece together sources, spines, reading lists, projects, experiments, writing assignments, etc.

I also get input from my oldest two kids (10 yro and 9 yro). They seem to have very specific things that they are interested in (they are HUGE into science)...and I've pretty much tailored the entire curriculum to them. My 1st grader seems to like reading about history...so as she gets older, it will be interesting to see how I need to add her interests to our schoolday.

If you read The Well-Trained Mind, that will help you so much. She has booklists, spine recommendations, etc. I don't know how I would homeschool without that book. :001_wub: Also, another good read is The Latin-Centered Curriculum. That's a great book, too.

Also, I gather ideas from unschooling blogs. There is some good stuff out there.

disclaimer: Excuse my grammar this morning. I've been up since 3am and I'm just really tired. :D

good to know im not the only one! lol i have been going nuts! i will read this, thanks - btw, what did you end up doing for curric?

Well the first year I designed my own curriculum for science and history. I used a textbook for math. English was part of the science and history. What I did was choose what I wanted to study. In my case it was Texas History. I then camped out at the library and looked at the books they had. I picked one or two for a spine. I also did an internet search and found some cool books, spent time at used book stores, etc. I sketched out what I wanted to do when. I found some good copywork in each literature book I selected or historical quotes for them to copy. I had them make a notebook of Texas History. They copied things like our state song and good quotes from some of our leaders. They filled in charts about missions and battles. They wrote paragraphs about people and events as well. We visited places and took pictures and they wrote about it in their notebook. We don't have cable, but use Netflix A LOT. Whatever we are doing in history I search for history channel or A & E documentaries for us to watch.

For science, we studied the human body the first semester. Once again, I had them make a notebook. They made pages about what we studied. We worked it into our doctor appointments. One child had to have his tonsils out. At the eye appointment our doctor spent time with models. I checked out books on each part as we covered it. Once again, I used documentaries from our library or Netflix. We used The Body Book to make Hands on models. My dh is an orthoaedic surgeon so we borrowed some of his models. I also used Lyrical Life Science and the boys learned all the songs.

2nd semester we did Apologia Astronomy and also checked out tons of extra books and they made a power point about what they learned.

That was such a fun year schooling wise. Boys were 2nd and 4th. Not so fun personal wise but that is a long story. My poor daughter doesn't get to do any of those fun things...

In elementary school, with the exception of math, I think you can work on schoool the way I did above. Some people do a unit study combining everything into the study of one subject.

I hope that helps. Just pick a topic and explore.

Second semester.

It seems like most of the CM curric I am finding is very religious in content. My kids wont like that. For instance, I love the look of the Language Lessons at Queen Honmeschool, but in one sample they tell you to go read a certain passage from the bible as a part of the work.

I am having a hard time researching because my 2 little ones keep me super busy! I am feeling really frustrated. I think I want to focus on LA first, I have a good idea of what I want for math (looking into MUTL) and I have some history and science otw before I decide what to do for that. I am excited about science because I ordered Story of Science and I think it will be great.

Have you looked into Bravewriter/The Writer's Jungle? It is meant to give you the tools that you need to teach your kids language arts. You make your own schedule, pick your own books, etc.

Classical Writing was also originally meant to show the teacher the skills that the student needed to learn in a logical progression, but the teacher would pick the stories, books, etc. to use.

With either of these methods you could use your choice of books from science and history to teach the language arts skills.

good to know im not the only one! lol i have been going nuts! i will read this, thanks - btw, what did you end up doing for curric?

Our new semester starts in January. I'll try to give a quick summary. I'm trying to follow TWTM for the logic stage. I'm "teaching to the oldest kid" - if that makes any sense. Everybody else tags along at their own levels/interests.

Literature: I have a read-aloud booklist and a booklist for them to read on their own. We drew up this booklist based on their interests. I also plan to read through MCT's Lit Studies with them. We're going to discuss the books together and at the end of the book, they are going to write the short, (less than) one-page narrative summary (per TWTM).

World History: We're studying the Ancients. Little kids are going to listen to SOTW 1. Oldest kid is going to have supplemental reading related to the topic. Then, she'll work on the history writing (in WTM) - the outline, make a timeline, paragraph of chosen topic. I'll probably throw in some projects along the way.

US History: We basically read books that they're interested in. My kids are memorizing all the capitols right now (which they're actually enjoying). They have the American Revolution coloring book - which is fun.

Science: I gave a description of our science here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333087

Art: My kids do art like crazy. I'm going to buy The Collins Big Book of Art and just leave them to their own devices. :glare: They paint, sketch, make guidebooks of animals, scour the internet looking for pictures of macaws - whatever. LOL.

Foreign Languages: Latin Prep and my kids have been doing German for a year now.

Logic: I thought Red Herring Mysteries looked like fun. My kids like stuff like that.

Language Arts: mostly MCT LA, Classical Composition, Webster's Speller...but I like to pull other resources for stuff we've missed (like Intermediate Language Lessons - my son can't address an envelope to save his life :tongue_smilie:). My son also loves Galore Park English.

We use programs for math - Math Mammoth, Miquon, etc.

That's our semester in a nutshell. I really try to limit the amount of stuff I buy. We are constantly going to the library. Living books are awesome. :D

For language arts:

There are some interesting ideas here: http://www.design-your-homeschool.com/language-arts.html

The Sentence Family http://www.currclick.com/product_info.php?products_id=41915&it=1&filters=0_23500_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=141

Primary Language Lessons: I like this edition. http://rainbowresource.com/product/Primary+Language+Lessons+in+Color/045024/

Classical Writing Primer: http://www.classicalwriting.com/Primer.htm

I really like the Primer series, not so much the levels beyond that, though.

As to religious content, I tend to just skip those parts if it is overt. Occasionally, it is fine though. I think you are right that many of these resources do have some religious content. Although I generally use secular sources, I don't have issues with it if it does not dominate it.

Just thought of this one: http://www.ebeth.typepad.com/serendipity/language-and-literature.html

Also check out her "Alphabet Path" for your youngers. As a matter of fact, that's a great website for you to browse around--history, math, geography. She has a lot of wonderful ideas.

Since your time is limited by little ones, I would start with ONE area. I think you mentioned language arts.

You could pick some living books from one of the mentioned lists and start with oral narration. Have your little kids do copywork, the olders a Book of Mottoes and/or dictation as on Charlotte Mason Help, which was previously linked.

Or look at Bravewriter - they have several good, free articles on a writing lifestyle. They recommend starting here: http://www.bravewriter.com/bwl/poetry-teatimes/'>http://www.bravewriter.com/bwl/poetry-teatimes/'>http://www.bravewriter.com/bwl/poetry-teatimes/'>http://www.bravewriter.com/bwl/poetry-teatimes/ (full list here: http://www.bravewriter.com/bwl/ - several great ideas and all free)

After you start one area, try another (nature study, artist study / Book of Masterpieces, changing to living books for all your history, etc.)

thanks so much for all the help everyone!! i finally had some down time today to read through charlotte mason help and alot of what i read really made sense to me. i feel like i have found something i can work with! so i feel like i have a place to at least start. i am slowly trying to figure things out now and i feel better about it. all the info and links has been awesome :D

Could you mention the oop books for us used book addicts?

Not 8FillTheHeart here, but I've seen several recommendations for this one:

How to Write a Low-Cost/No-Cost Curriculum for Your Home-School Child

The approach is based on a scope and sequence (which the OP doesn't seem to want), but you can change these as needed.

Unfortunately, the book itself isn't low-cost. We got a copy earlier this year for $2 plus shipping, but the price has jumped up for some reason. :001_huh:

I agree with others. If you want it to be tailored to your kids interest and abilities but you don't want it to be workbook heavy then something like WTM and Ambleside (just ignore the religious stuff--I do--and I ignore Amblesides history selections too for the most part) would work great. I use Story of the World---which has an activity book but it's definitely not a workbook.

Basically what you're saying I think is that you want to be a relaxed---not quite unschooling---classical or Charlotte mason leaning homeschooler?

Some of us use workbook type programs. I do because my kiddo likes the feeling of completing them and it gives him structure. Knowing what's next etc.

But you can learn anything that a workbook type program covers with just living books and a notebook.

Oak Meadow may be something you would like. Or you could just consider workbook type books as a resource. Something to do orally or maybe pull out a page to reinforce something you're learning, instead of relying on it solely or expecting it completed in any particular order or grade level.

Edited by Walking-Iris

I agree with others. If you want it to be tailored to your kids interest and abilities but you don't want it to be workbook heavy then something like WTM and Ambleside (just ignore the religious stuff--I do--and I ignore Amblesides history selections too for the most part) would work great. I use Story of the World---which has an activity book but it's definitely not a workbook.

Basically what you're saying I think is that you want to be a relaxed---not quite unschooling---classical or Charlotte mason leaning homeschooler?

Some of us use workbook type programs. I do because my kiddo likes the feeling of completing them and it gives him structure. Knowing what's next etc.

But you can learn anything that a workbook type program covers with just living books and a notebook.

Oak Meadow may be something you would like. Or you could just consider workbook type books as a resource. Something to do orally or maybe pull out a page to reinforce something you're learning, instead of relying on it solely or expecting it completed in any particular order or grade level.

Yes - I need a more relaxed, yet still structured day. We have been using VIE for a few weeks and while its a great curric, I just dont feel that this kind of curric is working for my boys. Before that we did K12 curric and before that Easy Grammar. I would say they learned more with EG, but hated it. It seems like most grammar programs move you through each subject with little practice or review. So they arent really learning anything - just getting it long enough to do the pages in front of them. Days later they wouldnt even remember doing it. I like the idea of the CM gentle approach to LA because it seems like it might work better for them. I like how her approach really seems to incorporate all the aspects of LA together - right now we have 5 different books for LA! So I feel that it is a waste of time for all of us and very frustrating!

Here is a post I wrote on how I put together our history studies. It could easily be applied to any area of study.

http://missmoe-thesearethedaysofmylife.blogspot.com/2011/03/planning-your-own-curriculum.html

I've found that to start planning out a curriculum, I have to have clear goals. That is the hardest part for me, but once I have my goals in place the rest falls into place.