Menu

Philosophy for Kids?

We really enjoy Philosophy for Kids. We're still using it. I find the lessons are short and are great conversation starters. In fact, we use that aspect more than the actual lesson. It's a wonderful way to see what is really going on inside your child's head. It's also a great time to play devil's advocate and role play a little using differing what if's.

Most of the times we use the book it turns into a tangent filled conversation that lasts at least an hour.

Sounds like there's no prep involved at all, which would be a nice change around here. Is there any written work or assignments that go along?

It's a fun book. I pick it up here or there and we read a chapter and talk about it. I don't have time to go through formally at this point, but so far it's been fun.

We loved it. I noticed that the author has two other books out. One is The Examined Life: Advanced Philosophy for Kids and Philosophy for Teens: Questioning Life's Big Ideas. Has anyone used these?

I have The Examined Life. It takes some of the themes from Philosophy for Kids and expands them. While it says it's for grades 6-8, IMO it requires a higher level of thinking that average 6th to 8th graders don't have. The students have to be able to discuss existentialism, democracy, funetics, etc. and with some of the later chapters, I had to give them a deeper reading to understand where he was going. I think it would be usable if the parent sat down, read the chapter and then planned the lesson around the abilities of their child. I can't see Philosophy for Kids preparing a child to tackle The Examined Life. They would be familiar with the topics, but it would be a big jump with regard to the critical thinking skills required.

This year we are doing Philosophy for Kids and I'm having my dd read and discuss Sophie's World. I'm also going to get her to read part of Peter Kreeft's The Best Things in Life. That is a great philosophical book that exposes the reader to Socratic logic in a very fun way! Some of the chapter content is too mature for middle schoolers, but most of the book is accessible for them and really gets them thinking.