Menu

CPO Foundations of Physical Science

Have you used this? What edition did you use? I'm looking into this now for my son. I'm trying to save money and it looks like I can get the 2002 edition with a teacher's guide inexpensively. I can see samples of the 3rd edition online. Does anyone here have the 2002 edition? Is it full-color like the current edition here? Do the 2002 teacher's manuals have recommended literary suggestions like the 3rd edition?

Thanks!

I don't know anything about the 2nd edition, but Dd in 8th grade is using Foundations of Physical Science 3rd edition.

I would try to persuade you not to use the 3rd edition. We have run into many errors throughout the book... mostly in the chapter reviews and assessments. There are errors in the tests as well. It is as if the author/staff didn't try the problems and check the answers themselves!

I will say, the CPO staff I talked to were very helpful when I was researching for physical science. In no way do I want to speak badly about them. They were kind and very patient with me.

We are going to finish the year using the Foundations book. Part of the learning is to understand why an answer is wrong. Dh is a mechanical engineer, and he works with dd. He can explain concepts well.

I really, really wanted this book to work for us. It is a beautiful book! (If you like a lot of color.) It was also expensive... I bought the student/teacher books and the DVD.

I've never seen it, but you might want to look at Prentice Hall's Concepts of Physical Science. Kolbe has lesson plans for it. Seems like a well-organized physical science. Some don't like PH because the colorful pages are distracting to some students.

Also, BJU's physical science looks well planned... with the DVD. It would be expensive, but if it is like their 7th grade Life Science (which we used), it would be worth every penny.... if you like the teacher on DVD. (Mrs. Vick was wonderful in 7th grade.) You could ask BJU to send you a sample DVD. Life Science was very organized and open-and-go; plus, I didn't have to teach.

HTH

Thanks! It is great to hear from someone who used it. Were the errors found in presentation of concepts or in the answers to questions? I believe the 2002 edition is the first edition. Science-house.org seems to give CPO good reviews, but I don't know what editions they are reviewing.

Thanks! It is great to hear from someone who used it. Were the errors found in presentation of concepts or in the answers to questions? I believe the 2002 edition is the first edition. Science-house.org seems to give CPO good reviews, but I don't know what editions they are reviewing.

I would say the errors are mostly in the answers.

We're using CPO Physical Science 1st edition copyright 2007. Yikes, have we had errors in the teacher's edition answers. I've just quit counting. I guess I'd say the student text is OK. Some concepts are explained very well and others incompletely. My dd has had some frustrations with it because of that. What we have finally found works well, is to read the text together, discuss it, and take notes. That way I can add detail to what's not mentioned in the text and give more examples. Honestly, I almost wish we'd done something like earth & space science this year and just moved on to a chemistry course for 9th.

HTH,

Jennifer