Menu

Agave instead of Corn Syrup?

Corn syrup is different from HFCS....it's not as sweet. I'm not sure if it does different things in baking aside from being less sweet, but it's glucose instead of fructose, so not as sweet. I think, though I'm not sure, that if you subbed agave it'd be too sweet because agave syrup is full of fructose. That's why agave syrup doesn't spike your blood sugar as much; because fructose has less of an effect on blood sugar...but that doesn't make it good for you.

Be careful with agave! I used it for a while and I started having break through spotting between periods. I looked it up, and it seems that it can mess with cycles and even cause miscarriages in some people. Since I was not finished having children, I decided it was not worth the risk! As soon as I stopped using it, the spotting between cycles stopped. I was using it to make granola bars in place of using Corn syrup.

Here is a link to an article that talks about it some. http://www.vancouvernutritionist.com/blog/vancouver-nutritionist-dangers-of-agave/

There are others articles about it as well. I was pretty shocked when I figured it out. I never thought that it would do that!

I find that agave has a distinct flavor to my taste- which could be good or bad, depending on what you are making. I think I would use Brown Rice Syrup as a substitute for regular corn syrup for most holiday baking. It's usually right next to the agave in the store- and I find that it's usually a bit cheaper too.

If you do use the agave, report back and let us know how it goes!