Menu

Have You Heard of Elfie?

arghmatey

We will begin using Elfie philosophy for children in January. I'd like to hear your experiences with it, and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Hi,

I haven't used Elfie, but this year my 5th grader and I (along with another 5th grader) are using Nous (by the same company), and both girls are really enjoying it. I lucked out and found the teacher manual used really cheap. We honestly don't even use the student story book (not sure if Elfie is set up the same way or not, but I think it is). Every time I get out the book, they both cheer. :001_smile: Everyone gets comfy on the couch or floor, and then we use the teacher manual to spur our discussions. It's provided a framework for us to discuss some interesting topics while exploring both their thoughts/feelings as well as my own. I will definitely use it with my other 2 kids. If you can find a friend or two who would be interested in doing it with you it can really add to the conversations. Have fun!

I didn't like Elfie at all. I didn't like her negative self talk. Her constant disparaging of herself really got to me. I cannot imagine using that with small children. Why introduce the idea of such low self esteem and total lack of self confidence where it doesn't exist? A few pages into the book, and I was convinced that little girl needed professional help. I kept thinking the entire point of the book was to introduce young children to the idea that some people need a 'special person' to talk to, to help themselves feel better. I never finished reading the book, so maybe she does get a therapist at the end. She needed one.

And, FWIW, the exercises are all geared toward classroom situations. For some, that wouldn't matter at all. I didn't find it useful.

I looked into it at one time and got dissuaded by some comments that it was more geared for conventional class room use. I heard the situations the character goes through are school and school friend related. I didn't think that would be a fit for us. But if it's different, please let me know.:bigear:

Is there a website link?

Book?

Source?

What is it?

Here's a link from the company: http://cehs.montclair.edu/academic/iapc/Catalogue_Final.pdf

There are a sprinkling of threads on Google.

I learned of it through Angelicum.net, a Classical Catholic homeschool resource (but the philosophy selection is not Catholic, as far as I know).

Also, I found a thread on this board about it after posting this thread.

Hi,

I haven't used Elfie, but this year my 5th grader and I (along with another 5th grader) are using Nous (by the same company), and both girls are really enjoying it. I lucked out and found the teacher manual used really cheap. We honestly don't even use the student story book (not sure if Elfie is set up the same way or not, but I think it is). Every time I get out the book, they both cheer. :001_smile: Everyone gets comfy on the couch or floor, and then we use the teacher manual to spur our discussions. It's provided a framework for us to discuss some interesting topics while exploring both their thoughts/feelings as well as my own. I will definitely use it with my other 2 kids. If you can find a friend or two who would be interested in doing it with you it can really add to the conversations. Have fun!

Thank you for replying! I know my 5YO will love it, and we do have friends who will participate with us. I've read a lot of the manual now, and it is similar to how we discuss other subjects after reading selections (more of a tutor setup than a teacher / student).

That is a very valuable idea about not using the text at all, especially because of the depression issue the poster below you mentioned. I may or may not use it and also possibly edit the stories. I really appreciate you bringing that possibility to my attention.

Really, there are a ton of pages of learning materials that cover just about a ten-sentence selection, so I think this might be fine.

I didn't like Elfie at all. I didn't like her negative self talk. Her constant disparaging of herself really got to me. I cannot imagine using that with small children. Why introduce the idea of such low self esteem and total lack of self confidence where it doesn't exist? A few pages into the book, and I was convinced that little girl needed professional help. I kept thinking the entire point of the book was to introduce young children to the idea that some people need a 'special person' to talk to, to help themselves feel better. I never finished reading the book, so maybe she does get a therapist at the end. She needed one.

And, FWIW, the exercises are all geared toward classroom situations. For some, that wouldn't matter at all. I didn't find it useful.

Thank you for your reply. I agree about Elfie's issues. I need to discuss that with the other parents of the children who will participate with us.

Thank you for replying! I know my 5YO will love it, and we do have friends who will participate with us. I've read a lot of the manual now, and it is similar to how we discuss other subjects after reading selections (more of a tutor setup than a teacher / student).

That is a very valuable idea about not using the text at all, especially because of the depression issue the poster below you mentioned. I may or may not use it and also possibly edit the stories. I really appreciate you bringing that possibility to my attention.

Really, there are a ton of pages of learning materials that cover just about a ten-sentence selection, so I think this might be fine.

I would love to hear an update after a few months of use, as I have wondered about the material for the younger age groups. It has been such a great addition for my 10 year old, but I've been wishy-washy about whether or not I should spend the money on a lower level. I wish they had samples of their manuals, but I haven't seen any available. Anyway, good luck, and please do update later!