Menu

6th grade science, please share!

I am in a quandry about science. If you could share what you are using I would love some more ideas. I have some options but am not sure if I am going with it or not, it depends on a co-op class. I have Apologia Zoology 3, and Christian Kids Explore Biology. We have been with Calvert up to this point with lots of add ons.

Thanks!

We will be using Sonlight's Science 5 and BJU's Science 6. SL's 5 will be our main science this next year, and I will add in some of the BJU Science 6 chapters. We love BJU's science and prefer it, but I really like the focus of Sonlight's Science 5. The plan is to just add in a few choice BJU chapters to round everything out, and since I have both at my disposal, I can do that! :001_tt2: :D

We are on Year 2 (middle ages) Grade 6 so we will be using Apologia Astronomy for 18 weeks(or until finished) followed by Earth Science. I haven't decided on a resource for earth science. We will probably go with How the Earth Works and supplement with our 5th grade abeka and do lots of activities.

I'm interested in hearing everyone else's plans, I hope you get a lot of response.

*Lisa

We use Sonlight's science and love it! We used to use a variety of eclectic items, taking the favorites of this and that, but once we started using Sonlight's science program, we were hooked. After using their science for two years, we ended up switching completely to Sonlight, and now use their core program.

One of the things I like about Sonlight science is that they put most things in a Biblical perspective and are very good about teaching kids to look further on their own -- just because an "expert" writes a book doesn't mean his opinion is not slanted towards his own presuppositions. Also, my kids loved the idea that science actually proves many Christian beliefs, rather than contradicting them.

Lynda

We are doing Rainbow science. I'm really looking forward to it because it looks fun! I also like that it comes with the kit for all the experiments. Most of the stuff is common items, but I never seem to have it all together at the right time.

We're using SL Science 5 next year. I think we'll also work on RS4K Chemistry, which we did not get close to finishing this year as well. DD loved it, it just got sidelined by a cross country move. I also have a few "My Name Is Gene" (title?)resources that I downloaded for free from CurrClick (one this year, one last year). They actually look like fun, so I may add those in as well. I have a lot of plans to beef things up next year. I'm just praying that they actually happen!

Could you just use what you have? Use CKE Biology and Apol. Zoo 3. We like CKE Bio this past year (parts of it) and liked it. I've heard great things about Apol. Zoo 3. If you do both, you would just cut out the parts in CKE that overlap Apol. Zoo. 3.

If you wanted something non-Bio...CKE Earth and Space looks terrific. We're doing this at the end of next year and following up w/ Apol. Atronomy. HTH

Could you just use what you have? Use CKE Biology and Apol. Zoo 3. We like CKE Bio this past year (parts of it) and liked it. I've heard great things about Apol. Zoo 3. If you do both, you would just cut out the parts in CKE that overlap Apol. Zoo. 3.

If you wanted something non-Bio...CKE Earth and Space looks terrific. We're doing this at the end of next year and following up w/ Apol. Atronomy. HTH

I will probably end up doing this. If he gets in the co-op he will doing astronomy, but I would still add to it.

I have CKE for years :001_huh:, it may be time to use it!

Thanks!

We will be using Life Science Daybook for our group class with activities (free) from Ellen McHenry's site. We will use Lyrical Life Science and Cyber Ed Life Science (we get it for less through the homeschool buyers co-op site).

Last year we used Noeo for chemistry. I may get Ellen McHenry's, Elements program this year for review, so we don't loose our new found comfort with chemistry. It has lots of friendly looking games and the text seems like a warm way of reviewing the information. The Cyber Ed physical science and earth and space have been a hit with my auditory learner, but we have used them only as an independent study type supplement.

She still loves science... :001_smile: so, so far, so good! We always supplement with books and dvds, etc., too.

TFJ

quote=Tarheel Heather;281824]I am in a quandry about science. If you could share what you are using I would love some more ideas. I have some options but am not sure if I am going with it or not, it depends on a co-op class. I have Apologia Zoology 3, and Christian Kids Explore Biology. We have been with Calvert up to this point with lots of add ons.

Thanks!

We are using PASS Biology and PASS Marine Biology this year for 7th grade. I also use the appropriate Prentice Hall Science Explorer to go with that. We are also using Runkle for geography(I guess that counts as Earth Science but we call it geography) Last year we used the PASS Integrated Science book and some PH explorer books).

Elmeryl(with J12, C9, R7, L7)

BJU Science 6. We've done a variety of things over the past few years from Apologia Elementary to Singapore Science to winging it on our own. We've never been more excited about science than when we look at the BJU materials. Maybe it's because we haven't been consistent and my boys are aching to do more science or maybe because the text really looks THAT GOOD!

In any case, I felt it was time to start down a path of more formal science study in 6th grade and BJU was our first choice. We typically don't do much during the summer months (except swim and sweat) but my oldest wants to start science next week. That's always a good sign. :)

I am in a quandry about science. If you could share what you are using I would love some more ideas. I have some options but am not sure if I am going with it or not, it depends on a co-op class. I have Apologia Zoology 3, and Christian Kids Explore Biology. We have been with Calvert up to this point with lots of add ons.

Thanks!

For us Science is the one subject I have a very difficult time getting together and getting enthused about. For our upcoming year my 6th grader will be using k12's Earth Science program. Their middle school sequence is; Earth in 6th, Life in 7th and Physical in 8th. I'll supplement, mostly for my 4th grader with the Readers Digest books recommended in TWTM (How the Universe Works and How the Earth Works). If the Earth programs works well, I intend to stick with k12 for the entire sequence. This is a secular program.

For us Science is the one subject I have a very difficult time getting together and getting enthused about. For our upcoming year my 6th grader will be using k12's Earth Science program. Their middle school sequence is; Earth in 6th, Life in 7th and Physical in 8th. I'll supplement, mostly for my 4th grader with the Readers Digest books recommended in TWTM (How the Universe Works and How the Earth Works). If the Earth programs works well, I intend to stick with k12 for the entire sequence. This is a secular program.

I'm the opposite, I love science. I worked in a lab, loved microscopy. I would love to buy a scope similar to what I worked with. I wouldn't get anything done though. Oh well, off to go see what else I have stashed among the bookshelves.

Thanks everyone!:001_smile: