Menu

is there any kind of living LA?

faiths13

lol, I dont know if that is a weird question or not. The other night I was introduced to the concept of living math which got me excited. (my ods struggles with math) so I went to check out the living math yahoo group and found Math on the level. it looks perfect! i love the idea of living math and Im thinking there has got to be a way to do something like this with language arts. I saw a program awhile back Learning Language Arts Through Literature where a student would write down a passage that was dictated and then use that for spelling and grammar and writing (I cant use it because we have a charter and it has religious content) and that seems closer to a type of living LA than anything ive seen. I just love the idea of not doing workbooks constantly but having a way to learn in a new way...i dont know, maybe that wont work for LA?

ETA: I should add my oldest is 12 so I would need something either for a broad range of ages or at least that will work for an older dc.

Edited by faiths13

lol, I dont know if that is a weird question or not. The other night I was introduced to the concept of living math which got me excited. (my ods struggles with math) so I went to check out the living math yahoo group and found Math on the level. it looks perfect! i love the idea of living math and Im thinking there has got to be a way to do something like this with language arts. I saw a program awhile back Learning Language Arts Through Literature where a student would write down a passage that was dictated and then use that for spelling and grammar and writing (I cant use it because we have a charter and it has religious content) and that seems closer to a type of living LA than anything ive seen. I just love the idea of not doing workbooks constantly but having a way to learn in a new way...i dont know, maybe that wont work for LA?

I believe that it does work for LA. I have living proof in my own home ;) . The same concepts that are presented in LLATL can be done with any passage that you select - be it literature, history, or something else. You can use the passage for copywork, dictation (practicing the words for spelling), rewriting, etc. If you need a guide for grammar, you can have a grammar resource book and teach the concepts presented there through your dictations. Your kids can develop writing skills through written narrations of literature and history/science that they/you read.

My kids read, write narrations, do dictations for spelling development, copy poems and literature to practice their handwriting etc. I find it's a great way to learn and my older kids who have done years of written narrations etc are fluent and confident writers. I love it.

Here are some links that you might find helpful on how to use copywork, dictation and narration with any passages of language that you choose to use.

http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/2009/07/copywork.html

http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/2009/07/dictation.html

http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/2009/07/narration.html

HTH

Edited by LindaOz

We do MOTL and Living Math (and now adding Miquon) at our house. For Language Arts we do the BraveWriter Lifestyle and The Writer's Jungle. (If you get interested in WJ and think about buying, check Homeschool Buyers Co-op for a big discount.) She also has helps for copywork and dictation called The Arrow.

Also, check out things written by Ruth Beechick. The LLATL curriculum is based on her approach.

I am looking for a similar approach for history and science if anyone has ideas. :D

Edited by threeturn

What about the old books Primary Langauge Lessons and Intermediary Language Lessons by Emma Serl? The last one (ILL) is on free download from Google books. These use passages, picture studies, poems for use with dictation, narration, copywork, teaching grammar rules and teaching composition skills. They go from 2nd and 3rd in the first book, and 4th-6th in the second. I'm planning on using them and they come highly recommended by several curriculum companies, including My Father's World and Living Books Curriculum, the later which produces a workbook format for both of these. http://www.livingbookscurriculum.com/ Here's the link to the company and you can look through all their options. They might have more ideas for living history and science that you guys were looking for. I like their ideas a lot, and they are based on Charlotte Mason. And I don't think the books necessarily have outright religious content, just what was customary in that day and age when it was written.

Would MCT (Michael Clay Thompson) LA be considered a living LA approach?

Kim

oh good point! i didnt think about that. but where do you start with that? at the beginning of the series? Will these work for older kids who are in middle school?

Edited by faiths13

You might take a look at Ruth Heller's World of Language books such as Many Luscious Lollipops: A Book about Adjectives and Behind the Mask: A Book about Prepositions.

Or Brian P. Cleary's Words are Categorical series which includes books such as Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely: What Is An Adverb? and I And You And Don't Forget Who: What Is a Pronoun? (Words Are Categorical).

Note: I have some of the Words are Categorical books for sale here.

Regards,

Kareni

• 1 month later...