Menu

Can we talk window coverings?

We have lived here over 5 years and still no window coverings. We are in the woods and I do enjoy an open window, but I am beginning to think I should dress them up a bit. I'm sort of clueless to this whole thing. I've thought about wooden slat blinds, the puffier type of blind (can't think of the name) etc.

Do people have blinds AND curtains? If you have just blinds do you get an inside or an outside mount? What would be best for keeping drafts out?

Now, my MIL is coming and I am thinking of just getting a cheaper pull down shade for now in her room or maybe just hanging some fabic over a tension rod that I have. I guess that will solve the need for something to block the morning sun and to give her some privacy.

Still, what should I do with my windows after she leaves?

I, too, live on a wooded lot. My approach is minimalist. I love the view out of every room in my home so I aimed for as little as possible. Another motivation I had was the lack of desire to dust anything more than I have to! :-P In any case, I opted for the Hunter Douglas faux wood blinds in every window of the house (inside mount except for the french doors which are outside mount). To bring in color, I've used short valances in the bathrooms/breakfast area and narrow drape sections hanging at either end of the windows in all bedrooms and the formals (dining room/music room). I don't know what, if anything, I'll hang in the FROG (media room) or family room. We're still in the finishing phase of our house. ;-)

We have lived here over 5 years and still no window coverings. We are in the woods and I do enjoy an open window, but I am beginning to think I should dress them up a bit. I'm sort of clueless to this whole thing. I've thought about wooden slat blinds, the puffier type of blind (can't think of the name) etc.

Do people have blinds AND curtains? If you have just blinds do you get an inside or an outside mount? What would be best for keeping drafts out?

Now, my MIL is coming and I am thinking of just getting a cheaper pull down shade for now in her room or maybe just hanging some fabic over a tension rod that I have. I guess that will solve the need for something to block the morning sun and to give her some privacy.

Sure you can have blinds and curtains.:001_smile: Are we talking verticals or mini blinds? If you would like to keep the open, airy feel why not get some sheers or some lacy panels. Sheers come in many colors and they give the window a finished appearance without closing the room in.

Are you referring to plantation shutters? Because they are lovely and you can leave them alone or pair them with a bright cornice or valance.

I have a huge family room with those really long windows and I have tab top curtains on them. I also have one window along the back wall that opens to our backyard that has no window covering. So there really are no hard and fast rules, just depends on what you like.:001_smile:

Personally I am a curtain girl. We have mini blinds on most windows, and I am dusting them constantly. Now if you get the ones in the window. Perfect.

But in future unless I win lotto, I will purchase curtains.

Jeannette

Maybe you mean pleated shades like these? I'm not sure what the difference is between those and "honeycomb shades," but either might be what you're thinking of.

Do people have blinds AND curtains?

Sometimes they do. We have pleated shades and curtains on all our windows. The shades allow for privacy and some heat/cold insulating; the curtains add softness and beauty.

Often, windows with plantation shutters do not also have curtains, but they could, depending on their size, how the room is decorated, and so on.

If you have just blinds do you get an inside or an outside mount? What would be best for keeping drafts out?

I had Levolor miniblinds in my last house; they were mounted inside.

How many windows? How big? In which rooms?

I, too, like to keep the the windows as clear as possible. What about draping light-weight fabric around the windows? You can let the fabric touch the floor on both sides, or just on one side for a more informal look.

For rooms where you want occasional light blocking, I like mini-blinds or pleated shades topped with a vallance. When they're open they block less of the view and incoming light than balloon or Roman shades. And from experience, homes on wooded lot are dark in summer.

I've been busy with our company. I did just put up some lined fabric over a shower tension rod type thing and that served the purpose. Still I have to figure something out. None of our windows are covered.

In our main level we have 10 foot ceilings. The windows are white and the trim is 3" wide (stained a wine color). The windows go from 1.5 feet from the ceiling to 1.5 feet to the floor. They are doublehung with rectangular transoms. Floors are a number 3 maple so they have an interesting light/dark variation. We have a granite fireplace with a foor to ceiling surround/mantle with beadboard and heavy crown molding. My Dad made it for me and it is awesome. We have some traditional pieces but mostly have a transitional/comfortable look to our living room.

I never thought about sheers or plantation shades or the need to dust wooden slat blinds. I looked up what I described as puffy...roman shades.

So, anymore ideas after reading about my livingroom? Do any of you change things out with the seasons? I think I feel like something heavy/warm that would keep drafts out for the winter and something light/breezy for the summer.

Maybe by the time my kids grow up and get married I will have decided on window coverings! haha

Thanks everyone.

I still go by lined curtains. Pottery Barn has beautiful ones. I have 10 ft high windows. I put beautiful patterned curtains. They really make the room.

Since I have leather and dark wood furniture, it adds nice punch. I take color out of patterns for pillows and accesories.

Good luck,

Jeannette

Ah...the grief of the missing window treatments. I understand everything you said!:iagree: When you figure it out please let me know. I am very interested in the summery look and the warm (do we hear, "not so much fuel oil") insulated winter look. lol knowing I'm not alone.