Menu

Dh just called to say that he "had a baby"

He most certainly DID!!! I have birthed 6 babies and had 2 rounds of kidney stones. In the throes of either, I couldn't honestly say which is worse. Right now, 3 years removed from my last stone and 3.5+ years removed from my last birth, I can't say which is worse! :tongue_smilie: But 5 minutes!??!? Bah!

(The pain from my kidney stones had me throwing up and crying. I was pleading with ER staff to drug me, and I don't do that during labor! ;) )

My 17 yo gets kidney stones. The first time, she couldn't move and then she started shaking and throwing up. After several weeks of hoping the stone would pass, she had to have surgery. Women who have had both babies and kidney stones tell her that childbirth won't be a big deal for her. One time when same dd was in ER with asthma, I saw a guy on a gurney in tremendous pain. I asked the triage nurse, "heart attack or kidney stones?" It was kidney stones.

Edited by LizzyBee

(The pain from my kidney stones had me throwing up and crying. I was pleading with ER staff to drug me, and I don't do that during labor! ;) )

Me too. My pain with kidney stones was worse that labor with my youngest (48 hours unproductive). But I have had two c-sections, so I don't know how any of it compares to actual birth. I did not have any pain passing the stone, the pain was when it was moving from the kidney to the bladder.

Me too. My pain with kidney stones was worse that labor with my youngest (48 hours unproductive). But I have had two c-sections, so I don't know how any of it compares to actual birth. I did not have any pain passing the stone, the pain was when it was moving from the kidney to the bladder.

But see, I was in labor for 73 hours with ds14, the last 14 hours of which were spent throwing up. So for me, I'm not so sure that kidney stones would be worse. But I don't really want to have a kidney stone in order to find out.;)

But see, I was in labor for 73 hours with ds14, the last 14 hours of which were spent throwing up. So for me, I'm not so sure that kidney stones would be worse. But I don't really want to have a kidney stone in order to find out.;)

I just had 2 large kidney stones. It took a week of pain, lots of drugs, several x-rays, an ultrasound, and two long nights in the ER. The pain would get so bad that I couldn't speak. My doctor was almost at the point of doing a surgical procedure.

I always thought it a bit insulting when people would say that kidney stones were worse than childbirth...but after experiencing it, I would say that they can be.

My dh suffers from a lot of pain for various reasons (headaches, neck pain, bad knees), and he suffers in silence. For him to actually show pain means that he's in excruciating pain, because normally he hides it.

But when he got kidney stones, it dropped him to the ground, at work, in front of his coworkers. He was in some SERIOUS pain. He went into shock from it a couple of times. I have to admit, he looked like he was in much worse pain than my childbirths.

Your dh was lucky. He did NOT have the normal experience.

He most certainly DID!!! I have birthed 6 babies and had 2 rounds of kidney stones. In the throes of either, I couldn't honestly say which is worse. Right now, 3 years removed from my last stone and 3.5+ years removed from my last birth, I can't say which is worse! :tongue_smilie: But 5 minutes!??!? Bah!

I am with you. His 5 minute adventure isn't a normal kidney stone experience, but I have to say I would take birth over a kidney stone EVERY time. I have had 2 as well, both from the same kidney, and the last one I tried to convince the doctor to just remove the Kidney since I really only need one. That is how bad I knew it was going to be before it got better. Heck, give me a dirty spoon and I might remove my own Kidney if it happens again.

But you kiss your baby when it's born! I'm not sure anyone is so loving when that kidney stone makes its appearance on the scene.

He passed a kidney stone and felt some "burning". "It was like having a baby!" I cleared up that misconception really quickly.:glare: Besides, from what I've heard, he got off really lightly on the whole kidney stone experience itself since it was all over in about five minutes from the first pain to the passing.

Everytime I have a kidney stone I am reminded that my labor contractions were nothing like the stones. It is SO PAINFUL!!!! So really he did have a baby....in form of a stone. Believe me it is very painful. I am a Chronic kidney stone sufferer. It is worse than the real baby thing for me.

My last attack felt like I was sucker punched in my back while getting something out of the van at work and I dropped literally then crawled into my van and laid in fetal position shaking. I called my hubby to come pick me up and drive me home. I was shaking so bad and felt like I was going to throw up.

Holly

Edited by Holly IN

My SILs mother has 5 kids.

She honestly says she isn't sure what labor feels like because for her it was, "Oh look here comes the baby, ... Look baby is here".

I so dislike her. :glare:

I have a friend that experiences no pain in childbirth. The only way she knows she's in labor is that her water breaks. She feels the contractions, but they don't hurt. She also has very fast labors. Bizarre (and not quite fair). :tongue_smilie:

No personal experience with kidney stones, but I know the pain can be very, very bad.

I am with you. His 5 minute adventure isn't a normal kidney stone experience, but I have to say I would take birth over a kidney stone EVERY time. I have had 2 as well, both from the same kidney, and the last one I tried to convince the doctor to just remove the Kidney since I really only need one. That is how bad I knew it was going to be before it got better. Heck, give me a dirty spoon and I might remove my own Kidney if it happens again.

Oh this. This this this.

I've only had a stone once, earlier this year.

It was MUCH worse than labor. Much. Much much much.

But my ordeal lasted; I forget. Either 2 or 3 days. MUCH longer than my labors, I can tell you that.

Ugh. Kidney stones. Blech. Fuggetaboutit. Give me labor anytime.

The thing about kidney stones is, you never have anyone kibbitzing around saying that if you're a real woman, you will do this naturally, and embrace the glorious experience, and that it doesn't really hurt, that you're hurting yourself by being tense, and that if you would just RELAX already, it would not hurt at all but instead would be painless, not to be missed, and joyful. Nope. Not that. You get, "Oh, I'm so sorry! Here, have some drugs!"

The thing about kidney stones is, you never have anyone kibbitzing around saying that if you're a real woman, you will do this naturally, and embrace the glorious experience, and that it doesn't really hurt, that you're hurting yourself by being tense, and that if you would just RELAX already, it would not hurt at all but instead would be painless, not to be missed, and joyful. Nope. Not that. You get, "Oh, I'm so sorry! Here, have some drugs!"

:D

Everytime I have a kidney stone I am reminded that my labor contractions were nothing like the stones. It is SO PAINFUL!!!! So really he did have a baby....in form of a stone. Believe me it is very painful. I am a Chronic kidney stone sufferer. It is worse than the real baby thing for me.

My last attack felt like I was sucker punched in my back while getting something out of the van at work and I dropped literally then crawled into my van and laid in fetal position shaking. I called my hubby to come pick me up and drive me home. I was shaking so bad and felt like I was going to throw up.

Holly

Oh, most people "have a baby" in the form of a stone. His attack lasted for 5 minutes. He got off so easy! I'm wondering if it is because he's allergic to dairy and so he doesn't eat any.

But you kiss your baby when it's born! I'm not sure anyone is so loving when that kidney stone makes its appearance on the scene.

:iagree:

With labor, there is a known end when you will have your BABY - something to show for the whole thing! :) Something you actually wanted and like! (well, hopefully... :lol: )

With kidney stones, there is none of that. (I'm like one of the PPs, when I get a stone, it's BAD. A friend of mine was saying she had a kidney stone, but she was still on the phone talking and stuff... yeah, when I have one, I can't move, I'm throwing up, crying, sick as can be...and no matter WHAT I do, there is NO possible way to relieve the constant pain. I just don't move because I know that. :) I actually went to the doctor carrying a trash can to throw up in, wearing my pajama pants and a tshirt, and barely could even look at him or speak the entire time as I waited for him to write out my Rx. Several things I would never, EVER do. So yeah.... ;) )

And the 5 minute passing? :lol: I wish! :D