Menu

Pictures of our Make A Wish Trip

Here are a few pictures of my 16dd's Make A Wish Trip from last week. Her wish was to swim with the dolphins so we got a day at Discovery Cove. We also hit Sea World twice, Epcot, Animal Kingdom and saw the Medieval Times dinner show and Arabian Nights lunch show (where she got to ride one of the show horses at the end).

What fun!

She got to ride a Medieval Times horse!?! Cool! I'm used to hearing about swimming with the dolphins, but the horse thing is a new one on me. That's REALLY neat! :)

Actually she got to ride an Arabian from the Arabian Nights Dinner Show---similar to Medieval Times but with a Desert/Arabian theme. I like this show better as it is more about the horses. I just called there on our own before our trip and asked about special opportunities for her. We got that ride along with premium seating for all 5 of us for $100 when it would typically be $250+ without the ride.

Amazing pictures!

I really need to get my brain around this for my son, but so far I'm just not ready to deal with a make-a-wish trip.

Feel free to PM or email me about our experiences, etc. It is hard to think about for your child but not all kids are terminally ill and very sickly. Many have just had life threatening illnesses/conditions and qualify. It is just such a great experience for the kids and the whole family.

I know he definitely qualifies for a wish; he has Duchenne's muscular dystrophy. The last few years since the diagnosis have just been a blur of adjusting to our 'new normal' so this particular opportunity keeps getting pushed to the back of my brain. Now that he's in his wheelchair full time, our family is actually more mobile than we've been in years. I dreaded that chair and it has turned out to be quite a liberating piece of equipment. Who knew? :001_smile:

Sounds like now would be a great time to apply as it can take about a year to actually get the wish. December was PERFECT for going to Disney--at least the week we went as there was hardly anyone there.

I can understand about the chair being liberating. My mom is in a jazzy power chair full time. Even at Disney we had a manual chair for 16dd and 15dd to share as their mito issues cause them to fatigue quicker than other kids. It was also a great place to hang the backpack with water bottles, maps, etc.

I remember crying when I realized they qualified---both tears of joy that they could have something so special but also tears of sadness that they did have something that would qualify them.