Menu

s/o: Eating inexpensively and avoiding excess carbs?

Like many who responded in the other thread about feeding a family on $200/month we're in the same boat with regards to needing to avoid so many carbs. Dh and I are both at high risk of developing diabetes and we really need to be better about eliminating excess carbs while still eating on a budget.

Typically that means we eat meat and a veggie for dinner. For instance, we might have grilled chicken and broccoli for dinner. Last night we ate a veggie stir-fry with some tofu and a tiny bit of rice. Earlier in the week we had chicken and a small baked sweet potato.

Breakfasts are often some form of eggs. A soft cooked egg on top of one piece of whole-wheat toast is something that we have several mornings each week. Dh loves bagels with cream cheese and lox (a treat that we don't normally have because it's so expensive) so we just bought some everyseed bagels that are super thin, hopefully they're not too bad and close enough to the real thing.

So, we're not going totally low-carb/grain-free, but still making a conscious effort to at least greatly reduce the amount of carbs we eat.

If you have to eat similarly, what are some of your go-to meals? Things that are super simple? Ways to reduce your grocery costs? Maybe some meals that aren't so dependent on the usual meat + veggie formula?

:bigear:

I hope someone can answer this. I would also like to cut grocery bills without adding carbs to my menu. But, I would also like to keep up the amount of calorie so my dc are getting enough.

Is there a way to have a super low grocery bill without having carb fillers?

If I were doing this I would mentally scan the grocery for the least expensive low carb items... usually this is whole chickens, chicken legs/ thighs, eggs, frozen greens and any cheese/ butter/ green produce that happen to be on a great sale. I can sometimes get butter for $2 lb which is very cheap around here. Romaine is usually cheap here too. Eggplant is low carb but can be expensive. Carrots are "medium" on the carb scale, and usually cheap.

I would probably do frittatas for breakfast and lunch, chicken and greens for dinner, and would use the chicken bones for stock and have chicken soup available 24/7 in a crock pot.

We bought a counter top rotisserie a year ago-- best kitchen purchase ever! It was about $80 on amazon but I wish we'd bought the larger version. You can also use it for grilling veggies. So we have rotisserie chicken whenever we feel like it.

I would probably have beans even if trying to go low carb, they are so good for you and cheap. Obviously bread/ flour/ pasta/ starch veggies would be out.

Nuts are also kind of "medium" on the carb scale-- I would look for those on sale, sometimes they're cheaper at the drugstore.

Frozen tilapia is cheap too.

I eat alot of eggs and cheese. I buy cheese in bulk at Sam's (better price than Aldi or Kroger sales).

I do round out the menu for the kids with carbs to stretch the budget. We eat quesadillas frequently with the more expensive low carb tortillas for dh and me and the Aldi cheap ones for the kids.

We watch sales for meat and try to get the most for our $$$. I'm unwilling to eat high carb though. I'd eat alot of my savings if I tried to do that and I'd get fat.

For me the proteins are more expensive but it keeps my hunger and cravings at bay and saves me money on snacks and sweets I don't need.

Nuts are also low in carb. One cup of whole almonds has only 1 carb serving and 5 protein servings. And fat. :) When looking at the carb count for foods, one has to remember to subtract the fiber count. Eating a fat with your carb and protein will slow down the rate at which the sugar goes into your bloodstream. A handful of nuts can be a great way to help with blood sugar levels.

1/2 cup of most cooked beans has 1 carb serving and 1 protein serving, so they're actually a great protein resource. Chock full of fiber too. Beans are a major part of my weekly menus, and my blood sugar has done great with beans.

That is great. It raises our blood sugar so its out for us.

Holly IN

Nuts are also low in carb. One cup of whole almonds has only 1 carb serving and 5 protein servings. And fat. :) When looking at the carb count for foods, one has to remember to subtract the fiber count. Eating a fat with your carb and protein will slow down the rate at which the sugar goes into your bloodstream. A handful of nuts can be a great way to help with blood sugar levels.

That is exactly what we do as well. I rather have nuts over beans. It doesn't affect our blood sugar at all.

Holly

Eggs are cheap, we do that often for breakfast.

Also canned tuna and salmon can be bought on sale. I mix with tuna with an eg, some spices and shape into a patty and fry in skillet with 2 T oil for about 3 min each side

Tuna melt- Tuna, olil or mayo, veggies chopped up, pickles chopped up. grill on your thin bagels top with cheese

Our meals are mainly veggies + meat, so I don't have any new ideas for that. But I do buy veggies that are on sale. And meat when it is on sale. Chicken thighs are usually cheaper than breasts. Hamburger can be bought on sale. You can make spagetti and put it over spagettin squash intseat of noodles.

Don't forget if you are going the low carb route, you need to have more fat in your diet. The fat will fuel your body and fill you up. Avacadoes, veggies sauteed in butter or oil, fatty chunks of meat (which are also cheaper)

Like many who responded in the other thread about feeding a family on $200/month we're in the same boat with regards to needing to avoid so many carbs. Dh and I are both at high risk of developing diabetes and we really need to be better about eliminating excess carbs while still eating on a budget.

Typically that means we eat meat and a veggie for dinner. For instance, we might have grilled chicken and broccoli for dinner. Last night we ate a veggie stir-fry with some tofu and a tiny bit of rice. Earlier in the week we had chicken and a small baked sweet potato.

Breakfasts are often some form of eggs. A soft cooked egg on top of one piece of whole-wheat toast is something that we have several mornings each week. Dh loves bagels with cream cheese and lox (a treat that we don't normally have because it's so expensive) so we just bought some everyseed bagels that are super thin, hopefully they're not too bad and close enough to the real thing.

So, we're not going totally low-carb/grain-free, but still making a conscious effort to at least greatly reduce the amount of carbs we eat.

If you have to eat similarly, what are some of your go-to meals? Things that are super simple? Ways to reduce your grocery costs? Maybe some meals that aren't so dependent on the usual meat + veggie formula?

Soup is my solution to feeding my large family on a budget. We look for sales on whole chickens and then buy two. I roast them both with salt, pepper, and garlic powder on top at 400 for one hour or until done. We eat the meat and a veggie/whatever for the first dinner. The next day I strip the meat and put it aside for adding later. Then I simmer the bones, skin, and all the drippings in a big pan of water for 4-5 hours *minimum*. It will not make deeply seasoned thick brother otherwise, but this broth pulls the marrow and all the flavor and makes *the best* soup. I add very little seasoning because the broth is so full of flavor from the lengthy cook time.

Once the broth is done, I saute a whole bulb of garlic, and two onions in some oil and set aside. I cut up and add whatever veggies I like (carrots, celery, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and our favorite - cabbage) and toss it in to simmer. If I am adding beans I will have already cooked these in the crockpot overnight. I often add white beans to my soups for a "meatier" soup that fills us up. If I don't add beans, I will cook brown rice and add that (obviously you wouldn't if you don't want any grain, but I find that brown rice is nice and it doesn't suck up all the broth if you cook it outside the soup and add it in).

Once the veggies are done, I add in the sauteed garlic and onions as well as the leftover chicken I pulled off the bones before making the broth. I *never* cook the leftover chicken I pull off the bones in making the broth because it makes it all watery and gross and the bones do the broth making anyway.

Our favorite way to eat this is with a scoop of pesto or just blended fresh basil with a little olive oil dropped into the soup right before serving, but I have also just added the chopped up basil right before serving to the whole pot of soup. The basil just adds something fresh and delicious and changes the whole flavor. If you do not like basil, don't add it. :)

The other soup we do that last for a long time is lentil soup with sausage. I use two pounds of dry lentils and add two 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes or more if you like tomatoes - up to you as the flavor doesn't change. I then cover the lentils with at least by four inches of water and add enough beef bullion (Better Than Bullion is the best brand) maybe four tablespoons or so (you can always check the flavor later and add more if you like). If I am in a hurry I use garlic powder here - at least a tablespoon and 1/4 C dry onions. I let this cook for 45 minutes or so until the lentils are soft. Once they are I then add uncooked sausage (I use either breakfast sausage in link form, pulled apart or Italian sausage - whichever one you like the taste of better works). I pull this apart and drop it in. It cooks in the soup on simmer for another 20 or so minutes. I usually use at least 2-3 pounds of the sausage. This is a great make-a-soup-in-a-hurry kind of dinner. I like to add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to my bowl of lentil soup as I serve it or a scoop of sour cream, but these are entirely optional. :)

With both of these we usually make whole wheat biscuits or fresh bread, but obviously, that is optional. Sometimes I just serve the soup. Both are very filling and the quantity I detail here lasts for at least two dinners and some lunches for our family of seven.

HTH!

:001_smile:

Edited by Kate CA

I have ate completely grain free for periods of time before(years) and we are currently light on grain(but gluten, dairy and soy free). I have approached cutting costs in a few different ways, which I believe are the same strategies regardless of what you eat. As of now I've been doing massive pantry building(working on rounding out the 1 yr pantry) so costs are up, but do go back down here next month. I've done $200 month budgets for some months this year but of course that is with using the pantry as well.

As I mentioned on the other thread mine has been around $600-$700 currently with stocking up and we've also been buying little treats here and there!

Meat

The bigger grassfed producers often charge $5+++ per pound but I've paid as little as $2 per pound(take home). Last was $3.6 and I'm looking to buy some more soon from an Amish place at the same price. I usually have friends to go together with me to split a half or buy a whole half myself. When you consider the price is what you are paying for ground, roasts, and steaks it is a steal. When I cannot get 100% grassfed at a good deal then I buy locally produced that is grain finished. I've been buying pork from the Amish as well it is about $1.30 pd when bought 1/2 at a time. It takes a lot of asking around and networking though to find various producers. I always ask for soup bones, organs and fat as well. I render the lard and tallow to use for cooking.

My last option is to buy from the discount table at the grocery store butcher. It is usually cheaper than any loss leaders but that just requires an eye on the pricing.

I have bought chickens a years worth at a time for several years now from a friend that does grassfed. I get better pricing by putting a deposit, picking them up and bagging them myself, and sometimes help butcher myself as well. We have started raising rabbits to offset this cost but haven't been at it too long(9 mo or so).

Can you or anyone you know hunt? If you are in an area of people that hunt it doesn't hurt to ask around and see. I know some around here just like to kill for trophy hunting and don't want the meat. We have 70 lbs of deer meat in the freezer now that cost us $17 for a tag, 1 bullet, and the bags to freeze it. Of course there are start up costs but anyway it is an option for some.

ProduceCan you produce anything yourself? Container Gardens, Backyard Garden etc, Anyone that has fruit or nut trees you can harvest for free? U-pick farms in the summer time are not free but can be a good discount. Pecans are $10-$11 pd but I found someone locally selling them unshelled for a few dollars a pound. Dh's family has pecan and walnut trees both that they don't use. Different varieties of apples and pears will keep for months- I don't fruit as much but the kids do for snacks.

Not doing everything organic, buying in bulk, using a co-op or CSA all help lower prices.

There isn't a CSA around here but I get some awesome deals on produce from Azure co-op. Frozen organic green beans were about $8 for 5 pd(they've went up this month to about $10 but are still an awesome deal). They also have good deals on frozen peas and broccoli. I've bought seconds on fruits- organic apples for 50c a pd and oranges for less than $1 pd. Bulk cases of various squashes and such. Local farmer markets can have good deals as well. I shop Aldi's for other produce as well. I buy salad fixings, fresh broccoli, carrots, bananas and potatoes from there usually. I buy in bulk on things that keep when they are on sale.

Oils

I buy in SUPER bulk. I started out buying 1 gallons but now buy 5 gallon size of coconut oil(just bought some last night for $27 a gallon as Tropical Traditions was running free shipping for a day). As I said earlier I render tallow and lard from animals I buy. Previously I bought 5 gallons of Grassfed Tallow from US Wellness Meats and split it with a friend. It is only about $22 a gallon.

I buy olive oil and extra virgin olive oil from Sam's club and keep it in a dark cabinet. They have the best price, although I'm sure not the best quality.

Nuts and Seeds

I buy from Azure, Amazon, Aldi's, locally etc. Wherever I can get the best price for the purest nuts. I get sunflower seeds, raw pumpkin seeds and raw almonds from Azure right now. I have pecans from the Farmer's Market, when they run out I'll be going to gather some at my Uncle's house which has a tree he doesn't use. I've seen people advertise locally some for a good price as well, especially if you buy them unshelled.

Herbs, Spices, Herbal Teas Etc

I buy from Azure, Mt. Rose Herbs and Amazon in bulk. I have a cabinet full of bulk amounts in jars and a smaller pullout jars with smaller jars for everyday use.

Sweetners

I generally only use raw honey and maple syrup. Currently the cheapest raw honey I can get is through Azure. I buy 5 gallons at a time. Last year I found a local Maple Syrup producer and bought a few gallons for $60 each. However, this year he was not producing so I just ordered some from Amazon, right at the same price. Of course local honey is best but when it costs substanially more I cannot afford it. I am supposed to be getting some locally to use medicinally in smaller amounts but it is about $40 gallon(as opposed to $27 gallon). I'm sincerely hoping we can raise bees ourselves this coming year as we've wanted to for awhile but we will see.

Other things:

We stick to plain/non-exotic veggies for the most part. I shop for the pantry and don't generally buy special ingredients. I try to keep things on hand to make almost any meal. Keeping things stocked means I can watch prices and get it cheaper.

Main veggies here are green beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, romaine/spinach. Currently we are eating potatoes and sweet potatoes as well but I'm not currently trying to lose weight and have found a level of carbs that keeps me feeling good without being super strict.

Re: adding extra calories: FAT- !!!!

Fav Meals:

Spaghetti Soup- Ground beef with a homemade sauce and TONs of veggies added in- mushrooms, peppers, carrots, spinach, etc.

Meatloaf- I use egg and almond flour for binders, tomato paste and various spices- good served w/ green beans and mashed cauliflower

We did TONS of salads with hamburger salads after the baby was born. Hamburgers served w/ homeamde mayo, sauteed peppers, onions, mushrooms and then served over lettuce or grainfree wraps.

Grain-Free Wraps (Grain/Nut/Soy/DAiry Free)

1/3 c. veggie puree (liquid squeezed out- I used carrot- any veggie will do)

6 egg whites

4 egg yolks

1/2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt

Spices Optional: (I wanted the bread to have a bit more flavor to compliment the dish)

1/2-1 tsp. minced garlic

1/2 -1tsp. cumin

1/2-1 tsp. chili powder(I have a mix from Mt. Rose Herbs I use)

1/4 tsp. paprika

1/8-1/4 tsp. chipolte powder

1. Pre-heat oven to 300(F).

2. Beat egg whites until stiff with salt.

3. In separate bowl mix egg yolks with veggies and optional spices

4. Fold egg yolk mixture into beaten egg whites.

5. Spread onto a well-greased cookie sheet- should make around 9-12 rounds

6. Cook for 20-30 minutes- depending on how thin you make them- they are done when they just start to brown. You don't want them to dry out too much as they won't fold as easily for wraps..

Fav Breakfasts:

Scrambled Eggs mixed w/ sausage. (I have the butcher just grind the pork plain so I don't end up with MSG and season it myself). The kids like it all cooked together.

Once a week I do muffins(usually pumpkin) with either coconut or almond flour.

On the weekend I make apple pancakes( grate apples(about 7 for our family) and squeeze out the juice- the kids get this for a treat as I don't buy juice) add in eggs(beaten), almond flour(about 1/3 c), 1 T cinnamon and 1 t vanilla- mix and fry in coconut oil. Serve w/ maple syrup, raw honey or plain. These actually end up being pretty low carb as after squeezing out the juice you are just left w/ the pulp.

Fried Eggs, Homemade hashbrowns (or sauteed mixed veggies) and Bacon

Edited by soror

Here's my strategy, in a nutshell.

Egg-based breakfasts and for other meals, meat bought in bulk and/or on sale. You want to look for cheap chicken quarters, cheap roasts, tougher cuts of meat, and manager's specials (markdowns that are "use or freeze by today" sort of things). Buy dairy products the same way (on super sale or in bulk packaging) and invest in a deep freezer for those and the meat. Grow your own veggies or buy them on sale and freeze too. If you can't prep them yourself choose frozen over canned and wait for super sales. Your other investment would be a slow cooker for those tough cuts of meat.

We do eggs for breakfast, fried in real butter, omelets often. Or oatmeal with blueberries. I've also made zucchini fritters and cauliflower pancakes, both of which are low-carb and pack in good protein and fat without being too eggy.

Lunches/snacks -- soup, beans (yeah, high in carbs, but cheap, and with fiber and protein, less impact on us than bread), fruits, veggies, homemade bleu cheese dip, nuts (not cheap but a pound can last a while for us), cottage cheese, cheese, smoothies, zucchini (grilled and topped with goat cheese, when goat cheese is on sale), peanut butter on banana or apple slices. . . whatever we have around, based on whatever's on sale.

Dinners -- ground beef (meatloaf, burgers), stew beef (grass-fed stew beef and ground beef are pretty cheap around here), whole chickens, chicken breast only when on sale (and sparingly -- cut up in stir-fry dishes, rather than a whole breast), bean dishes (without the rice), frozen fish fillets when they're on sale. There's almost always a green veggie on the side, usually prepared with real butter or olive oil (if I saute green beans in EVOO, I toss in a handful of walnuts -- doesn't add too much cost but adds a lot of flavor and some good fat and protein too), and often a salad. Or sweet potatoes, sometimes winter squash. (In the summer, we do a lot of salads topped with grilled chicken or shrimp, plus a green vegetable.) Or soup.

Actually beans are high in carbs. ;) It is a no-no in a low carb world from what I read. Its cheap yes...

Holly

I know, but they are so good for you and so cheap, I personally would continue to eat them in moderation even if going low carb. Same for the occasional piece of fruit if I found it cheap-- so many health benefits.

Meat costs more than carbs, so do veggies. People don't need to fill up on meat and the typical person eats way too much protein to begin with. As an RN I have taken care of several people in the hospital who were seriously ill from high protein diets, specifically people who developed high levels of ammonia in the blood from their high protein diets. High protein diets can be stressful for the kidneys and liver, which sometimes then fail to eliminate the by-products of protein metabolism. Some of these, like increased salt, cause heart trouble. Increased ammonia in the blood can cause seizures and altered levels of consciousness, even brain damage. Further, most high protein diets are too high in fat, so be very careful to manage how much fat you take in if you plan to stick with a high meat diet. I haven't seen as much in print about the risks of high protein, and I think that is because of the popularity of those high protein diets. But they aren't really all that good for the over-forty crowd, if you happen to be in that category.

In your case (and mine)it is much better to fill up with veggies, but if you can't afford that then.....One way to have veggies at hand cheaply is to grow sprouts. I grow sprouts in canning jars covered with cheesecloth around my kitchen window. You can also look into indoor gardening. I don't have much luck with that because my cat loves to dig up my dirt, but I have grown salad things year round indoors including lettuce, spinach, carrots, and radishes. I have a couple friends who grow tomatoes and zucchini indoors year round as well. I need to grow more, and I can't afford to buy all of the veggies I would like to have.

Lastly, remember the only thing that makes carbs 'bad' is if you eat too much of them. If you can tolerate grains you can eat carbs in moderation without causing weight gain. Rather than avoid grains, a better idea would be to chose to eat grains in moderation using established portion sizes rather than to eat grains 'until full', this approach should not result in weight gain. And a little exercise would probably be helpful too. If you must 'eat til full', try to do that with veggies.

We do eat a lot of carbs here at my house, but the kids are skinny because they run them off. Kids can tolerate the breads and carby things as fillers, most of the time, as long as they get to run around. Some of the heaviest kids I have see got that way from fast food overload, not homemade bread overload. As for me, I don't move around as much, and I have some weight gain from the last few babies I haven't lost, and I'm pushing fifty. I'm just careful not to eat as much of the carbs as the kids do. I should eat even fewer, or move around more, I know, but I can say that not 'eating til full' is the best way not to end up overweight.

Edited by Rainefox

Since we went mostly grain-free due to allergies, I had to start rethinking our meals. My philosophy has become veggies plus meat instead of just meat+veggies-grain. I add inexpensive veggies every chance I get which means I go through a couple of pounds of carrots, onions, celery, beans, and winter squash every week.

A good thing to try is spaghetti squash. I get a large one, cut in half and scoop out the seeds, bake in a little water cut side down at 350 for an hour. When its done the top will have a little give. Take it out to cool for a little, then flip it over and scoop out the insides with a fork. It will yield a pasta-like vegetable that tastes good with a homemade meat sauce. It isn't very good to my veggie-loving tastes by itself. The leftovers don't get mushy and can be tossed into a fritatta where they disappear and add a little inexpensive veggie filler.

I use a lot of ground beef (mainly because one of the girls doesn't like the texture of beef). When I brown it, I add a whole onion and three or four stalks of celery to it. They've gotten used to it and it adds some veggie filler, nutrition, and it takes up space inexpensively. I will often add a can of beans for each pound of meat I cook to fill it out. Stretch the meat and add some nutrition. My brother used to make fun of me, but now he does it too.

Another question: how do you feel satisfied without a carbs as filler? Tonight dh made a lovely dinner of fish baked on a bed of asparagus with a smidge of butter, lemon pepper, lemon juice and herbs.

After two servings of fish and asparagus I still felt as though I'd just had a little appetizer and was waiting for the "real" dinner. I ate an apple. Still hungry. Handful of almonds with few chocolate chips and dried cherries mixed in. Still hungry...

Another question: how do you feel satisfied without a carbs as filler? Tonight dh made a lovely dinner of fish baked on a bed of asparagus with a smidge of butter, lemon pepper, lemon juice and herbs.

After two servings of fish and asparagus I still felt as though I'd just had a little appetizer and was waiting for the "real" dinner. I ate an apple. Still hungry. Handful of almonds with few chocolate chips and dried cherries mixed in. Still hungry...

Drink water. Eat some raw veggies. Honestly, your stomach will get used to smaller size meals if you keep doing what you are doing and you will feel fuller. Sometimes it helps to distract yourself from thinking about the whole thing too. I know the more I focus on changing my eating habits the more food I end up eating.

Eat slowly, and maybe up your good fat intake -- use a generous pat of butter, for instance. When I cook a 16-ounce bag of brussels sprouts, I use an entire stick of butter. But you do adapt too.

Think of low carb as really few grains/starches... the way you aren't hungry is by eating LOTS of veggies. My husband has a salad (roughly 2 cups worth of romaine & spinach with cut up veggies of your choice ... excluding corn, but you can include beans and nuts/seeds) We don't limit the dressings, either. We simply avoid ones high in sugar. DH likes Caesar, Vinegar-based dressings, even Ranch is doable!

Add a full serving of protein (we actually DOUBLE the recommended daily values for protein. I really do well with 90 grams per day), and he is FULL (a full serving would be 25-30 grams for us).

Don't forget the water.

A typical breakfast here is a 2 egg and 2 egg white scramble with turkey sausage, sauteed veggies, and a sprinkle of cheese (about 1/8 cup). This is consumed with apple wedges and a 1/2 c. of greek yogurt dip (greek yogurt, agave, a little xylitol, vanilla and cinnamon). Again... FULL.

A snack would be a Protein Smoothie (we use Jay Robb's Whey... it's sweetened with Stevia). I buy Vanilla and Strawberry. Various flavors. I make it with 1 c. Almond Milk (unsweeteend) and 1 c. WHOLE milk, and whatever whole fruits I want. Add a packet or two of Truvia, some ice and it's soo good This makes a LOT... again... FULL.

A typical summer dessert for us is either a Lemon-Lime Sorbet or a Strawberry-Lemon Sorbet. 1c. strawberries, 1/2 lemon, with some rind, 1 c. ice, 2 packets Truvia... and a HUGE bowl of yummy (but filling) late dessert. Of course, the VitaMix helps.

You really have to up your fats and your veggies on a low-carb diet. You won't make it otherwise.

I like the Belly Fat Cure system for counting... 15 grams of sugar and 120 grams of carbs. Most of your starchy carbs have a lot of sugar. 1 serving of carbs is 20 grams. So...at a meal, you keep to around 40 grams of carbs and 5 grams of sugar. I do better with about 30g. of sugar (from fruit/veggie/yogurt sources... try to limit other sources)

Low carb and low fat do not work. Your meal was virtually fat free, more butter, more fat. Also, if we have a light meal we might have a dessert that night, like coconut milk ice cream. I try to save treats for nights like that.

I have ate completely grain free for periods of time before(years) and we are currently light on grain(but gluten, dairy and soy free). I have approached cutting costs in a few different ways, which I believe are the same strategies regardless of what you eat. As of now I've been doing massive pantry building(working on rounding out the 1 yr pantry) so costs are up, but do go back down here next month. I've done $200 month budgets for some months this year but of course that is with using the pantry as well.

As I mentioned on the other thread mine has been around $600-$700 currently with stocking up and we've also been buying little treats here and there!

Meat

The bigger grassfed producers often charge $5+++ per pound but I've paid as little as $2 per pound(take home). Last was $3.6 and I'm looking to buy some more soon from an Amish place at the same price. I usually have friends to go together with me to split a half or buy a whole half myself. When you consider the price is what you are paying for ground, roasts, and steaks it is a steal. When I cannot get 100% grassfed at a good deal then I buy locally produced that is grain finished. I've been buying pork from the Amish as well it is about $1.30 pd when bought 1/2 at a time. It takes a lot of asking around and networking though to find various producers. I always ask for soup bones, organs and fat as well. I render the lard and tallow to use for cooking.

My last option is to buy from the discount table at the grocery store butcher. It is usually cheaper than any loss leaders but that just requires an eye on the pricing.

I have bought chickens a years worth at a time for several years now from a friend that does grassfed. I get better pricing by putting a deposit, picking them up and bagging them myself, and sometimes help butcher myself as well. We have started raising rabbits to offset this cost but haven't been at it too long(9 mo or so).

Can you or anyone you know hunt? If you are in an area of people that hunt it doesn't hurt to ask around and see. I know some around here just like to kill for trophy hunting and don't want the meat. We have 70 lbs of deer meat in the freezer now that cost us $17 for a tag, 1 bullet, and the bags to freeze it. Of course there are start up costs but anyway it is an option for some.

ProduceCan you produce anything yourself? Container Gardens, Backyard Garden etc, Anyone that has fruit or nut trees you can harvest for free? U-pick farms in the summer time are not free but can be a good discount. Pecans are $10-$11 pd but I found someone locally selling them unshelled for a few dollars a pound. Dh's family has pecan and walnut trees both that they don't use. Different varieties of apples and pears will keep for months- I don't fruit as much but the kids do for snacks.

Not doing everything organic, buying in bulk, using a co-op or CSA all help lower prices.

There isn't a CSA around here but I get some awesome deals on produce from Azure co-op. Frozen organic green beans were about $8 for 5 pd(they've went up this month to about $10 but are still an awesome deal). They also have good deals on frozen peas and broccoli. I've bought seconds on fruits- organic apples for 50c a pd and oranges for less than $1 pd. Bulk cases of various squashes and such. Local farmer markets can have good deals as well. I shop Aldi's for other produce as well. I buy salad fixings, fresh broccoli, carrots, bananas and potatoes from there usually. I buy in bulk on things that keep when they are on sale.

Oils

I buy in SUPER bulk. I started out buying 1 gallons but now buy 5 gallon size of coconut oil(just bought some last night for $27 a gallon as Tropical Traditions was running free shipping for a day). As I said earlier I render tallow and lard from animals I buy. Previously I bought 5 gallons of Grassfed Tallow from US Wellness Meats and split it with a friend. It is only about $22 a gallon.

I buy olive oil and extra virgin olive oil from Sam's club and keep it in a dark cabinet. They have the best price, although I'm sure not the best quality.

Nuts and Seeds

I buy from Azure, Amazon, Aldi's, locally etc. Wherever I can get the best price for the purest nuts. I get sunflower seeds, raw pumpkin seeds and raw almonds from Azure right now. I have pecans from the Farmer's Market, when they run out I'll be going to gather some at my Uncle's house which has a tree he doesn't use. I've seen people advertise locally some for a good price as well, especially if you buy them unshelled.

Herbs, Spices, Herbal Teas Etc

I buy from Azure, Mt. Rose Herbs and Amazon in bulk. I have a cabinet full of bulk amounts in jars and a smaller pullout jars with smaller jars for everyday use.

Sweetners

I generally only use raw honey and maple syrup. Currently the cheapest raw honey I can get is through Azure. I buy 5 gallons at a time. Last year I found a local Maple Syrup producer and bought a few gallons for $60 each. However, this year he was not producing so I just ordered some from Amazon, right at the same price. Of course local honey is best but when it costs substanially more I cannot afford it. I am supposed to be getting some locally to use medicinally in smaller amounts but it is about $40 gallon(as opposed to $27 gallon). I'm sincerely hoping we can raise bees ourselves this coming year as we've wanted to for awhile but we will see.

Other things:

We stick to plain/non-exotic veggies for the most part. I shop for the pantry and don't generally buy special ingredients. I try to keep things on hand to make almost any meal. Keeping things stocked means I can watch prices and get it cheaper.

Main veggies here are green beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, romaine/spinach. Currently we are eating potatoes and sweet potatoes as well but I'm not currently trying to lose weight and have found a level of carbs that keeps me feeling good without being super strict.

Re: adding extra calories: FAT- !!!!

Fav Meals:

Spaghetti Soup- Ground beef with a homemade sauce and TONs of veggies added in- mushrooms, peppers, carrots, spinach, etc.

Meatloaf- I use egg and almond flour for binders, tomato paste and various spices- good served w/ green beans and mashed cauliflower

We did TONS of salads with hamburger salads after the baby was born. Hamburgers served w/ homeamde mayo, sauteed peppers, onions, mushrooms and then served over lettuce or grainfree wraps.

Grain-Free Wraps (Grain/Nut/Soy/DAiry Free)

1/3 c. veggie puree (liquid squeezed out- I used carrot- any veggie will do)

6 egg whites

4 egg yolks

1/2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt

Spices Optional: (I wanted the bread to have a bit more flavor to compliment the dish)

1/2-1 tsp. minced garlic

1/2 -1tsp. cumin

1/2-1 tsp. chili powder(I have a mix from Mt. Rose Herbs I use)

1/4 tsp. paprika

1/8-1/4 tsp. chipolte powder

1. Pre-heat oven to 300(F).

2. Beat egg whites until stiff with salt.

3. In separate bowl mix egg yolks with veggies and optional spices

4. Fold egg yolk mixture into beaten egg whites.

5. Spread onto a well-greased cookie sheet- should make around 9-12 rounds

6. Cook for 20-30 minutes- depending on how thin you make them- they are done when they just start to brown. You don't want them to dry out too much as they won't fold as easily for wraps..

Fav Breakfasts:

Scrambled Eggs mixed w/ sausage. (I have the butcher just grind the pork plain so I don't end up with MSG and season it myself). The kids like it all cooked together.

Once a week I do muffins(usually pumpkin) with either coconut or almond flour.

On the weekend I make apple pancakes( grate apples(about 7 for our family) and squeeze out the juice- the kids get this for a treat as I don't buy juice) add in eggs(beaten), almond flour(about 1/3 c), 1 T cinnamon and 1 t vanilla- mix and fry in coconut oil. Serve w/ maple syrup, raw honey or plain. These actually end up being pretty low carb as after squeezing out the juice you are just left w/ the pulp.

Fried Eggs, Homemade hashbrowns (or sauteed mixed veggies) and Bacon

This is how I've always wanted to eat!

Another question: how do you feel satisfied without a carbs as filler?

Falling insulin is what makes you hungry, and carbs raise insulin levels, so once you have been on low carb for a while, especially really low carb, its possible to be satisfied on A LOT less. I used to eat oatmeal at 7 am and be ravenous by 10 am. Now I can eat 3 small breakfast sausage and be fine until noon. When I do get hungry its a very gradual thing, not the kind of sharp weird blood sugar issues I used to get. I would increase the fat, cut out stuff like apples and chocolate chips even in small amounts (for now), eat slowly, drink water, and I will bet your body will adjust.

As for saving money we use Costco for eggs, butter, cheese, fish, and a lot of our meat. DH does an omelet every day for breakfast with 3 eggs plus whatever leftovers he can scrounge. 60 eggs are about $7-8 at Costco now so that's breakfast for a few weeks for him and DS (I can't eat eggs). We also have a grass fed beef co-op and I keep an eye on sales. Stir frys are great and crockpots can let you cook a lot of the cheaper cuts of meats easily.

We don't really have to buy snack food anymore which helps. Cheese, olives, and veggies with hummus make up most of our snacks and we just eat a lot less of it that we used to.

Guest submarines
Falling insulin is what makes you hungry, and carbs raise insulin levels, so once you have been on low carb for a while, especially really low carb, its possible to be satisfied on A LOT less. I used to eat oatmeal at 7 am and be ravenous by 10 am. Now I can eat 3 small breakfast sausage and be fine until noon. When I do get hungry its a very gradual thing, not the kind of sharp weird blood sugar issues I used to get. I would increase the fat, cut out stuff like apples and chocolate chips even in small amounts (for now), eat slowly, drink water, and I will bet your body will adjust.

:iagree:Especially to the bolded. The less carbs I eat, the more I'm satisfied with smaller portions of proteins + veggies. I even periodically skip fruits, and focus on veggies, because my portions then become even smaller, I feel great, never hungry, and lose weight. :D

:iagree:Especially to the bolded. The less carbs I eat, the more I'm satisfied with smaller portions of proteins + veggies. I even periodically skip fruits, and focus on veggies, because my portions then become even smaller, I feel great, never hungry, and lose weight. :D

Ditto!! Same here. When people at work see what I bring for my dinner they are shocked that I am full after such a little dish I bought in. They ask me how and I tell them low carb. They didn't believe me. They said the carbs are what fills you up not protien and veggies. LOL!! I am sitting at the table with them and they are shocked by a piece of meat and a small salad then that is it for me. :)

Holly