Menu

Are you cooking Christmas Eve dinner? If so, what are you cooking?

I'm curious as to what others are doing --

we are going to early Christmas Eve Mass (4pm) christmas_gifs_01.gif and I cannot decide if we should go out to dinner (which will involve selecting a restaurant and making reservations) or if I should cook (I was thinking of something simple like pasta and clam sauce OR a seafood risotto)-- something simple b/c the Christmas turkey recipe is sort of labor intensive.

So, what are you all doing? :confused: TIA

Chili and baked potatoes.

Veggie tray with yummy dips.

Possibly a vegetarian soup for the veggies coming to visit, but depends on when they will arrive.

And, of course, there will be Christmas cookies - lots of them. :D

My Christmas Eve menu came straight from ... The WTM boards! (Thank you!)

We will have a meal earlier in the day with family, then a late service that night. Since we will be rushing from the family party home to get ready for service, I think I will be doing the cold cuts and veggie trays with dips and christmas cookies laid out too. It will feel festive, but not be much work.

In years past I have done chili and cornbread in the crockpot too, but I think we will have turkey and all the fixings that day, then the next on Christmas at home. So nothing heavy Christmas Eve night.

Our Christmas Eve tradition is a smorgasbord composed of some or all of the following:

summer sausage, cheese, crackers

crescent dough wrapped Little Smokies

bacon wrapped Little Smokies (sprinkled with brown sugar, baked at 350 for 45 min.)

shrimp cocktail

cheeseball

fresh veggies

Cuties clementines

olives, pickles

sparkling cider

cookies

Everything can be prepared ahead except the dough-wrapped Smokies which take about 20 minutes to wrap and cook. The bacon-wrapped ones can be pre-wrapped then baked for 45 min.

Edited by AndyJoy

Christmas Eve?

7 fishes! You sure you're from Jersey? ;)

Oh, yes, I am from NJ -- I have 56 years of Christmas memories (fond ones) of frying fish, soaking fish, clogging up the garbage disposal with discards from cleaning shrimp, baccala, calamari, clam sauce -

but, it's just us down here in Va., so we would do one or two fishes, but not 7, I fear.

One year, we did this amazing Pasta with Walnuts --

Yes, Italian; Yes, from NJ; No - not all seven fishes this year. I'm sorry -- please don't take away my Bruce Springsteen Fan Club Card.:crying:

We're going to my sister's and she's making a ham. She won't be cooking on Christmas Day. I'm making a turkey dinner on Christmas Day and just need to bring the salad and rolls for Christmas Eve. Since you have church at 4 and will be cooking the next day, I vote for going out to dinner. At least, that's what I would want to do.

We used to go out to dinner on Christmas Eve, but the restaurants were so crowded and noisy. For a few years we used to order a ton of chinese food to eat at home with the in-laws. Once my son was born, we started staying home and having a bunch of appetizers. We used to spread a blanket out on the floor and make a picnic out of it. Nowadays, we go to the special needs mass at 5:30, and have a bunch of appetizers after. My in-laws go to an earlier childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s mass with my sil and her kids, and have a full sit down dinner here. They are upstairs, and we are downstairs in our basement rec room. We visit up there, and they visit down here. Usually all the kids end up down by us so that they can eat what they want out of view of my sil and bil. I think my in-laws canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t wait for them to leave so that they can enjoy the quiet with us.:D

We're doing potluck small plates/appetizers. So far I know someone is bringing little mini sandwich rollups and mini eclairs. We are doing pita and yogurt dip, my parents are bringing Coconut Cream Pie. I have to work so dh is more in charge. I think he's also going to do grilled veggies and I'm not sure what else.

Appetizers! Finger Foods! Whichever you want to call it :D Gluten Free family here.

• Sausage Balls
  • Ham Rolls
  • Flat Bread & Hummus
  • Veggie Tray with Dip
  • Cheese & Crackers
  • Fruit Tray
  • Deviled Eggs

I will also have a cherry pie/crisp for dessert out for everyone. (Not sure if I'm doing a pie or crisp yet..depends on how my pie crust turns out)

We too munch on leftovers from this finger food meal on Christmas day while our main meal cooks.

Edited by mamaofblessings

We do finger foods/appetizers.

It varies by year and what we feel like doing (it's just us~~ no family nearby), so I usually ask for ideas.

So far this year I'm planning crab-stuffed mushrooms, cheese & cracker tray, olives, and a veggie tray... I'll add some fruit, too, if I can find some nice grapes to go with. Yes, if I have a fruit tray, it must have grapes, or no fruit tray.

I am thinking about adding some cheddar shrimp nachos, mini quiches (Nancy's store-bought), little smokies in a blanket, or a meat tray. I can't think of anything else yet.

I know dessert is Chocolate Mocha Tartlets (the kids would kill me if I didn't make these), and assorted (store-bought) European cookies (big tin from Costco).

We pretty much munch on and off for several hours as we play board games together, so I like things that take little to no work and that can 'keep'. Any left overs will be munched on Christmas Day while the 'big meal' is cooking.

Edited by Heather in AL
To corect a recipe name

Chili and baked potatoes.

Veggie tray with yummy dips.

Possibly a vegetarian soup for the veggies coming to visit, but depends on when they will arrive.

And, of course, there will be Christmas cookies - lots of them. :D

My Christmas Eve menu came straight from ... The WTM boards! (Thank you!)

You have veggies coming to visit? How did you DO that? We want some veggies to visit US! :D

but, it's just us down here in Va., so we would do one or two fishes, but not 7, I fear.

Yes, Italian; Yes, from NJ; No - not all seven fishes this year. I'm sorry -- please don't take away my Bruce Springsteen Fan Club Card.:crying:

OK, ok. So to technically comply, can you put some pictures of fish on the table, say 5 of them, and then cook 2 for dinner? :tongue_smilie: I have a really good Saffron Orzo with shrimp & scallops that's easy to make...

Christmas Eve is typically when we have our big family event. The menu has not varied once in over 20 yrs....steak, baked potatoes, green beans, salad, rolls. An ice cream/cake/crumble/toffee kind of dessert that is simply known as "dessert." Appetizers always (ALWAYS) include shrimp cocktail and artichoke dip.

Mass is at 5pm for us, so this year I am doing White Bean Chicken Chili in the crockpot so it is ready when we get home. We'll also have toppings like tortilla chips, salsa, sour cream, and cheese and a salad. Christmas cookies for dessert.

I was planning to make a lasagna soup, but then we decided to go to MILs house so that she wouldn't have to come over here two days in a row. So soup is not good at her house eating on our laps. I think now the plan is to make late afternoon appetizers and watch a movie and then head to church at 6pm. My kids LOVE an appetizer dinner. Deviled eggs, salami and herb cheese, mini-egg rolls, jalepeno artichoke dip with chips, little smokies in BBQ sauce, maybe a mini pizza or two.

Well, our Christmas Eve will be very very busy!! We will get up and open gifts then I have to cook stuff to take to in laws for their Christmas. Then go straight to our church (we do not go to same church as in laws) for Christmas Eve service. That means we will have breakfasst and lunch but probably not dinner. That is packed for us and I am stressing out over since we have to go to my mom's Christmas day and I have a bunch of food to make for them. sigh!!

Christmas eve: I am bringing a salad and paleo friendly cookies. Hubby wants us to try to bring a meat thing. Not sure what at this point.

Holly

Mass is at 5pm for us, so this year I am doing White Bean Chicken Chili in the crockpot so it is ready when we get home. We'll also have toppings like tortilla chips, salsa, sour cream, and cheese and a salad. Christmas cookies for dessert.

Mmm, chili AFTER mass sounds so good. I'm just concerned about whether sandwiches earlier would be enough to hold my little one who is always wanting to eat. She's going to have a mic on this year for choir, and I can see her stage whispering that she's hungry at some inopportune moment (like right before communion).

At least we're not doing the main church mass -- there are actually three all at the same time -- in the church, in the auditorium and ours in the activity center. Since we only have 2 priests, I think that we may be getting the 'borrowed' priest -- usually one of the two elderly retired pastors.

Oh, and we are going to 7pm service where my daughters are singing (traditional) but the youngest also wants to go to the 11pm service (jazz) so maybe I will take her. We will eat before service- probably at 5pm which is very early for us since we normally eat at 7 at the earliest and more usually around 8 and sometimes even at 9om. It comes from having a husband who works 12 hour days.

OK, ok. So to technically comply, can you put some pictures of fish on the table, say 5 of them, and then cook 2 for dinner? :tongue_smilie: I have a really good Saffron Orzo with shrimp & scallops that's easy to make...

Send recipe please. I will have the kids do the fish pictures.:lol:

please post it here!!! That sounds YUMMY!!!

We will be having seafood chowder with rolls. Home made rolls if all the baking these next few days doesn't kill me. :tongue_smilie:

My kids are little and hyper hyper hyper that Christmas is almost here. :willy_nilly:

So while I dream of days where I get to plan an awesome menu, my goal is more to get through the day having fun together and not lose my mind. :lol:

My inlaws are coming to wreck - I mean, have ;) - Christmas Eve brunch with us. I'm planning homemade cinnamon rolls (prepped the day before), a fruit platter (from the store), and lots and lots and lots of coffee. Mine might have whisky in it.

After my FIL gets the kids completely nuts, my MIL gets her fill of needling me with her passive-aggressive 'conversation', and my husband has started wondering why we let them come over, they will go home and we...

...are going to the ZOO!

Seriously. I figure outdoors and lots of room to run around and get tired is PERFECT. They won't be wrecking the house with the rowdiness, they'll love it, and when it's time to go to bed that night they'll be TIRED. Really, I think it's my best holiday idea ever. LOL.

I'm going to make a Christmas-themed scavenger hunt they can do as they run around, and bring treats to eat as we go. We'll leave when they close around dinnertime and the kids will have a packed dinner in the car (I'm thinking ham sandwiches, which since I NEVER buy lunchmeat will thrill them immeasurably). Then we'll hit a drive through for hot-chocolate and drive to an awesome neighborhood I found with lots of Christmas lights to look at.

Go home, snack, jammies, a couple of Christmas books and it's BEDTIME! Woohoo!

I guess the short answer to your question would have been: No. I'm not cookin' for ANYBODY Christmas Eve. :tongue_smilie:

My children are volunteering Christmas Eve so I am making Crockpot Cranberry Roast with egg noodles and a salad:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-cranberry-roast/detail.aspx

Christmas day it will be just our immediate family so we are making California rolls, a la Pioneer Woman:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/?s=sushi+101

I do love the Pioneer Woman's menu from her Christmas special. The kids are wanting me to make the duchess potatoes. :) They are asking for me to do an exact replica of her menu....(have to be minus the carbs however I will do the potatoes for them if I had the time....may have to wait till Monday since I am off 3 days from work next week.

Holly

Guest Ana Braga-Henebry

I use an old recipe from my Portuguese side of the family for little bacalhau cakes (salt cod). They are deep fried in olive oil and it is a soft batter based on cooked potatoes, flour, egg and lots of parsley. Great on white rice, with a side of garden-grown broccoli in white sauce and fresh bread. We will eat at around 7 pm and play board games before setting off for midnight mass!

Am I cooking? YES, or we don't eat! :lol:

I wanted something last year I've never prepared before and decided on standing rib roast. I posted on the best way to prepare this and received several responses.

Standing Rib roast

Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes

Green Bean OR Broccoli casserole

Lettuce Salad (this is a meal in itself)

Multi-Grain rolls w/honey-cinammon butter

Waldorf Salad (probably)

Homemade Pumpkin Pie

OR, my alterative -

Standing Rib roast

Roasted new potatoes, carrots, celery

Lettuce

Rolls

Waldorf Salad

We are home alone on Christmas eve, but my parents might stop over for a few hours. I think I'm going to make a big pot of spaghetti and meatballs and have stuff on hand for a "good" salad (feta, etc.). I also have 5 kinds of cookies and have a couple more kinds to make.

We've done fondue on x-mas eve and I love that. But considering we're going both to my inlaws and my parents on Christmas day to keep the masses happy :glare:, I'm just not up for that level of work.

On Christmas day, I'm sure MIL will be making a cheap ham and alot of blah sides from a can. I was asked to bring a salad, but my choices are very limited if I actually want any of them to eat it. I do not enjoy dining with DH's family. My mom is having a standing rib roast with asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes, so I'll be saving my appetite for that meal. :D