Menu

Blessing bags....

Cool idea! We were just talking about this very thing today. We're going to get some Arby's, McDonald's, etc. coupon books or gift cards (whatever they do now) and keep those in the car to hand to them. You are correct in that I do NOT want to hand them money.

Coupons for fast food places are tickets into a warm place where they are allowed to stay a while as long as they buy something. Otherwise, many restaurants won't let them come inside. Here, these sorts of places are open earlier in the morning, before the downtown library and other hang out places open up. So these types of things are really important to them in winter, as they provide entre to warmth in the early morning hours when it is often coldest....

I'm thinking now that having some of these sorts of kits on hand would go a long way, too.... Thanks!

Our young adults group at church was all excited about putting together something like this, but a local organization who works with the homeless discouraged them. My understanding is that they said it was better to direct people who are homeless to organized care, like homeless shelters where they could get more holistic help. What often happens is that the items in the bags get bartered or sold for items you'd probably not be happy giving, like cigs or alcohol.

Our young adults group at church was all excited about putting together something like this, but a local organization who works with the homeless discouraged them. My understanding is that they said it was better to direct people who are homeless to organized care, like homeless shelters where they could get more holistic help. What often happens is that the items in the bags get bartered or sold for items you'd probably not be happy giving, like cigs or alcohol.

I have received the same advice from someone who works with the homeless too.