Menu

opinion for elementary reading/English curriculum

sadiegirl

My husband's co-worker and his wife have recently began homeschooling their daughter. She is early elementary age. His wife is wanting me to recommend curriculum for learning English, reading comprehension through literature. She has her teaching degree and she substituted at the elementary school before she starting homeschooling. Her husband told me that she did not want to use "basal" readers...a term I don't know!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know how old the girl is or what her reading level is like, but Galore Park's Junior English book 1 is made for age 7 and up, and requires a 3rd to 4th grade reading level. We don't really have a reading comprehension curriculum, and I don't think most people here will, since it seems to be a public school convention. Maybe LLATL?

I'm sorry that I don't know her level/grade.

When my kids were in elementary, we used "How to Read in 100 Easy Lessons", Wordly Wise and in Easy Grammar in upper elementary. I am thinking that she wants to go with more of a literature approach and not textbook/workbooks like they have in school.

We love English by Rod and Staff. It starts in grade 2 and goes through grade 10 (it reaches college level English at the end of grade 10).

For basic readers with comprehension questions I used Sonlight readers grades 2 - 4/5. At this point I have him dictate summaries to me of some of the books he reads (he reads too much to do all of them).

For my second reader coming up I plan on using all of the early readers I have and asking questions that I come up with as we go.

I hope this helps.