Menu

S/O can anyone recommend a good inexpensive way to draw up our own will?

Office Max has forms.

You could check at your local courthouse and ask about their acceptability in court.

If I were in that spot, I'd go to a financial advisory or call United Way or such to get contact information. Many planners offer pro-bono advice appointments.

Start writing your questions down as they come. Once you turn that faucet on, they'll be pouring out....all the "what-if this happens, then what do I do."

Write them down, there's going to be a ton, and you will feel overwhelmed and even more lost if you don't.

In a partnership, you shouldn't be walking this alone; that's not fair.

But if you have to - do it.

I second Nolo Press. One thing I like about their books is that they walk you through a decision tree, and it's easy to figure out what to do because of that. Also, every so often, they just say that if you have 'this or that' situation, you're beyond the scope of a book and should talk with an attorney. It's good to know that they don't try to be all things to all people.

Even though this wasn't my question, just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation on Nolo books.

I'm a single parent, and with my Dad's recent illness, figuring out what would happen to DD has been looming over me. I know where I want her to go, unfortunately, I have a sneaking suspicion there will be some fighting, even with a will. :glare: I should probably see a lawyer and make sure my will is un-disputable, but frankly, I can't afford it right now.